OVH Community, your new community space.

USB Drive Removal Poll

mgv
14-08-2009, 23:01
Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedPros
If you want to get rid of the USB drive you could *accidentally* keep frying each drive until OVH just decides to not give you a new replacement
Well i would have thought the fact that i have had them replaced over and over they would have let me just switch them all out for a 6tb storage but well as these new deals suit me better maybe not everyone i have NO choice but to cancel all my servers and reset up all my stuff on the new servers just a pain in the ar*e

freshwire
14-08-2009, 22:17
As I've said before my USB drive comes as seperate invoice so I can cancel at any time. Which kinda sucks for all you lot cus I don't even want to cancel

DedicatedPros
14-08-2009, 18:21
If you want to get rid of the USB drive you could *accidentally* keep frying each drive until OVH just decides to not give you a new replacement

mgv
14-08-2009, 18:19
Quote Originally Posted by _Lemon_
My Vote: YES we should be allowed to remove them at our wish if we no longer require these devices

Just throwing my two cents in, I have plenty of EG AMD with these disks and would much rather removing the USB instead of having to let the server go (especially now with the set up costs).
Yep agreed with the new setup costs if i want to chnge servers it wirks out even more.

As for the USB`s i am now in over 48hrs for getting my ticket replied to "OVH Staff" have tried to chase it up for me but with no luck so far.

_Lemon_
14-08-2009, 15:33
My Vote: YES we should be allowed to remove them at our wish if we no longer require these devices

Just throwing my two cents in, I have plenty of EG AMD with these disks and would much rather removing the USB instead of having to let the server go (especially now with the set up costs).

*Mikee*
12-08-2009, 20:55
I've never had any issues with my usb hard drives - Just 1 time when ovh told me it was connected and it was not -- But they connected it and i mounted it and nothing's happend to it so far !!

Myatu
12-08-2009, 20:28
Quote Originally Posted by derchris
Could you order one during the initial ordering process?
AFAIK all is done through the manager interface?
I just tried an order - only option I had for an SP BestOf was the addition of a KVM. If it's still in the manager interface, like with the older plans (I still have it, I see), then OVH ought to let people know this option exists before they order... No?

mgv
12-08-2009, 20:22
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
I have a USB drive, and it broke a few days after getting it. Upon fixing, its been flawless since.

I do agree with allowing the removal of them however, since surely that increases turnover otherwise?
Lucky you Andy lol wish i had that luck PSU`s all replaced and now we have the USB Cable issue

derchris
12-08-2009, 19:54
Could you order one during the initial ordering process?
AFAIK all is done through the manager interface?

Myatu
12-08-2009, 19:45
I do agree with allowing the removal of them however, since surely that increases turnover otherwise?
You CAN'T order a USB drives with the new servers anymore (unless someone would be so kind to point me to a webpage where it says otherwise?). So the USB issues is "solved"... It's one of those few "Oh, we forgot to tell you" things that's been going on lately...

Andy
12-08-2009, 19:28
I have a USB drive, and it broke a few days after getting it. Upon fixing, its been flawless since.

mgv
12-08-2009, 19:27
I cant stress enought o any virgin OVH customers NOT to get a USB drive they will just cause you endless stress.

Once again why oh why do they not let you cancel them (why oh why)

slayer2005
12-08-2009, 17:25
I say get rid of the usb disks period!
There just a apin in the ass and always break.and ovh if u cant be arsed getting 1 of your staff to remove them then just dont do them...money money money!

mgv
12-08-2009, 17:23
another 2 seperate servers and a USB on each gone offline capute not to be seen now they are blaming the USB cables lol whats next ?

time to cancel and reorder on the new servers range with no USBs but damn i have to pay the setup fee

mgv
04-08-2009, 19:02
Quote Originally Posted by Halide
It boggles my mind that there isnt an option for this, thank god i never ordered one for my current server!

And i second the one other guy that said removal fee would be ok.
yep agreed i wood happily pay a removal fee just to get shot of these USB drives i have just had another 3 yes 3 on the same server all fail today and these are ones i have had the PSU`s of them replaced on so i have had them replaced with more faulty ones I am beginning to wonder if it is actually the PSU`s for 3 to go at the same time hmmmmmmmmm

Halide
01-08-2009, 22:45
It boggles my mind that there isnt an option for this, thank god i never ordered one for my current server!

And i second the one other guy that said removal fee would be ok.

mgv
31-07-2009, 16:41
Quote Originally Posted by ovhfan2
mgv, how did you find out that the interventions were related to power supplies and the usb disks? Do you mean the usb disks have been causing the power failure?
hi ovhfan2 yes i have monitoring turned off but i usually find out when i get home from work and i check all the drives by simply changing to the drive and doing an ls check on it which flings up I/O errors then reboot the server and the USB drive is offline i then put a ticket in to that effect and each time it has been the power supplys and as Andy says there has been a bad batch of USB PSU`s and OVH are switching them out as they fail but i have had all replaced on 1 server and still getting failures ! We will see how it goes tho by my reckoning i have had all the bad PSU`s on each of my servers (just my luck)

darkfyre
31-07-2009, 13:13
I also vote yes.

I initially thought it was sorta strange that you need to order a new server just to cancel a USB stick.

Andy
31-07-2009, 12:26
You are told in the intervention e-mail.

ovhfan2
31-07-2009, 12:24
How do you find out that the usb disk or its PSU is what is causing the downtime?

Andy
31-07-2009, 11:40
There was a batch of disks with bad psu's, and OVH is replacing the psu's as they fail with good ones from another batch. I've never had any problems with mine.

ovhfan2
31-07-2009, 11:23
mgv, how did you find out that the interventions were related to power supplies and the usb disks? Do you mean the usb disks have been causing the power failure?

mgv
30-07-2009, 21:47
Well this an old post but thought i would bring up the subject again after many problems and i am hearing others having the same issues.

Over the past month i have had 6/7 interventions for failed power supplys and 3 this week alone. I emailed customer support to find out IF after all the frustration of these USB drives i could cancel all the USBs i have 3 servers x 4 USBs each and replace them with a 6tb Storage Server but as the title of this poll says the option is not there !

Why not?

What are the reasons OVh have for not allowing us customers to cancel these?

Is there anyone else constantly having to have power supplys replaced?

*Mikee*
25-04-2009, 15:19
Yea i know all about this happend to me -

Andy
25-04-2009, 15:00
Quote Originally Posted by ThaDodo
Yes we should be able to do this... now i have to get a new server and end this one to get it removed
Thats one example of the hassle not being able to remove them can cause...

ThaDodo
25-04-2009, 13:51
Yes we should be able to do this... now i have to get a new server and end this one to get it removed

Andy
25-04-2009, 11:17
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
My USB drive is seperate from my server renewal. Different renewal date and everything.
Mine isn't, and mine automatically binded itself to the server under the same renewal date when I got it after some payment change pokery-jiggery which confused me, but it turned out it was to make them on the same date so I didn't have renewals all over the month. It was actually better that way.

MIODude
25-04-2009, 03:30
I wonder if they maybe just didn't want people to order it as short term upgrades.. and have to keep taking it or putting it back.. But surely they can think up some other options.. like minimum 6 month order or something

freshwire
25-04-2009, 00:49
My USB drive is seperate from my server renewal. Different renewal date and everything.

Andy
24-04-2009, 18:49
You're right, they should allow it. Why should you have to pay for something you no longer need? They can use them again for someone else. All they have to do is a 34 pass random data format and any data that was on it shouldn't be recoverable, if they're worried about security

tjm21
24-04-2009, 18:15
YES we should be allowed to remove them at our wish if we no longer require these devices.

I didn't realise you couldn't remove it from your server, I know I probably missed it when odering the hard drive which is my fault bit it can't be that clear

*Mikee*
24-04-2009, 18:14
But OVH should allow this -- It would be better for the clients
You can't, its automatically included in server renewal. There is no option to remove it.

Andy
24-04-2009, 17:54
You can't, its automatically included in server renewal. There is no option to remove it.

freshwire
24-04-2009, 17:53
Surely you just let the USB drive expire? IE not pay for renewal.

Ashley
24-04-2009, 13:33
I second this notion.

RikT
22-04-2009, 12:03
my answer is a resounding yes too

slayer2005
12-03-2009, 04:43
My answer is yes as ive a client who is letting his kimiL with usb disk go tommorow and hes upgrading to 4xl gbit witch is already orderd.
Now oles complains about the tourover,well i prob couldnt use or sell a kimiL with usb coz no1 would want the usb but selling the kimi is easy enuf.
So unless we get some kind of option theres another server added to the list.

*Mikee*
12-03-2009, 02:23
lol dont put thoughts into their heads
Quote Originally Posted by Abducted
My vote is yes too and i would understand if OVH asks for a removal fee.

Seedbox Paradis
12-03-2009, 00:48
My vote is yes as well, I know a lot of people that are unhappy about this

Abducted
11-03-2009, 23:23
My vote is yes too and i would understand if OVH asks for a removal fee.

wackomoo
11-03-2009, 14:29
My Vote: YES
Yep!

*Mikee*
10-03-2009, 17:09
Maybe for the staff to make polls
Quote Originally Posted by fozle
But there is a poll function on the forum.

fozl
10-03-2009, 16:57
Quote Originally Posted by Dave
My Vote: YES, I'd of ordered one before now if that was an option.

I think we should have a vote for a "vote function" on the forum too
But there is a poll function on the forum.

Andy
10-03-2009, 16:21
My Vote: YES

Dave
10-03-2009, 15:55
My Vote: YES, I'd of ordered one before now if that was an option.

I think we should have a vote for a "vote function" on the forum too

*Mikee*
10-03-2009, 15:52
Should we be allowed to remove our usb drives if we want to -- What do OVH clients think