OVH Community, your new community space.

CPU freezes ..but OVH support telling ...no problem is there with your CPU

rickyday
15-03-2009, 15:06
Sorry but you are a noob and really shouldnt have a dedicated server in my opinion.

But hey its a lovely sunny day!!

You really need to do some googling sir

All the information is available on the web and more.

Dave
14-03-2009, 23:58
Quote Originally Posted by Palad1n
Well remove Apache and Install Lighttpd if you need a Web Server.
Amen!

Myatu
14-03-2009, 23:36
When something is causing a high load on the CPU, it's not OVH's fault. YOU need to check where this high CPU load is coming from - Apache apparently. So check Apache's logs to see what's causing it...

Speaking of which, this week I've gotten a few hits from the "w00tw00t" scripted scanner originating from OVH servers. Maybe you've left yourself open to attacks by leaving Apache in its default configuration? Check...

The European
14-03-2009, 21:45

But looking at the BW being used, you might need to upgrade the Torrent Application you are using or Stop using Wine/uTorrent or Deluge as these use massive amounts of RAM and CPU Cycles.
You old cynic Palad1n. It is possibly to have 10MiB/s going out without running torrents

You might have been hacked and someone has another NX or SSH session open and is sharing files via Apache or another process, try getting root kit detection etc. check users, change passwords etc.
Have you tried a good old reboot, then apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, then reboot and see if that helps any?
It did occur to me that the installation might have been compromised but surely that's the first thing everyone checks?

As for clean-up. I advocate a fresh install as I just don't trust one that has previously been compromised. What if a binary was changed and rkhunter/chkrootkit isn't picking it up etc etc.

Palad1n
14-03-2009, 18:50

But looking at the BW being used, you might need to upgrade the Torrent Application you are using or Stop using Wine/uTorrent or Deluge as these use massive amounts of RAM and CPU Cycles.

You might have been hacked and someone has another NX or SSH session open and is sharing files via Apache or another process, try getting root kit detection etc. check users, change passwords etc.
Have you tried a good old reboot, then apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, then reboot and see if that helps any?

tsrivenkatesh
14-03-2009, 16:55
ya i had already seen the cpu statistics ... apache under 99.9%.. i did not even installed any site on that server.............. lol....

The European
14-03-2009, 16:39
Have you looked at the 'processes' tab to see what process is actually taking the time on the fully loaded core?

You might be better off using htop in a console window as it offers a better instantaneous representation of CPU and memory states.

From the console as root or sudoer:

Code:
apt-get install htop
Or you can use Synaptic and search for 'htop' and install it that way.

Once installed open a terminal [Applications>Accessories>Terminal] and issue:

Code:
htop
The default sort order in htop should show you the highest consuming process at the top of the list. It will also show you the load-average figures which are arguably a better indicator of the CPU state.

/EDIT Does anyone else know how much bandwidth the Ubuntu client viewer uses? If it's sending full pages at a high rate, it could consume a lot of bandwidth when in use.

A trick for derchris to try would be to log in via SSH only without the graphical client and run bmon (probably need to install bmon first).

derchris
14-03-2009, 16:21
I'm not doing off-site support via msn/yahoo/...

tsrivenkatesh
14-03-2009, 16:13
I am not a noob ............... Once you come to yahoo or msn .. i am waiting for you

derchris
14-03-2009, 16:09
You basicaly repeated what you were saying before.
But this doesn't make sense.

If a CPU is hitting 100%, then there is a process running using this CPU time.
It has nothing to do with the CPU itself

tsrivenkatesh
14-03-2009, 16:02
Its not single celeron processor to hit 100% cpu usage without any heavy load on it....................... I had another two Core 2 Duo servers with OVH which are running fine than this..I am waiting for you on yahoo and msn

derchris
14-03-2009, 15:59
Quote Originally Posted by tsrivenkatesh
Its not celeron processor to hit always 100%...........With out any heavy load on it..It hits always 100%................... my another server Core2Duo is much greater than this...............
Sorry, what ???

tsrivenkatesh
14-03-2009, 15:48
Its not celeron processor to hit always 100%...........With out any heavy load on it..It hits always 100%................... my another server Core2Duo is much greater than this...............

derchris
14-03-2009, 15:36
And what should it tell us?
That your CPU is hitting 100% ?
I can't see a fault with the CPU.

tsrivenkatesh
14-03-2009, 15:03
I had had opened a ticket in ovh stating that there is a problem with my CPU and my network ...but ovh support telling ......that tehy had tested my server and there nothing wrong with my CPU and Network ..................why they are not listening to me.......... These are screen shots of my server