We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Gbit up speed issue ?

Andy
22-05-2009, 10:58
Quote Originally Posted by glidewave
Just a note: Disk overload is not an issue on a box running utorrent unless you are doing 200mbps+ or haven't set the proper advanced cache settings (ie 4x the top speed you have)... You do, however, have to have enough ram to utilize those settings.
Not necessarily true, it depends how the disk is being written to. uTorrent won't write linearly so its read/write speeds will be compromised. If it did write linearly then it would easily exceed 200Mbps (you'd get more like 400Mbps). However due to the nature of it not downloading in order, it won't write in order either. Thats why torrents often go slower than an FTP/HTTP transfer. FTP/HTTP is more linear.

You won't have this problem with SSD hard drives since they have virtually zero seek time, which doesn't affect their ability to read/write non-linearly to such an extent as a mechanical hard drive.

glidewave
21-05-2009, 23:36
Quote Originally Posted by HANNApree
I agree with slayer2005 disk ovaload is a big problem on the 1gbit boxs if using utorrent. Compared to my other 100mbit box no disk ovaload downloads and uploads the same time so somthing needs to be done with the hdd as there no good on these 1gbit boxs
Just a note: Disk overload is not an issue on a box running utorrent unless you are doing 200mbps+ or haven't set the proper advanced cache settings (ie 4x the top speed you have)... You do, however, have to have enough ram to utilize those settings.

elvis1
17-05-2009, 05:20
how much do the servers in discussion cost ( monthly basis)?

Scott Curtis
23-06-2008, 23:41
I went through with this problem many months ago with the argument going back and forth and how the speeds were not right because it was out of OVH network and all kinds of other BS. What you will find in the end is with the Gigaserver you will hit speeds of around 40-50 mb/s and it will not in full duplex. What will happen is your DL will zip through and then the upload will start. I have found that a 700mb torrent will be done in about 35-40 seconds and then start uploading so in the end it really isn't that bad of a deal. The same thing will happen with a larger file with it taking a little while longer to dl is all. I strongly suggest you go to a Linux OS and use rTorrent for the best speeds and reliability. rTorrent running under Debian 4.0 Etch will rock your world!

IainK
06-05-2008, 18:22
With Windows 2003 std you can indeed remote desktop in, however without a terminal services license only Administrators can use this functionality and only two at once.

moddie1
06-05-2008, 17:01
ok spoke to the office they know there a problem they are looking in to what they can do about it will update you when i find out whats happening thats the speed of the server

crowarth
06-05-2008, 16:42
Well im quite the newbie here, and still waiting for my 100/100 to be deployed. but suffice to say what i've read here seems to suggest that the service is generally good. i fired off 3 emails to tech support over 3 days enquiring about status, and they all got replied to by different people today so far impressed by telephone support as well. helpful and honest.

with the windows 2003 standard edition, i take it you remote desktop to the machine to control it as such ? hmm, this probably calls for a new thread

moddie1
06-05-2008, 13:04
i will ask the office to look at mine again

oles@ovh.net
05-05-2008, 23:44
blinkey a écrit:
>
> Ok ovh eventually took a proper look at my line admitting some tweaking
> was needed. But unfortunately no change, for a guarantee to me that it
> was not me or the networks i was on i even paid 450 pounds for a
> Leaseweb unlimited Giga and tried that on the same files. Constantly
> without fail i got up to 58MB/s on the ovh Gbit i never got more than
> 2MB/s stable... my home connection works better it really does.

okey for the "story" version. now, I need the technical informations.
do you have any traceroute, the logs about the "slow" download,
can you give me the command to see/check what you say ?

Andy
05-05-2008, 23:30
Quote Originally Posted by moddie1
i will have to give mine back been testing this week end its crap i am going back to 100mbit server Server Load: gets to high harddrives cant be working well neither
As I've said before, SATA hard drives are not designed to sustain high data transfer. You'd be lucky to get 25-40MB/s sustained whe both uploading and downloading quickly. If you want good hard drive performance get a server with SCSI disks. Even the best SATA disks can only sustain 80MB/s while writing a linear pattern and less than that when writing and reading from several different locations every second.

moddie1
05-05-2008, 23:19
i will have to give mine back been testing this week end its crap i am going back to 100mbit server Server Load: gets to high harddrives cant be working well neither

blinkey
05-05-2008, 19:40
Thanks for the advice andy i will ask them to change the card if it is my nic card but all drivers seem to be up to date ? oh well we live in hope

I will add they have tried so the techs are cool in my book well some of them

Andy
05-05-2008, 19:27
Quote Originally Posted by blinkey
Ok ovh eventually took a proper look at my line admitting some tweaking was needed. But unfortunately no change, for a guarantee to me that it was not me or the networks i was on i even paid 450 pounds for a Leaseweb unlimited Giga and tried that on the same files. Constantly without fail i got up to 58MB/s on the ovh Gbit i never got more than 2MB/s stable... my home connection works better it really does.

I have even gone as far to try and get another but i will not be sending personal data through the post sorry.

I hope ovh either give me a massive discount or free server for the month as a sign of good faith as this Gbit has been the biggest single pain of my computing life !

again though the 100/100 is brilliant

i will post back the end results of my issue
Perhaps there is an issue with the actual NIC hardware itself causing this problem? As you know I've said several times my friend has had 3 different Gbps servers from OVH and each has performed equally well and often maxing out.

I had a NIC issue with my server when I first got it and they point blank refused to change the NIC or my server for another and being adiment it wasn't faulty. They were of course right in my case as it turned out to be the driver but that isn't always the case...

I'm happy to see you're pushing for this since OVH will lose custom if they don't at least try to solve it.

blinkey
05-05-2008, 19:22
Ok ovh eventually took a proper look at my line admitting some tweaking was needed. But unfortunately no change, for a guarantee to me that it was not me or the networks i was on i even paid 450 pounds for a Leaseweb unlimited Giga and tried that on the same files. Constantly without fail i got up to 58MB/s on the ovh Gbit i never got more than 2MB/s stable... my home connection works better it really does.

I have even gone as far to try and get another but i will not be sending personal data through the post sorry.

I hope ovh either give me a massive discount or free server for the month as a sign of good faith as this Gbit has been the biggest single pain of my computing life !

again though the 100/100 is brilliant

i will post back the end results of my issue

moddie1
03-05-2008, 14:59
they have sort it out now mazy i am very pleased thank you ovh

mazy
02-05-2008, 22:37
i got the 1gb windows server today excellent speeds 1,36gb uploaded in 2 mins i love it fantastic speeds i have had no problems what so ever and download speeds are just as good i can uplaod and download with great speeds both ways thankyou ovh i love it sorry about your moddie lol

moddie1
02-05-2008, 18:23
harddrive arent up to it

IainK
01-05-2008, 23:27
Savage to hear that the speeds aren't up to scratch for you on *nix.
I recommend playing with the disk cache if there is such an option as this can yield massive improvements - sometimes up to a further 10-20MB/s if your problem is down to disk access.

Deffo worth a shot. If not and the service isn't living up to your expectations you should at least try for a refund!

moddie1
01-05-2008, 19:42
andy linux was some disappointing if this not work to night i am going back to my old server company

Andy
01-05-2008, 19:38
The problem on Windows with too high a speed is down to the NIC driver. A simple update will solve the problem. It can be done through Windows updates.

moddie1
01-05-2008, 19:18
we are changing to windows to night to see but i will not hold my breath theres a problem from server company

mazy
01-05-2008, 18:39
mazy you will when you get your server speed sucks i wish i kept my old server it was better than Connection 1 Gbps what a laugh more like Connection 100 Mbps
i still not got mine so i can not comment what i dont understand in another thread i read it was windows server that had problems with crashing due to 2 fast speeds and it was said linux works great i know another guy with windows 1gb and hes getting excellent speeds with deludge maybe ask them to change your server from linux to windows

moddie1
01-05-2008, 01:52
mazy you will when you get your server speed sucks i wish i kept my old server it was better than Connection 1 Gbps what a laugh more like Connection 100 Mbps

mazy
30-04-2008, 19:13
thankyou slayer thats what i will set mine at thats still a great speed and good enough for me ok i know some will say but its a 1gb server and thats crap speed but i say this when you have paid 200 pound a month for a server with 80gb harddrive that was not 1gb speed. 30mb speed is alot better than i had and alot cheaper and alot bigger harddrive how can i moan im saving 100 a month and got alot bigger server for half the price so its excellent

slayer2005
29-04-2008, 21:23
deluge is lots more stable,30mb without crashing.

Andy
29-04-2008, 21:04
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
To be fair though, the new reloaded range have sata hard drives rather than IDE so they will work a lot faster
Common misconception that SATA is faster than IDE. Sure the interface speed is but not the disk itself

What is true though, is the larger in size the disk is, the fast it is due to the space between the tracks being smaller. EG a 750GB disk will be faster than a 500GB disk. Probably not by a huge amount, but the difference is there.

www.hdtune.com is a free utility that will test the maximum sustain speed you can get from the disk (for windows). You'll be surprised by the results.

IainK
29-04-2008, 20:52
To be fair though, the new reloaded range have sata hard drives rather than IDE so they will work a lot faster

moddie1
29-04-2008, 20:36
very true limit your up or down loads

mazy
29-04-2008, 19:48
i think by reading whats been put its best to make sure we dont do 100MB/s i will make sure i have it set at less speed i dont see the point in allowing that kind of speed if it causes problems better to have slower speeds thats still fast speeds but speeds that wont cause problems

Andy
29-04-2008, 19:05
You must also remember that the hard disk will be incapable of 100MB/s sustained speeds also, again, something overlooked by people who don't know how a server and its network is run.

mazy
29-04-2008, 18:49
Remember people that most seeders of torrents are using home lines with under 1Mbps uploads. So even with 200 seeders you are rarely going to get more than 200Mbps down speed, that's not including peers sucking the seeds either.

BitTorrent is no sure way to measure bandwidth, find someone with a Gigabit box, setup an FTP server and open 10 slots to his server with a download manager. Download that file and note the speed. That will be FAR more accurate.

Also if you need that pure raw gigE speed, other hosts here in the UK will happily give you a dedicated Gigabit connection with guaranteed bandwidth for the low low price of around £3,995/month.
You are paying £100/month? £90? £80?.......
yes your spot on there with torrents the only way to guarantee good speed on torrent is if there is seeders with servers and even then it can differ in speed i have orderd the 1gb windows server and to be honest i dont expect to hit that kind of speed i have a 100 one at the min and i never hit that speed so its cool at least its better speed than home pc 30kb lmao and yes these 1gb server are dirt cheap no wonder they got loads of peeps wanting them i have shopped about and the cheapest i can find after ovh want 700 pound a month

mazy
29-04-2008, 18:43
slayer thats speed is very good lol i would be happy with that i here its got issues with utorrent but is ok with deludge i mainly use ftp so if its ok with that i will be happy

slayer2005
29-04-2008, 18:13
The gbit dosent perform gr8 but it dosent perform bad.
Ive had 55mb on utoz but itl crash.
I have yet to test it out on ftp,but another lad who has a ovh gbit has told me hes had 60mb on 1 thread from .nl gbit dump.
So they do work,but there not great because of the HDs.

Andy
29-04-2008, 17:53
Remember people that most seeders of torrents are using home lines with under 1Mbps uploads. So even with 200 seeders you are rarely going to get more than 200Mbps down speed, that's not including peers sucking the seeds either.

BitTorrent is no sure way to measure bandwidth, find someone with a Gigabit box, setup an FTP server and open 10 slots to his server with a download manager. Download that file and note the speed. That will be FAR more accurate.

Also if you need that pure raw gigE speed, other hosts here in the UK will happily give you a dedicated Gigabit connection with guaranteed bandwidth for the low low price of around £3,995/month.
Finally someone to back me up. Thank you.

IainK
29-04-2008, 17:35

Andy
29-04-2008, 14:50
Quote Originally Posted by jester12
wtf andy now ur chatting bubbles mate slow speeds from isp i dont think so lets say from 200 +seeder most with servers themself
im no noob when it comes to servers mate...first find out what ovh is all about pm emails phonecalls and all there care about it the $ or my other server would be setup and moddies aswell..72 wait slots should be remove false advertisement...

and just to test it wasnt the seeders ****e speeds andy i tested it from another 1 gig line from else where and the max speeds from the ovh to XXX server max was 12MB transfers speeds and trust me its not the other server as i seed 18-25MB speeds easy...so andy maybe the kimi they gave u to support there forum u should give back and become a normal person instead of being up ovh arse mate...yeah u try to help mate all respect but u know nish about ovh except u have a server with um big deal so have i..and still waiting a week for my 1 hour setup time :0
I'm sorry? I should remind you that I pay for my server and my time spent here trying to help people is voluntary. It is obvious nobody can help you and you are never going to stay with OVH for your service. I suggest you leave this forum and go and look for someone else to argue with. You obviously don't know the workings of servers of networks. If you did you would understand a lot about what is going on with the OVH servers and networks and the way they operate.

moddie1
29-04-2008, 14:33
i will wait and see when i get it and then make judgement

mazy
29-04-2008, 13:58
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
A friend of mine has 1Gbps and he has no problems. As long as you are in SLA mode and not noSLA there NO LIMITS. If you are getting poor speeds it is likely down to your own ISP, not OVH.
hmmm now im confuse what as my own isp got to do with speeds on a server as i use btcentral my speeds get capped thats the reason i use a server the company i have got a server from at the moment i get great speeds as the server as nothing to do with my isp can you explain what my isp has to do with a ovh server at the moment i use remote desktop to get to my server im assuming it will be the same when i get this server or do you mean poor speeds if im getting something from the server to my pc as if so yes i understand that i can only get as fast as my isp allows same as if i upload to server from pc it sucks but thats something that i have to live with thats not the server hosts fault atall

jester12
29-04-2008, 13:09
wtf andy now ur chatting bubbles mate slow speeds from isp i dont think so lets say from 200 +seeder most with servers themself
im no noob when it comes to servers mate...first find out what ovh is all about pm emails phonecalls and all there care about it the $ or my other server would be setup and moddies aswell..72 wait slots should be remove false advertisement...

and just to test it wasnt the seeders ****e speeds andy i tested it from another 1 gig line from else where and the max speeds from the ovh to XXX server max was 12MB transfers speeds and trust me its not the other server as i seed 18-25MB speeds easy...so andy maybe the kimi they gave u to support there forum u should give back and become a normal person instead of being up ovh arse mate...yeah u try to help mate all respect but u know nish about ovh except u have a server with um big deal so have i..and still waiting a week for my 1 hour setup time :0

Andy
29-04-2008, 11:38
A friend of mine has 1Gbps and he has no problems. As long as you are in SLA mode and not noSLA there NO LIMITS. If you are getting poor speeds it is likely down to your own ISP, not OVH.

mazy
29-04-2008, 11:13
jester i have also orderd the 1gb server the windows 1 i really hope they have sorted these problems out that you have had lol as its no good if speed sucks

jester12
29-04-2008, 09:48
yep thats true moddie mate your not gettign what you pay for...1gig my ass mate
they even told me they was 100mb lines and something technical to confuse me
but if ur looking for great speed the gig one isnt what ur looking for moddie

moddie1
29-04-2008, 09:42
what you saying jester 12 peeps not getting what they pay for why don't you get in in touch with ovh and they will help you put it right

jester12
29-04-2008, 01:29
listen ive tested and tried and they suck big time no way on earth is that server 5X20mb more like 5X2mb the speed sucked big style..and yeah u checked the server out with no fault finding

moddie1
28-04-2008, 22:22
thanks andy

Andy
28-04-2008, 22:19
SLA mode, what does this mean please
SLA is the bandwidth mode. 100Mbps servers cannot leave this mode. 1Gbps servers can be put into SLA mode or noSLA mode depending on how much bandwidth you use.

SLA is is a Service Level Agreement. It basically states how much bandwidth you are guaranteed. If you have SLA, you are guaranteed the bandwidth you pay for. In noSLA, you are not in any way guaranteed any bandwidth.

moddie1
28-04-2008, 22:16
SLA mode, what does this mean please

Andy
28-04-2008, 21:59
However, people in places like America, Asia, Japan, Australia etc will get 20Mbps connection to your server, on their Transit link.
I should point out this applies only if your 1Gbps server is in noSLA mode.

In SLA mode everything is unrestricted.

IainK
28-04-2008, 21:56
The best way to look at it is like this.

OVH are peered with Linx, who are peered with most UK Internet Service Providers. Peered just means they are linked and any transfer between the two is always free.
This is also the case for most Dutch ISPs as they are peered with AMS-IX, and many other European countries.
This means that people from Europe will very rarely ever have to use the Transit, which is Internet connected everywhere that people pay for.

So since the speed limits only apply to Transit, and not peering, people in the UK can max out your Gbps server. However, people in places like America, Asia, Japan, Australia etc will get 20Mbps connection to your server, on their Transit link.

And people in America etc will still only be limited if you regularly go over 101 Mbps on your server.

But people in Europe should never be limited. Even if you use your whole connection all the time.
Not on the countries where the servers are sold anyway!

Andy
28-04-2008, 21:35
Quote Originally Posted by mazy
thankyou andy yes thats what i will do to be honest i cant see me every hitting that kind of speed but i will make sure i dont go over it its still alot better value for money than what i get at the moment so i am well pleased
Just so you know, I often max out my 100Mbps. I have done almost 4TB this month so far and no restriction in speed. You could do the full 34TB possible on 100Mbps if you wanted with no problems.

mazy
28-04-2008, 21:31
thankyou andy yes thats what i will do to be honest i cant see me every hitting that kind of speed but i will make sure i dont go over it its still alot better value for money than what i get at the moment so i am well pleased

moddie1
28-04-2008, 21:26
i understand now andy

Andy
28-04-2008, 21:25
Quote Originally Posted by mazy
ok i got ya so all i need to do is make sure i dont let my speeds go to 101Mbps that actually sound fair to me as that is a very very high speed for uploading r download so can it be set in noSLA so that i would never reach 101mbps speeds are would i need to set this in ftp are any client i use to make sure i dont go over that speed i appreciate this help andy
Going over 101Mbps occasionally is fine. The noSLA activation is a human decision. OVH staff will look at the bandwidth graphs and decide if it is necessary to put the server into noSLA mode.

If you only break the 101Mbps barrier occasionally then they probably won't bother.

EDIT: The only other thing you could do is force the network card to only connect at 100Mbps. This is possible from the network cards driver configuration in device manager in Windows.

mazy
28-04-2008, 21:22
ok i got ya so all i need to do is make sure i dont let my speeds go to 101Mbps that actually sound fair to me as that is a very very high speed for uploading r download so can it be set in noSLA so that i would never reach 101mbps speeds are would i need to set this in ftp are any client i use to make sure i dont go over that speed i appreciate this help andy

Andy
28-04-2008, 21:12
moddie1,

I have put it into as plain English as humanly possible. If you can't understand that then I'm sorry. I can't help you further.

mazy,

No the server is not cut to 100Mbps, but at certain times, transit speed limits apply. That is, 20Mbps per server per transit, but only in noSLA mode. If you don't use over 101Mbps then you will remain in SLA mode, which is unlimited at all times on transit and peering.

During the limits, the maximum speed of the server is still 1Gbps if you have a 1Gbps connection. This is 5x20Mbps in transit and the remaining unlimited in peering (peering is the connections with other transits that have no cost, since the transits use the same pipe for routing their own connections).

As I said, you should look up on peering and transit, and their differences. I don't know how to explain it any clearer.

mazy
28-04-2008, 21:08
If your server is in noSLA mode, at peak times of the day you will be limited to 20Mbps per transit. OVH have 5 transit pipes. So that means you can use 20Mbps x 5 = 100Mbps on the transit pipes. Peering is unlimited no matter if you're on SLA or noSLA.

From what I understand:-
Transit = Paid pipes, thus the limit otherwise the cost would be unjustified.
Peering = Links with other transits on the basis they can use the pipe for their own uses as well, meaning its free no matter what the bandwidth use.

From this, it is entirely possible to max out 1Gbps.
ok so what your saying is if we allow these 1gb server go at full speed all the time we get cut from 1gb speed to 100mbs speed during times through the day is that right if so im happy as the server host i have been using i get 100mbs speed but when i have done 3tb im cut to 10mb speed so if what your saying is what i think your saying its very very good for me and much better that what i have and cheaper

moddie1
28-04-2008, 21:05
andy we all not has clever has you m8 in English what are you saying

Andy
28-04-2008, 21:03
You obviously don't understand the workings of servers and networks then. I suggest you do some reading on network peering and transit.

moddie1
28-04-2008, 21:00
you have lost me m8

Processor
Intel Xeon 3075
2x 2.66 GHz L2: 4 MB, FSB: 1333 MHz
or
Core2Duo E6750
Architecture 64 bits
Ram 4 GB DDR2
Hard disk 2x 750 GB
Type of disk SATA2 RAID HARD 1
Connection 1 Gbps
Bandwidth 1 Gbps
Traffic included unlimited
Fixed IP 1 address
IP Fail-over +4 addresses
FTP backup 750 GB

this is what i am getting

Andy
28-04-2008, 20:45
andy so what you saying where do we get capped
If your server is in noSLA mode, at peak times of the day you will be limited to 20Mbps per transit. OVH have 5 transit pipes. So that means you can use 20Mbps x 5 = 100Mbps on the transit pipes. Peering is unlimited no matter if you're on SLA or noSLA.

From what I understand:-
Transit = Paid pipes, thus the limit otherwise the cost would be unjustified.
Peering = Links with other transits on the basis they can use the pipe for their own uses as well, meaning its free no matter what the bandwidth use.

From this, it is entirely possible to max out 1Gbps.

moddie1
28-04-2008, 20:41
andy so what you saying where do we get capped

Andy
28-04-2008, 20:25
If it states unlimited, it is unlimited. The SLA/noSLA is basically a fair usage policy without you having to worry about it. It simply stops abuse of the bandwidth. Its still possible to max out 1Gbps depending on the transit, peering and time of day. I know this as a friend of mine has a 1Gbps server and does it fairly often through torrents.

moddie1
28-04-2008, 20:21
when i order i asked if they were unlimited they say yes tolla was the one i spoke to

IainK
28-04-2008, 20:13
Indeed, they really really really should. Unfortunately the policy wasn't even clearly explained until on the forums a week ago.

moddie1
28-04-2008, 20:12
well they should say what you are allowed my last server was unlimited and thats what i got

IainK
28-04-2008, 20:12
The speed cuts are not based on how many gigs you transfer it is based on if you burst over 101Mbps on the MRTG graphs.
If you do then the staff will put your server into noSLA mode.

However, if you are accessing your server through an ISP that is peered to the OVH network this is not subject to speed cuts. Only ISPs accessing through main transit.

It's a very weird policy I have to say, one that would probably put me off the gigE servers.

mazy
28-04-2008, 20:07
there is alot of places put unlimted but actually do cut the speeds to 10mb when you have done a transfer of 3tb before the month is up we will have to wait and see

moddie1
28-04-2008, 20:03
hmmm i thought unlimited means that see how it goes

IainK
28-04-2008, 19:47
Incase anyone hasn't considered it, the 100mbit servers are not subject to noSLA mode, however these gigabit servers are.
This means that when using more than 101Mbps your server can be put into noSLA resulting in reduced connectivity speeds during the day.
The exact speeds are:
you have 100Mbps or 1Gbps between your server and
our network.
our network have the peerings and the transit.
there is no limit on the peering 24h per day.
there is no limit on the transit between 11pm and 9am.
there is a limit 20Mbps per server AND per each transit
between 9am and 11pm. we have 5 transit, so 5x20Mbps
on the transit PER server.
The whole noSLA affair is very confusing and deffinately should be communicated better before you are ordering your server. The full post and responses can be found here.

moddie1
28-04-2008, 18:13
hope mine ok Processor
Intel Xeon 3075
or
Core2Duo E6750
Architecture 64 bits
Ram 4 GB DDR2
Hard disk 2x 750 GB
Type of disk SATA2 RAID HARD 1
Connection 1 Gbps
Bandwidth 1 Gbps
Traffic included unlimited
Fixed IP 1 address
IP Fail-over +4 addresses
FTP backup 750 GB

linux

JALZOO
19-04-2008, 00:28
I just noticed with the "Reloaded" servers that the minimum priced 1GBPS server has gone up to 99GBP.. Were as the old one was 79.99GBP and as i recall didnt even have a SATA2 HDD.. but ovh is deffinatly looking on the up for the value of there servers!..

Worm
19-04-2008, 00:00
Linux handles a lot better than Windows, I/O is nearly spotless, but still has 10 seconds or so at the end of each finishing. I would highly recommend Fedora 6, even to linux n00bs.
It is very easy to get wine + utorrent + webui + vnc, a little googling should do the trick.

@ FTP, yeah, I get rubbish speeds everywhere, so am not impressed with that.
My server seems to hit 5mB/s and 1mB/s constantly, which could be better, but I can't complain :-)

Andy
18-04-2008, 16:54
Quote Originally Posted by slayer2005
Yup im considering going back to 100mbit as even if i set my download to 15mb it just seems a waste to pay for the gbit when im getn 2.5mb extra...is it really worth it.
Disk cashe on my server is always set to 1200mb on 100mbit or gbit.

But yhea i dont think we can solve this problem.
,Maybe using linux would fix this im not sure as im not great with linux.
I'm not sure Linux would handle the disk I/O any better than Windows would since its more to do with the software than the OS.

slayer2005
18-04-2008, 16:04
YHea ive been using deluge ever since ive had it,works much better than utorrent but still not perfect.Writes the disk much better but you wont get gr8 speeds.Most ive had is 30mb.

milanyc
18-04-2008, 15:53
Try Deluge, thank me later
Cheers.

slayer2005
18-04-2008, 15:03
Yup im considering going back to 100mbit as even if i set my download to 15mb it just seems a waste to pay for the gbit when im getn 2.5mb extra...is it really worth it.
Disk cashe on my server is always set to 1200mb on 100mbit or gbit.

But yhea i dont think we can solve this problem.
,Maybe using linux would fix this im not sure as im not great with linux.

milanyc
18-04-2008, 14:36
uTorrent simply cannot keep up with the data written and its a chronic problem on fast servers, even with better disks. Find an alternative.

Andy
18-04-2008, 14:11
Quote Originally Posted by HANNApree
I agree with slayer2005 disk ovaload is a big problem on the 1gbit boxs if using utorrent. Compared to my other 100mbit box no disk ovaload downloads and uploads the same time so somthing needs to be done with the hdd as there no good on these 1gbit boxs
I'd like you to find a hard disk that can sustain 100MB/s read and write spead. Its virtually impossible. Even disks in RAID0 will not easily sustain 100MB/s. If they write data in a linear sequence, they will be fine, but when they have to write data, move somewhere else to read data for seeding, then move back for writing, that latency slows it down one hell of a lot.

One thing you can do is increase utorrents disk cache up to 512mb-1gb and see if that helps. It certainly helped my 100Mbps server keep a stable speed.

HANNApree
18-04-2008, 13:37

IainK
18-04-2008, 03:58
I for one would also like to know why there have been no replies from OVH regarding the blatent rudeness of Oles. Sure I stood by him but there is no excuse to be rude to customers, or potential customers. Thats how you LOSE money.
Not to be offensive but if Oles is the owner of the company his staff are not likely to pass comment.

And on topic this isn't right. Switch box now if you can't get above 15KB/s uploads, my £14.99/mo kimsufi will do 11MB/s easy.

blinkey
18-04-2008, 03:16
Problem is when you ae struggling to push 1Mb/s each way the disk issue seems something to think about in the far future + i did run disk transfer checks and they were fine, 58MB/s each way.
Their is something else here and it seems to be either...
A, My hardware failing somewhere (i have ran tests and they all came back fine) or...
B, The Gbit routing is suffering.

Either way 15KB/s (my avg up speed, i am not joking either) is not going to cause disk overload so this is not the problem i have extensive knowledge of ide,sata,sata2,sas drives and assure you the sata disk i have is not close to overload, the Gbit routing is faulty or my box is (have tried reinstalation ect).

slayer2005
18-04-2008, 00:54
Yhea i do,but still will crash.
I just think you need better quality discs for a gbit server,as standard sata can not cope with the speed being written.

Andy
18-04-2008, 00:50
I broke the raid.So surley now im on raid 0 rather then hard 1...i thik lol
If you see both drives as one big drive, then yes you're in RAID0.

slayer2005
18-04-2008, 00:45
I broke the raid.So surley now im on raid 0 rather then hard 1...i thik lol

Andy
18-04-2008, 00:36
I assume they would indeed.
Maybe gbit server just need better disk drives toy utilize the maximum speed. :-/
Thats where RAID0 rather than RAID1 would help, but you lose your redundancy.

slayer2005
18-04-2008, 00:08
I assume they would indeed.
Maybe gbit server just need better disk drives toy utilize the maximum speed. :-/

Andy
17-04-2008, 23:35
Yhea i agree,ive had ovh 100mbit without any problems.
So heres the subject again as blinky says.
Is there a issue with gbit servers.
Are there disk drives bad!
Wouldn't they use the same disk drives as the other servers? Doesn't make sense if they don't.

slayer2005
17-04-2008, 23:33
Yhea i agree,ive had ovh 100mbit without any problems.
So heres the subject again as blinky says.
Is there a issue with gbit servers.
Are there disk drives bad!

Andy
17-04-2008, 22:07
Yhea been said before.disk ovaload.if using utorrent i can get to 55mb but after 1 minute it will simply crash,and if it manages not to crash,3quarters of the data wont be there because of the disk lag.
As i said before deluge is more stable,u wont get 50mb but ul get 25 and 9/10 the data will be written fully.
I can only think you have a bad disk then. My server can happily do 100Mbps no problem. Any hard disk should do at least 30MB/s (300Mbps) without disk lag unless you're doing very intensive work.

slayer2005
17-04-2008, 22:05
Yhea been said before.disk ovaload.if using utorrent i can get to 55mb but after 1 minute it will simply crash,and if it manages not to crash,3quarters of the data wont be there because of the disk lag.
As i said before deluge is more stable,u wont get 50mb but ul get 25 and 9/10 the data will be written fully.

Andy
17-04-2008, 21:04
Good luck to your friend i hope he has a little less of a stressfull time with it .
Well he's had Gbps before and came close to maxing it out on many occasions to various places, even torrents.

Something that he did mention was its very difficult to reach maximum because of "hard disk lag". EG, the speed of the hard disk can't keep up with the amount of data being served. This I presume is the problem for 99% of cases when people can't seem to get very high.

He also said, 1Gbps servers aren't meant to be maxed out, they're just there to provide more bandwidth than 100Mbps. He finds it hard to max out his home local network on 1Gbps and his drives are even in RAID0 for maximum speed.

Something worth thinking about, and something I'd not even thought of.

blinkey
17-04-2008, 19:10
Good luck to your friend i hope he has a little less of a stressfull time with it .

Andy
17-04-2008, 09:56
I have tested it on numerous occasions under a massive set of variables (for a week) and it is not working OK.

You are on the 100 switch Andy and i can assure you the Gbit is a different beast, it is unusable and i do not say that lightly. It barely passes as a home connection.
I have tried it on servers in .nl .co.uk and had awful results and the same fashion continues around all .eu and elsewhere to be honest.
Well not having one I can't test it, but my friend just ordered the cheapest Gbps server OVH offer and he is going to test that when he gets it.

blinkey
17-04-2008, 08:25
I have tested it on numerous occasions under a massive set of variables (for a week) and it is not working OK.

You are on the 100 switch Andy and i can assure you the Gbit is a different beast, it is unusable and i do not say that lightly. It barely passes as a home connection.
I have tried it on servers in .nl .co.uk and had awful results and the same fashion continues around all .eu and elsewhere to be honest.

Andy
16-04-2008, 19:03
I simply live in an area that Blueyonder before virgin specified as a test node didn't have to do anything for it.

Pings are fine but that is just a ping when trying to use this server in ANY capacity besides ftp from ovh 2 ovh it is very poor. I have just done numerous speed tests and at this time of day i can not even get more that 1MB/s up or down.
Even to other servers in France.

That simply is not good enough for the fee i give imo.

Considering i have not even had a reply asking why they were so rude 2 days ago or over my request to simply try another server (i would even pay a fee to get moved), i have also decided to give up the 100/100 box also in protest over their casual disregard for customers with a genuine issue.

Again the performance of their 100/100 boxes seems excellent and would recommend them but the Gbit series fall a long way short so please be wary if buying Gbit.
Remember that routing outside of OVH's network has nothing to do with them. If it goes over a bad network, then obviously you're going to get slow speeds. Unfortunately OVH can't solve this. I don't believe they would blatently slow down a Gbps server slower than 100Mbps server. It just doesn't make sense. I had someone from sweden max out my 100Mbps server no problem at all with 10 ftp connections. I can get full speed at home (4Mbps) and full speed at work (6.2Mbps), and my boss can even get full speed at home (20Mbps), and all of that at the same time.

I for one would also like to know why there have been no replies from OVH regarding the blatent rudeness of Oles. Sure I stood by him but there is no excuse to be rude to customers, or potential customers. Thats how you LOSE money.

blinkey
16-04-2008, 17:33
I simply live in an area that Blueyonder before virgin specified as a test node didn't have to do anything for it.

Pings are fine but that is just a ping when trying to use this server in ANY capacity besides ftp from ovh 2 ovh it is very poor. I have just done numerous speed tests and at this time of day i can not even get more that 1MB/s up or down.
Even to other servers in France.

That simply is not good enough for the fee i give imo.

Considering i have not even had a reply asking why they were so rude 2 days ago or over my request to simply try another server (i would even pay a fee to get moved), i have also decided to give up the 100/100 box also in protest over their casual disregard for customers with a genuine issue.

Again the performance of their 100/100 boxes seems excellent and would recommend them but the Gbit series fall a long way short so please be wary if buying Gbit.

Andy
14-04-2008, 20:39
Quote Originally Posted by phillip
Not to contradict you Andy, I've gotten 11MB/s down, 8MB/s up at the same time on my Kimsufi.

Just got this reply from OVH.

Dear Sir / Madam,

I can confirm that

the incoming bandwidth + the outgoing is equal to 100Mbps,

and it is NOT

100Mbps incoming + 100Mbps outgoing = 200Mbps.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any further queries.

Also don't forget to check out our latest offers for the .UK domains (me.uk , org.uk & co.uk) for only 1 pound with 100 loyalty points and our brand new loyalty scheme, to save you even more money on our quality products. Here is where you can find out more information regarding these:

http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/domains.xml
http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/loyalty.xml

Kind Regards,
Marco,
OVH

Andy
14-04-2008, 17:47
Quote Originally Posted by JALZOO
Arent they due to start rolling out 50mb on DOCSIS3 around August time?..
Well that was the plan but it doesn't look like they will be at the rate they're going. Once DOCSIS3 is out they're supposed to be moving the 20Mbps tier onto it as well as launching 50Mbps, so that will take the strain off the DOCSIS2 network for 2Mbps and 4Mbps (to become 10Mbps).

JALZOO
14-04-2008, 17:44
Arent they due to start rolling out 50mb on DOCSIS3 around August time?..

Andy
14-04-2008, 16:57
Quote Originally Posted by JALZOO
How did you manage to get on a virginmedia test node?..

Its about time virginmedia started seriously doing some work with there networking!!..

Oh and assuming he's your BOSS maybe he has a BUSINESS line.. but andy i do think that is a lie if you say he is on virginmedia.. And gets 2.3mb/s Especially if he downloaded the file during 4-12!.
I can assure you it is not a lie and he does get full speed on a residential line. Not all areas are oversubscribed you know. And it is quite possible to get full speed between 4-12. You would understand if you knew how the STM worked, as I have studied very thoroughly since it affects me a lot.

For your information Virgin are doing work on the network but its so expensive and its taking so long its kind of not working... The upgrade to DOCSIS3 should solve most issues but unfortunately thats a long way off being rolled out nationwide.

Bruno
14-04-2008, 16:25
I run a chemical engineering company and blablabla...
Do you have any technical informations ? Traceroute ?

JALZOO
14-04-2008, 16:16
How did you manage to get on a virginmedia test node?..

Its about time virginmedia started seriously doing some work with there networking!!..

Oh and assuming he's your BOSS maybe he has a BUSINESS line.. but andy i do think that is a lie if you say he is on virginmedia.. And gets 2.3mb/s Especially if he downloaded the file during 4-12!.

blinkey
14-04-2008, 15:40
I run a chemical engineering company and have never ever not addressed a client/prospective client with anything other than complete decency. Even when the world is crashing around you their are certain levels of customer service that MUST be maintained i feel.

I also tried my friends server last night who is with "Leaseweb" and i got 2.1MB/s down to my home via ftp. I am on a virgin test node which are never above 75% capacity so again this points directly to ovh's routing and is well below par really for the amount of money i have given them imo.

All i want is to be put on another server and if that fails then i will simply leave it and get a different deal next month, but all i seem to be getting is "tough luck pal".

Andy
14-04-2008, 09:54
If I want to defend OVH thats my problem not yours. I haven't had any issues so far and I'm doing my best to help OVH's clients. If you don't want help, then thats up to you, but I'm doing my best to go out of my way and help people. I don't expect anything in return for my help except a little respect. Treat me as you expect to be treated yourself, nothing more.

Yes, I do only get 4Mbps to my house, but my boss is on 20Mbps and he can manage full speed just fine. Bad peering? I don't think so. I think its just you're in an oversubscribed area of Virgin Media's network. Its very common, just take a look around the web and you'll discover that.

I have to agree Oles's attitude hasn't been the best, but you have to understand that being the owner of such a big datacenter, he doesn't have time for people who won't provide the information he needs to sort their problem out. Whilst this shouldn't be an excuse, if everyone could simply provide the information he asks for, it would be of great help to get your problem solved as quickly as possible.

Also remember, there are quicker ways to get help; e-mail and phone. The forum is only a supplement to OVH's support, not a dedicated way to solve problems.

milanyc
14-04-2008, 08:37
Andy, no desrespect man, but you're hustling REALLY HARD to get under ovh's skin. Are you trying to ass kiss them to get another free Kimsufi server or what?! Turn it down a notch will ya?

If some people have legitimate issues with their servers, you shouldn't be taking it personally and defending them in every single post! Let the provider deal with it. You sound like a fanboy to say the least.
I have my ovh server that I'm paying for and, yes I've been having some pretty bad issues, but overall, I like their service and will rent their servers in the future. But its utterly *****ic to simply profile and accuse people that might be using torrents for "congesting the OVH network". For God sakes where is all that bandwidth going to go that ovh guys have been emailing us about..? they certainly are not affected by a few torrenters on their network. And those ones that are torrenting the illegal stuff are certainly not gonna be very vocal in here. That certainly proved your incompetence on the issue.
Btw, are they paying you or you're just simply kissing some serious ass in here?

No disrespect to anyone with this post, just tackling the issue here.

Cheers.

blinkey
14-04-2008, 05:30
Yes jalzoo i am having that issue with ftp to home also, there is a serious issues with their Gbit but it seems they are just ignoring it and blaming us, yes they can make it work well but if you are not actually on their test file ect general use as you would think is not possible .

@ slayer yes i am thinking the same.

JALZOO
14-04-2008, 05:06
Dont listen to Andy he licks OVH's ass..

But i agree blinkey they are rude..

They take forever to reply.. and when they do there replies sound like they couldnt give a ****..

Im on a 20mbit line ( virginmedia ). Downloading from OVH i dont get any more than 950kbps and it drops!.. Pretty bad considering i should be getting 2.3Mb/s and i DO get 2.3mb/s download from other FAST and DECENT hosts.

I Would just like an hounest answer to why when i download from other french mirrors such as free.fr there max capacity is 10gbps.. I can download from them at well over 2.0Mb/s.
But if you guys claim you have 400Gbps max capacity.. Why such bad speeds to the UK?.. Whats even better is when i rang you guys up i was told your peered up with a london data center cant remember witch one.. This cant be true otherwise UK would get blistering speeds and it just dont.. And ANDY before you comment about how you allways get decent speeds.. That maybe because your internet max's out at 480kb/s and its about all ovh's network is good for.

Biggest waste of £79.99 i have ever experienced..

blinkey
14-04-2008, 01:05
No sorry i have used it on the same files (most other connections were for ovh servers also) the server is NOT working as advertised. the admin "oles" was rude and did not address me at all just started with a rant beginning with "3 things". The man is cheeky and arrogant, whilst i pay his damn wage.

Never will i use OVH again with this crappy "oh what do you want now" attitude. If they can't even address me by any name at all then that speaks volumes for the customer service tbh.

Stop defending them here and accept that the Gbit is awful here (+ you have not had it - no offence) i have read many other stories of rubbish routing with the Gbit here and will not fall for it twice. My 100/100 is working fine on the files so the arguement that it could be the tracker ect does not wash with me, It IS their network and they know it !

My friend has a network of bands and they are not famous but i release their music on to sites so please do not assume anything of my activity thankyou, the protocol is legal and my friends bands music is not copyright even if it was i would have permission.
Have you heard of bbc iplayer ? that uses the BT protocol and that site works at less speeds than my home connection, and again my 100/100 works fine with it. So why should i settle for less when i am paying more ?

I only get 800KB to my home line also on FTP which is on the uk's only Fibreoptic network so again sorry but it isn't routed well at all and will not do for the price i am paying them.
I see nowhere the prohibition of the BT protocol, i am giving these guys nearly £200 pm so i expect my service to work properly.
I don't mean to be rude Andy but i have a hell of a lot of experience and i KNOW that this Gbit it not working as a Gbit should and would be a liar if i recomended it to anyone

Andy
13-04-2008, 20:46
Well "oles" says to stop using BT so i have done + it was still no better so i will put it down to experiance that the Gbit series are not so good tbh, 100 great though
I don't see why the Gbps series should be any worse than the 100Mbps series. I think its down to what you were using it for more than it "not working" as you expected it to.

99% of torrents are illegal so I can't see any reason why you would want to use them unless you were seeding legal content, which is highly unlikely. I've heard of many people buying OVH's boxes just to torrent on, which isn't right and congests the network and stops legitimate traffic.

blinkey
13-04-2008, 20:23
Well "oles" says to stop using BT so i have done + it was still no better so i will put it down to experiance that the Gbit series are not so good tbh, 100 great though

slayer2005
13-04-2008, 19:28
will give it a go

cheers

Andy
13-04-2008, 19:15
Maybe you have a hard disk problem thats preventing the Hard Disk from using more than 13MB/s of throughput. Just throwing ideas out here since I can't explain it at all...

Any idea how we would check this?

There are several programs you can download that can test it.

http://www.hdtune.com/ is one of them. I've used it myself.

slayer2005
13-04-2008, 19:13
Maybe you have a hard disk problem thats preventing the Hard Disk from using more than 13MB/s of throughput. Just throwing ideas out here since I can't explain it at all...

Any idea how we would check this?

i still have the 4fxps running at around 8-12mb and deluge running at 20mb down and 2mb up.
So all is not to bad speed wise,just seems very up and down.
I need to learn linux!

Andy
13-04-2008, 19:07
Mmm 4 fxps open and not going past 13mb! :-/
Really strange.i have nothing running on the other gbit so that chewing bw isnt the problem.
It just makes me think is it really worth having a gbit over a 100mbit.
Well the question I asked myself is do I actually USE 100Mbps? My server averages about 2.5Mbps outbound and 800Kbps inbound with occasional spikes to 20Mbps. So that answers the question, no, I don't need 1Gbps. Just makes you sound cooler to say you have it I find.

slayer2005
13-04-2008, 19:04
Mmm 4 fxps open and not going past 13mb! :-/
Really strange.i have nothing running on the other gbit so that chewing bw isnt the problem.
It just makes me think is it really worth having a gbit over a 100mbit.

Andy
13-04-2008, 18:57
andy could you check your email please
Nothing through yet. Mail is checked every 60 seconds so I should get it as soon as it hits my server.

blinkey
13-04-2008, 18:56
andy could you check your email please

slayer2005
13-04-2008, 18:54
I see what you are saying,you mean say open up 4 fxps...mmm ye si will go try that.
Damm im a ****,i should of thought of that. :-)

Will get back to you...Blinky sorry for taking this a lil off topic.

Andy
13-04-2008, 18:49
See i find this very strange.i can get 55mb using utorent on a fast private site with a lot of ovh boxes.
But ftping from a gbit to a gbit with everything else turned of i can not go past around 13mb.
Wouldnt u think u get better speeds,being 2 gbits being on the same network.
Very confusing!
If you multi-threaded the transfer it would probably go faster. A single thread can only go so fast, and maybe 13MB/s is the limit. Torrent is very multi-threaded so its speeds can be higher, but too many and the connection will grind to a halt.

blinkey
13-04-2008, 18:48
can you get 55MB whilst downloading at any speed ?

slayer2005
13-04-2008, 18:47
See i find this very strange.i can get 55mb using utorent on a fast private site with a lot of ovh boxes.
But ftping from a gbit to a gbit with everything else turned of i can not go past around 13mb.
Wouldnt u think u get better speeds,being 2 gbits being on the same network.
Very confusing!

blinkey
13-04-2008, 18:45
My firewall is of and anti virus i know well and that is not an issue. I have had a couple of guys on with years of experiance with servers who said that it is just messed up with BT, tried deluge azureus utorrent nothing worked and the 99.99% hanging is wierd to and i get no upload untill that ticks over to 100%

Andy
13-04-2008, 18:40
Andy can u provide a gibit test file please?
As said above, my server is only 100Mbps otherwise I would happily supply one. I can't afford a Gbps server either unfortunately, as much as I'd like one.

Andy
13-04-2008, 18:39
But i have tried a few different sites and all good private ones and it suffers maybe ram is suffering ? but my settings are fine, this is on all BT traffic and would still like it rectified as i diid not getthe server fot ftp.
Well my server has 2GB of RAM, and if it has 1Gbps then it either has 1GB or more. When I run torrents on mine they don't use much, less than 100MB in most cases, so I doubt RAM is the problem.

I can only guess the problem is either:-
1. The firewall is blocking traffic
2. The torrent client not configured properly
3. Anti-virus software is slowing down the traffic
4. Bad peering to the seeds/peers (unlikely)

But you can be assured the problem is most likely not the server itself. This isn't the first Gbps server issue on the forum. I have a friend who did have a Gbps server until he could no longer afford it and his worked absolutely no problem with torrents, http and ftp alike.

blinkey
13-04-2008, 18:39
he doesn't have Gbit he can only up at 10MB/s

slayer2005
13-04-2008, 18:36
Andy can u provide a gibit test file please?
Coz im ftping from a gbit to a gbit both ovh boxes.
Now considering there both ovh i thought i would get around 30mbit at least but its not going past 13mb.

blinkey
13-04-2008, 18:35
But i have tried a few different sites and all good private ones and it suffers maybe ram is suffering ? but my settings are fine, this is on all BT traffic and would still like it rectified as i diid not get the server for ftp.

e.g. i am on a torrent now with 12 ovh servers on it and they are doing well and mine is just suffering like hell, i can see other servers zapping up while banging data out on the same torrents as me and this is not right surely ?

Andy
13-04-2008, 18:32
well ftp seems to be fine
There we go then There is no issue with the server, its just a dodgy torrent. And again I'll quote that torrents are not a good example for measuring speed.

blinkey
13-04-2008, 18:30
well ftp seems to be fine

Andy
13-04-2008, 18:23
i will send you an email
I don't appear to get many e-mails from this forum so I think there is some issue with it, thus meaning I might not get the one you're about to send me.

EDIT: I did get it, just replied.

blinkey
13-04-2008, 18:20
i will send you an email

Andy
13-04-2008, 18:14
Quote Originally Posted by phillip
Not to contradict you Andy, I've got 11MB/s down, 8MB/s up at the same time on my Kimsufi.
This must be an error on my switch then since I can only seem to manage a total of 100Mbps. I will e-mail OVH to get this checked if you can confirm this is wrong (as you have with your speeds).

phillip
13-04-2008, 18:12
OVH does not operate in full duplex, only simplex (At least this is the case on their 100Mbps servers).....
Not to contradict you Andy, I've gotten 11MB/s down, 8MB/s up at the same time on my Kimsufi.

Andy
13-04-2008, 18:11
ok i will try the test file again

ftp = 2MB
http = 4MB
What are you using to download from FTP? What client? Do you have torrents running at the moment? Or anything else utilising the connection?

Andy
13-04-2008, 18:10
As i said i have tested all settings numerous times all my connections have been checked and altered to try for best settings, my 100/100 works fine and i have enough knowlege of network connections to see it is not my error the server is suffering

I can only disagree since you did get 4MB/s (40Mbps) from the test file. Try the FTP version and see what you get on that. I will set up an ftp upload test if you want and PM you the details. If you can upload and download at full speed via FTP, then your connection is fine and your settings are to fault. There is no way out of that one being wrong unfortunately.

blinkey
13-04-2008, 18:08
As i said i have tested all settings numerous times all my connections have been checked and altered to try for best settings, my 100/100 works fine and i have enough knowlege of network connections to see it is not my error the server is suffering

ftp = 2MB
http = 4MB

Andy
13-04-2008, 18:07
I've just made a link to the same test file via FTP, give that a try.

Andy
13-04-2008, 18:02
My source is a private site with many other servers being used, and the script their is second to none. It is a very good site to measure at and the file is 30GB +, it isn't tpb lol.

I have tried my 100/100 on the same files to double check and that is getting 9MB/s down and 10.5MB/s up. So it is definately the server and i have checked all settings numerous times.

I will try some other protocols but i doubt i will see a difference, but considering it should work fine with BT i don't see how this will help tbh.

Blinkey//
Like I said, there are too many factors determining a torrents speeds, including the settings in the torrent client. It took me 3 days to perfect my torrent client settings for maximum speed. Get the settings too high or too slow and you end up with slow speeds.

Testing with the other protocols will verify if the problem exists or not. If the downloads are fine then the problem is with the torrent client and not the server.

Edit: only getting 4MB/s on that test file
Thats actually normal. There is a problem with the server software I'm using regarding packet size optimisation. Linux seems to get the file at full speed, Windows however doesn't seem to be able to.

blinkey
13-04-2008, 17:58
My source is a private site with many other servers being used, and the script their is second to none. It is a very good site to measure at and the file is 30GB +, it isn't tpb lol.

I have tried my 100/100 on the same files to double check and that is getting 9MB/s down and 10.5MB/s up. So it is definately the server and i have checked all settings numerous times.

I will try some other protocols but i doubt i will see a difference, but considering it should work fine with BT i don't see how this will help tbh.

Blinkey//

Edit: only getting 4MB/s on that test file

Andy
13-04-2008, 17:50
I have updated everything, still nothing and when i mean bad speeds i am getting 12KB down the best i get is 3-400KB/s down and the same up even on sources with many peers.

This is not me this is ovh's system i have had friends who are very proficient with servers say the same.
So now i would like a fresh server as this one has cost me 4 days of hassle with non of the usage i PAID A LOT for.
I didn't mind at first but after wasting whole weekend of tweaking and testing enough is enough.

I have contacted your support team but i have not had an answer for 3-4 hours.

Regards, Blinkey
Never use torrents as a measurement of speed. There are too many variables that can affect the speed on torrents. You are best off doing a proper test. EG download from a reputable source like Microsoft. Upload is a little harder and can usually only be measured in a production situation.

blinkey
13-04-2008, 17:29
I have updated everything, still nothing and when i mean bad speeds i am getting 12KB down the best i get is 3-400KB/s down and the same up even on sources with many peers.

This is not me this is ovh's system i have had friends who are very proficient with servers say the same.
So now i would like a fresh server as this one has cost me 4 days of hassle with non of the usage i PAID A LOT for.
I didn't mind at first but after wasting whole weekend of tweaking and testing enough is enough.

I have contacted your support team but i have not had an answer for 3-4 hours.

Regards, Blinkey

slayer2005
13-04-2008, 17:29
OVH does not operate in full duplex, only simplex (At least this is the case on their 100Mbps servers). This means you have 1Gbps total, not both up and down. EG, you can have 500Mbps up and 500Mbps down, or 700Mbps up and 300Mbps down.

If you get the driver from the manufacturers website you will most likely have to go into vKVM mode to install it since you have to uninstall the old driver to install the new one. Of course when you uninstall it, you lose connectivity with the server. This is why doing it via Windows update is the best way since Windows does the uninstall and install of the new one automatically.
LOL i just installed new driver manualy and lost my connectivity...then read your post and thought ****!But it let me log back in with new river installed.

RTL8169/8110...Hopfuly the latest..the old one was RTL8168/8111

Will see how it runs. :-)

Andy
13-04-2008, 17:05
OVH does not operate in full duplex, only simplex (At least this is the case on their 100Mbps servers). This means you have 1Gbps total, not both up and down. EG, you can have 500Mbps up and 500Mbps down, or 700Mbps up and 300Mbps down.

If you get the driver from the manufacturers website you will most likely have to go into vKVM mode to install it since you have to uninstall the old driver to install the new one. Of course when you uninstall it, you lose connectivity with the server. This is why doing it via Windows update is the best way since Windows does the uninstall and install of the new one automatically.

phillip
13-04-2008, 14:13
Try updating using the NIC manufacturer's web-site.

slayer2005
13-04-2008, 14:02
i just done a windows update.and tried to update network nic driver,but says the one i have is fine.
it is a pain with a gbit when u can get 50mbit but then itl crash.
But im gona stick with deluge until some1 else has more luck.

blinkey
13-04-2008, 13:51
Well deluge helped a little but the duplex still seems messed up.
I mailed the admin guy above me with details so he may have some answers as to why the server is faulty

I will try updating my nic drivers

No difference i think i am going to have a diferent box this is no good at all tbh speeds are horrible

slayer2005
13-04-2008, 12:35
Everyone with an issue should make sure their NIC drivers are up to date. If using Windows you can do this via Windows Update. My server suffered instability at high speeds before I updated the drivers, and its been rock solid since I updated.

Oles is indeed an admin so it is safe to give him any details he asks for.
What driver do you have now?
I scanned my nic and said it couldnt find a better match,or do i have to down the service pack.

Andy
13-04-2008, 12:05
Everyone with an issue should make sure their NIC drivers are up to date. If using Windows you can do this via Windows Update. My server suffered instability at high speeds before I updated the drivers, and its been rock solid since I updated.

Oles is indeed an admin so it is safe to give him any details he asks for.

R0b
13-04-2008, 06:07
He sure is (check his username )

As mentioned many times in the past, without a server IP or similar they are unable to look into the problems

blinkey
13-04-2008, 04:37
Why would you want that ? are you admin ?

oles@ovh.net
13-04-2008, 02:16
blinkey a écrit:
>
> Ok i have a 100/100 box already and that is fine using the BT
> protocol... very happy .
> My Gbit box on the other hand hangs at 99.9% with utorrent and my up
> speed is non existent until the file is complete.
> As far as i am aware i (should) have full duplex but their seems to be
> issue with either that the ram, disk/read/write, power ? it must be one
> but i see no issues myself.
> Is this a known problem or ?

what is your dedicated server ? ip ?

blinkey
13-04-2008, 02:01
I will try this client mate thx for the tip i will edit/reply back what i find

Blinkey//

i should probably add that my down speeds seem to linger at something never better than what you would expect of 100/100 whilst upload is still negligible, in fact i would have to say worse maybe 2MB/s avg and my 100 is 7-8 whilst upping at the same or more.

Parsifal
13-04-2008, 01:48
I think it´s RAM and disk issue... while I´m downloading at fast speeds I have to forget upload too... not even 10 kBps. Once the download finishes the things become to normality.
And if I have to force a re-check on a big file... well, the best is to turn off the lights, watch a movie, go out for dinner, go to bed and pray for next day things are still there.

slayer2005
13-04-2008, 01:04
Ok i have a 100/100 box already and that is fine using the BT protocol... very happy .
My Gbit box on the other hand hangs at 99.9% with utorrent and my up speed is non existent until the file is complete.
As far as i am aware i (should) have full duplex but their seems to be issue with either that the ram, disk/read/write, power ? it must be one but i see no issues myself.

Is this a known problem or ?

Thanks, Blinkey
Hi

I have the same problem.Basicaly it writes to the disk to fast thus its no were near completed.yhea u can have 50mb cumming down but then if u restart utorrent ul see it start again at something stupid like 10%.
And it will do this around 5+ times.
I find it also crashes a lot.
The way round this problem witch i have found is to use a client called deluge.
Ive tested a lot of clients on my gbit and this seems the most stable.
It wont reach 50mb but i can get 15mb of 1 file coming down and it wont crash and it will acctualy complete the torrent fully unlke utorrent.

Im not sure if there is a fix for utorrent,if there is i would like to no.

blinkey
13-04-2008, 00:42
Ok i have a 100/100 box already and that is fine using the BT protocol... very happy .
My Gbit box on the other hand hangs at 99.9% with utorrent and my up speed is non existent until the file is complete.
As far as i am aware i (should) have full duplex but their seems to be issue with either that the ram, disk/read/write, power ? it must be one but i see no issues myself.

Is this a known problem or ?

Thanks, Blinkey

Plan: http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/eglarge.xml