OVH Community, your new community space.

Placed New Order Now You Want My Passport / Driving Licence Not Happy

Dave
25-03-2009, 10:26
I've found its common place with large server hosts to require a copy of an official document on the first order, I've had it before with other hosts (won't name here)

Regardless of that fact you paid by Visa using "Verified by Visa" it really doesn't mean much, although these security features lower the amount of fraudulent charges on stolen/cloned cards it doesn't stop it completely.

OVH have stated they comply with all Data Protection laws, the only reason I can see anyone having a problem with this is if they having something to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by FARRELL
Also to add I was never advised during the order process that official identification documents would need to be supplied before the order could be processed, this I feel is a very unprofessional practice and the order process should be revised accordingly..

Also do they have permission from the data protection agencies to hold this kind of information, btw different laws apply if they hold information about UK citizens outside of the UK. Im guessing NOT! but I will check.
If you're that unhappy and you are going to spend your time attempting to prove OVH wrong you probably won't be happy here, I'd accept the refund and find another host who will rent to any tom **** or harry.

freshwire
23-03-2009, 18:50
It's just a notification:

Dear Sir,

Hello,
We just respond to your message.

You can read our response to this address:

https://www.ovh.co.uk/managerv3/serv...obviousreasons

This page will allow us to respond if needed, or to close this discution.

FARRELL
23-03-2009, 17:06
Heres one of the FRENCH emails I received

SAS OVH
140, quai du Sartel
59100 ROUBAIX
Tel : 0 899 701 761
Fax : 03 20 20 09 58
Email : support@ovh.com

Roubaix,
Madame, Monsieur,

Bonjour,
Nous venons de répondre Ã* votre message.

Vous pouvez prendre connaissance de notre reponse sur cette addresse :

https://www.ovh.co.uk/managerv3/serv...obviousreasons

Cette page vous permetra de nous repondre si besoin, ou de cloturer cette discution.

---
Nous vous remercions de votre confiance,

OVH LTD
Unit K403
100 Clements road
London SE16 4DG
Tel: 0207 252 2310
Fax: 0207 252 3332
E-mail: customersupport@ovh.co.uk

OVH - Customer support
Mon-Fri from 9am to 6pm

Find out more about OVH and our products at http://forum.ovh.co.uk

FARRELL
23-03-2009, 17:05
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
If you send us an email we cancel the order and issue a refund, please also send us the emails you receive in French as you have selected English for the emails.
what email address would you like me to forward the french language emails to ?

I have already request cancellation and a refund via email

the reply I got was

Dear customer,

if the documents are not received, the order will be cancelled and refunded automatically into your account.

Though if you're worried about sending the documents on the internet, let me tell you that we require that quite often and there is no problem.

But if you prefer not to do it, it's up to you.

Kind regards

Marc
OVH Customer Support Adviser

> Hi please cancel the order and refund my payment I am not sending copies of my passport or driving licence to anyone over the internet.
>
> Please refund me ASAP
>
> James

Neil
23-03-2009, 16:29
Quote Originally Posted by FARRELL
Well

I used the SMS validation which the mobile number I entered is a contact mobile registered at the address I live at and that verified fine..

I am not happy sending official identity to a company I myself have never heard of but was recommended to me by a friend so I would like a full refund please

Also why do you keep emailing me in FRENCH? this is both annoying and unprofessional, I have emailed the relevant authorities to see if you have the appropriate athority to request such identification
If you send us an email we cancel the order and issue a refund, please also send us the emails you receive in French as you have selected English for the emails.

FARRELL
23-03-2009, 14:51
Well

I used the SMS validation which the mobile number I entered is a contact mobile registered at the address I live at and that verified fine..

I am not happy sending official identity to a company I myself have never heard of but was recommended to me by a friend so I would like a full refund please

Also why do you keep emailing me in FRENCH? this is both annoying and unprofessional, I have emailed the relevant authorities to see if you have the appropriate athority to request such identification

Neil
23-03-2009, 14:17
Hello

We do not ask for documents unless we want further verification about a customer or regarding a order. this for security as OVH.co.uk is for UK customers only. If you order a server and are based in the UK and the SMS validation is fine then you will not need to do this, however sometimes an order flags and we ask for more information.

However we comply with all Data Protection laws, however a Driving Licence/Passport are the only 'Official' ID's provided by the government at the moment until (If and When) identity cards are phased in.

The information that is supplied to is only used to confirm the that the identity that ordered the server is the same as the contact details they supplied.

Hope that helps.

FARRELL
23-03-2009, 13:12
Well I have verified I am who I say I am when I paid using a Visa debit card and my payment was via VERIFIED BY VISA so that should be plenty of identification.....

I dont think many people would like to email passports & driving licence copies to companies, we have to TRUST the company with our MONEY dont we...

Well I have taken my business elsewhere and await a refund...

Also to add I was never advised during the order process that official identification documents would need to be supplied before the order could be processed, this I feel is a very unprofessional practice and the order process should be revised accordingly..

Also do they have permission from the data protection agencies to hold this kind of information, btw different laws apply if they hold information about UK citizens outside of the UK. Im guessing NOT! but I will check.

freshwire
23-03-2009, 13:04
This is simply to verify who you say you are should you be doing something illegal with the servers

FARRELL
23-03-2009, 12:19
Well I was advised by a friend that OVH was the best company to rent a box from so I went ahead and placed an order and paid for 3 months in advace via my debit card and a day latter I received the following email....

> From: customersupport@ovh.co.uk
> To: xxxx@gmail.com
> Subject: [ORDER 54xxxx3]
>
> Dear Customer,
>
> We have received your payment related to the order nr xxxx903 received by cb and we would like to thank you for trusting us.
>
> For your security, we would like to check the information that you have provided and specially the identity of the billing contact.
>
> Therefore, we would be grateful if you could send us the following documents as soon as possible in order to validate your order:
>
> If it's an order placed on behalf of an individual:
> - copy of your ID (passport, driving license)
> - proof of address (utility bill)
>
> Thanks in advance for providing the documents to us:
>
> If you are a uk based customer:
>
> Either by mail to billing@ovh.co.uk and specify on the subject:
> "proof of payment ORDER xxxx903 for anne-sophie.monnier"
>
> OR by fax on 0207 252 3332 and specify on your documents:
> "proof of payment ORDER xxxx903 for the attention of anne-sophie.monnier"
>
> Otherwise:
>
> Either by mail to preuve.paiement@ovh.net and specify on the subject:
> "proof of payment ORDER xxxx903 for anne-sophie.monnier"
>
> OR by fax on +33 (0) 3 20 20 09 58 and specify on your documents:
> "proof of payment ORDER xxxx903 for the attention of anne-sophie.monnier"
>
> If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
>
>
> OVH LTD
> Unit K403
> 100 Clements road
> London SE16 4DG
> Tel: 0207 252 2310
> Fax: 0207 252 3332
> E-mail: customersupport@ovh.co.uk
>
> OVH - Customer support
> Mon-Fri from 9am to 6pm
>
> Find out more about OVH and our products at http://forum.ovh.co.uk

I have told them to forget it and issue a refund for the 3 months I have paid, I find it a little worring that a host would ask for official documentation to be sent to them via email I dont know about everyone else but I am very careful about who gets to see personal documents let alone who gets to keep copies.....