We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

RPS defect

Neil
06-04-2009, 17:06
Quote Originally Posted by Iray
Thanks Neil! Once my budget has grown slightly, I'll be purchasing a dedicated server.. so ill have to live with it for now
Well you can use your own Kernel, just try not reboot it that often

Iray
06-04-2009, 16:39
Thanks Neil! Once my budget has grown slightly, I'll be purchasing a dedicated server.. so ill have to live with it for now

Neil
06-04-2009, 15:54
Quote Originally Posted by ruperthair
I've also been trying to find out what this 'hd' option means:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showpost.php?...0&postcount=24
The HD is the Hard Disk, ie the Operating System Kernel, all our Dedicated Servers use the HD option Hard Disk Kernel.

Because of the RPS and Filers (SAN's) being connected at100Mbps and storage having lots of read/write operations means that is not efficient to use the Kernel stored on the Drives.

So instead we deploy all rps with the neboot kernel used by default, but remember you are welcome to change it to the HD and boot up if you want to use your own kernel or compile your own with modules enabled etc...

ruperthair
06-04-2009, 14:48
I've also been trying to find out what this 'hd' option means:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showpost.php?...0&postcount=24

Iray
06-04-2009, 11:28
So which is faster?

I would assume that netboot is slower then the HD? then again i could be wrong because both of them are located on network storage? Please help!

Iray
04-04-2009, 22:23
I have set hd a few times in the manager. With the boot settings set to HD i still get the defect email 4 minutes into boot up and sadly this time it took 19 mintues before i recieved a ping response from my rps..

Im running CentOS (Which i installed 2 weeks back)
Apache 2, Mysql 5, Postfix 2.3.3, PHP 5.2, Webmin, BIND 9

Im stuck and puzzled.. dont know if rebuilding again is going to help much.

edit:
Also i have fully updated using YUM - after the update webmin registered my os as centos 5.2
Kernel: Linux 2.6.24.5-grsec-xxxx-grs-ipv4-32 on i686

Neil
04-04-2009, 20:54
Quote Originally Posted by Iray
This seems to be an old thread but.. i too am experiencing the same problems unfortunately. After rebooting from webmin or ssh the server doesnt come back up for another 10-15 minutes. Its very fustrating..

The RPS is built anew and has the very minimal running (LAMP).

Also what do the OVH techs do exacly when there is a 'defect'?
I would hope they dont mess around with my files or any rps os settings because that seriously gets up my nose .. no.. seriously.. it does.

Edit: Iv sent customer support an email.. waiting for response..
What Kernel are you using? If you are using the Hard Drive (HD) Kernel then that does sound 'normal'.

Regarding interventions, they are hardware related normally. Our servers are unmanaged so we would have no reason to access anything software related.

freshwire
04-04-2009, 17:25
Sounds messed up to me

Andy
04-04-2009, 16:55
It depends on the distribution, services running, etc. I knew several Linux web hosting servers that took 15 minutes to bring all services back up, it was stupid. I don't see why it took so long.

freshwire
04-04-2009, 16:52
For me my linux server is booting in under 60 seconds (including a 2nd copy of linux as a virtual machine).

I think 10-15 minutes is insane estimate

Andy
04-04-2009, 15:00
I'm sure with NFS you have to reinstall if you make your disk space larger. Not sure if its any more reliable either?

unclebob
04-04-2009, 14:47
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Isn't NFS less expandable?
Not sure - few people expand their disk space anyway

Andy
04-04-2009, 14:41
Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
Remember that you can switch to NFS if you reinstall your RPS.
Isn't NFS less expandable?

unclebob
04-04-2009, 14:00
Remember that you can switch to NFS if you reinstall your RPS.

Andy
04-04-2009, 13:01
Yes it would be nice if the iSCSI was more reliable, but like I said, its new technology, so its still a work in progress.

Iray
04-04-2009, 12:56
Thanks for the reply mate, appreciate it. Yes, it has taken longer than 15 minutes but very rarely... for the price im paying im not too fussed with the odd fault.. am happy with the service.. If only they could get this issue fixed..

Andy
04-04-2009, 11:09
10-15 mins can be normal for Linux.

When there is a defect the technicians basically get it back up and running, responding to ping and SSH. Thats about all they do. They don't even look at your files. If its something more serious they attempt to fix the problem with a screen plugged in so they can see whats on the screen and what the error is. In most cases with RPS's its an iSCSI issue. 9/10 it just doesn't detect the iSCSI disk. Its a new technology so its to be expected, but I still don't think RPS's are reliable enough to sell as a production server really. But thats my opinion.

Iray
04-04-2009, 10:23
This seems to be an old thread but.. i too am experiencing the same problems unfortunately. After rebooting from webmin or ssh the server doesnt come back up for another 10-15 minutes. Its very fustrating..

The RPS is built anew and has the very minimal running (LAMP).

Also what do the OVH techs do exacly when there is a 'defect'?
I would hope they dont mess around with my files or any rps os settings because that seriously gets up my nose .. no.. seriously.. it does.

Edit: Iv sent customer support an email.. waiting for response..

hashbangbinbash
15-04-2008, 12:04
you should give them your servername.

johnstevens
14-04-2008, 20:36
urgh,Octave,why would you need to block a working server?the support has already helped me a few hours ago,and now its down again

oles@ovh.net
14-04-2008, 20:20
johnstevens a écrit:
>
> Hello.My RPS started timing out almost two hours ago,and shortly after i

I have probably blocked it. Please reboot it. It should work now.

KinGFaB
14-04-2008, 11:03
Quote Originally Posted by drag
I have also these problems!
+1

drag
13-04-2008, 20:43
I have also these problems!

johnstevens
13-04-2008, 19:27
Well,i just hope its not that serious,cuz its still down...

Andy
13-04-2008, 17:16
Quote Originally Posted by johnstevens
The thing is that its been like that for an hour and a half thats why im a bit nervous
The problem could be more serious than normal so its taking more time to fix.

johnstevens
13-04-2008, 17:13
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
This means a technician is attempting to find the problem and fix it. Give it time.
The thing is that its been like that for an hour and a half thats why im a bit nervous

Andy
13-04-2008, 16:51
Quote Originally Posted by johnstevens
Can anyone help me?It doesnt even let me to reboot it now...says "Your server is under disturb"
This means a technician is attempting to find the problem and fix it. Give it time.

johnstevens
13-04-2008, 16:45
Can anyone help me?It doesnt even let me to reboot it now...says "Your server is under disturb"

johnstevens
13-04-2008, 15:15
Hello.My RPS started timing out almost two hours ago,and shortly after i tried rebooting it via the manager an e-mail saying there is a defect on my server...Usually it fixed itself in 30 mins or something,but this time its still down.Is there a way to fix my problem asap or the support is not working today?Thanks.