OVH Community, your new community space.

Where can I find OVH's DNS's?

Andrew_V
31-03-2009, 01:54
The problem is solved.
unclebob, monkey56657, thank you for your help.

Andrew_V
30-03-2009, 03:33
I have added my domain to ovh and I edit DNS records using the following path: Web hosting - Domains & DNS - DNS Zone. Hope I am at the right place.

However, the problem is that ovh's DNS records are quite different from my those of other host.

Namely, ovh's DNS are:
13 CNAME records
2 MX records
1 A record (my non-ovh server IP)
1 SPF record.
NS - are NOT editable.

my other host's DNS are:
7 MX records (for gmail.com/a/ - email)
4 A records (*,www,ftp,@) - all are my
1 CNAME record (my google ID)
----------------------------------------------------------
I have replaced the only A record with IP of my non-ovh server.

But I am not sure, what to do with the rest:
1. Do I need to add extra 3 A- records (like those at my non-ovh host) and how?
2. Same question with regard to adding MX records (I need 7 for my google mail, not 2 as ovh offers)
3. When NS records will become editable?

Thanks for your help.

unclebob
29-03-2009, 19:09
Zone type: "Redirections (by default)"
Type of email : "Redirections (without protection)"

Andrew_V
29-03-2009, 17:38
monkey56657, unclebob, thanks it's clearer now

However, I can't figure out how to add my domains and their DNS records.
In my admin panle, I choose my services - add new domain, then in the new window enter the domain name and press Accept.

Now there are 4 options -
Order web hosting in OVH
Activate email and web redirections (free service)
Add MX Plan
Add to DNS ( advanced configuration)
If I choose "Add to DNS" it gives two sub-options
Select zone type:
Select the type of email:
neither of which seems right.
I guess I am not going the right way.

Can you please advise me how to add my domains and their DNS?
Thank you

unclebob
29-03-2009, 13:09
Essentially, you need to add your domains and their DNS records (A, MX, CNAME, etc) to the OVH manager BEFORE you change your name servers at your registrar.

This way, both OVH's name servers and your old name servers have the SAME DNS records, so you can change the name servers (to OVH's) at your registrar and your users should not notice any change.

For a user, either:
1. Their DNS cache at their ISP has not updated and they are going to the NON-OVH name servers, which direct them to your old server.

2. Their DNS cache at their ISP HAS updated and they are going to the OVH name servers, which also direct them to your old server.

After 72 hours everyone's DNS cache should be updated, so changes you make to your DNS records in OVH's Manager should be instant. When your new server is deployed, you can change your DNS records to reflect this with no downtime.

Hopefully that is a bit clearer.

freshwire
29-03-2009, 05:32
When you change the dns nameservers you are simply changing which machine(s) are in charge of converting the domain to an ip address.

It is entirely possible for both the old and new nameservers to point your domain to the ip address of your old host.

Simply find the ip address of your old host and set the A record for your domain to that IP using the ovh control panel. Then when moving the nameservers to OVH it will still use your old web host until the point you get your server.

Once you have the server log back into OVH and change the A record to point to your new server.

Andrew_V
29-03-2009, 03:13
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
The dns 'switch' is not 24 - 72 hours.

The actual 'switch' takes place virtually instantly. The only issue comes with how long each ISP caches the data.
You are right, but from the user's point of view who visits my site using browser it's still the longer time (ISP chaching) that matters, isn't that right? So I would have to wait until then anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
1. Duplicated all DNS records on OVH's manager, with records that pointed to my non-OVH servers.
Can do this, no problem.

2. Changed my name servers to OVH's and waited 72 hrs. Now everyone should be going to OVH's name servers and any changes to DNS records *should* be instant. Old servers are still in use.
I am confused here

I have a domainbought via a registrar (say, godaddy), domain has DNS's of my non-ovh host. Now, if I change (at the registrar admin panel) my non-ovh host's DNS to ovh's ones, they (DNS) will pointing at ovh servers which do not hold my sites. Isn't that going to be a problem?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think if a domian has DNS of a server (ovh's, in our examples), and the domain is called via a browser, then the browser searches for site that sits on that server, isnt' that right?

unclebob
28-03-2009, 21:43
What I did when moving to OVH with no downtime:

1. Duplicated all DNS records on OVH's manager, with records that pointed to my non-OVH servers.
2. Changed my name servers to OVH's and waited 72 hrs. Now everyone should be going to OVH's name servers and any changes to DNS records *should* be instant. Old servers are still in use.
3. Waited for my new OVH servers to be provisioned, and when they were I copied my data over.
4. Changed my DNS records on OVH's name servers to point to my new OVH servers. Change was instant.
5. Cancelled old servers.

freshwire
28-03-2009, 20:58
The dns 'switch' is not 24 - 72 hours.

The actual 'switch' takes place virtually instantly. The only issue comes with how long each ISP caches the data.

In the case of my ISP I usually see the effect after 3-4 hours. If I use my own dns lookup server (without caching) I can see the changes just seconds after you submit them.

Be careful you don't miss that

Andrew_V
28-03-2009, 20:38
(I'm assuming that you are not transferring your domains from your current registrar to OVH, but are just changing your name servers to OVH's name servers.)
Yes, I just want to change domain's DNS's at registar sites (NOT to transfer domains to ovh)

If you add all of your domains and appropriate DNS records in the OVH Manager BEFORE you change the nameservers of your domains, you should be fine and there should be no interruption to your sites.
well, in that case if my servers are not setup and sites are not moved by the time hte DNS's are updated, there is a risk that my domains will end up hanging nowhere, isn't that right? (cos DNS switches within anything from 24-72 hours)

I'd better wait at least until the server is setup. Moving should not take to long, prehaps a day is enough.

unclebob
28-03-2009, 19:29
Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_V
Andy, thanks.
My ovh server is not setup yet, I just ordered it yesterday. If I bring the domains into ovh right now, will this not upset my sites running on another (NOT ovh's) server?

Cheers
(I'm assuming that you are not transferring your domains from your current registrar to OVH, but are just changing your name servers to OVH's name servers.)

If you add all of your domains and appropriate DNS records in the OVH Manager BEFORE you change the nameservers of your domains, you should be fine and there should be no interruption to your sites. When you get your new server deployed and if you want to use it to host your sites, you can just update your A records in the manager and again there should be little or no interruption. This way, you avoid the issue of long DNS propagation times.

freshwire
28-03-2009, 16:17
If your wanting to host on your server then wait till its all setup. If you have everything ready it will be 0 downtime.

Andrew_V
28-03-2009, 14:29
Andy, thanks.
My ovh server is not setup yet, I just ordered it yesterday. If I bring the domains into ovh right now, will this not upset my sites running on another (NOT ovh's) server?

Cheers

Andy
28-03-2009, 11:01
when you bring a domain into ovh it will give you the assigned dns servers for the domain on the transfer page in th manager. usually something like ns11.ovh.net and dns11.ovh.net but it may be different for other people.

Andrew_V
28-03-2009, 02:54
Hello,

I want to park my existing domains with ovh and need to know your DNS's.
Please let me know what are they or where I can find them?

Thanks