OVH Community, your new community space.

We would like to hear from you!

xuanle
02-03-2017, 10:41
blacksun77. I'm a new too. Nice to meet you and everyone

blacksun77
13-02-2017, 09:33
hello every body!
I'm new in this ovh forums, hopeful every member could welcome and support me with my issue to build our community better. very happy to join this great forums.
Thanks for reading !

kateparkers
24-01-2017, 10:48
Control Panel could do with a facelift as well, it all works fine

marks
15-12-2016, 10:00
Quote Originally Posted by korneenko.y
I want to cancel order 60333715
Reasons are in previous post which is under moderation.
contact the support in IE for this (support@ovh.ie)

korneenko.y
14-12-2016, 21:17
I want to cancel order 60333715
Reasons are in previous post which is under moderation.

yentrangkorea
26-08-2016, 06:26
Control Panel could do with a facelift as well, it all works fine but looks dated.

yennhikorea
12-05-2016, 11:37
hi everybody,
I am a new member, OVH is great

Bakla
14-03-2016, 00:49
Quote Originally Posted by wackomoo
When ordering domains on .co.uk I still have to accept and agree to the ToS in French. The ToS and PDF's are just screaming "Fix me beautiful!"
I have to admit that I run into French translations quite often. I really don't like having to rely on google translate when it comes to instructions for administering my vital services. You guys have definitely improved it since I first joined OVH but please don't rest yet.

An example I noticed today: "Commander une plateforme Exchange" and "Commander un groupe de licences Office". I know it's not vital instructions but this is on the sidebar of the main web control panel.

I'm not what you'd call an advanced user. When I see a new feature or button I rush to find out what it does. Trouble is that it's (understandably) usually the new things that haven't been translated.

marks
02-03-2016, 18:06
Quote Originally Posted by finno
Hello all

Anyone who can tell me how to send email to OVH ?
I got an email from OVH , wanting me to send info on me as individual person , but replying to that email adress fails
Cheers
depending on the country:

UK: customersupport@ovh.co.uk
IE/International: support@ovh.ie

if you are in another country, let us know.

finno
02-03-2016, 17:47
Hello all

Anyone who can tell me how to send email to OVH ?
I got an email from OVH , wanting me to send info on me as individual person , but replying to that email adress fails
Cheers

Incredible
17-02-2016, 20:20
Hi hey hello guys. OVH is great

yahya_gandu
09-11-2015, 16:34
I'm also thinking to get another OVH vps cause it was good and It worked like charm

DevilJinAli
08-11-2015, 19:42
Never heard of late response before from OVH, as most of my friends are using VPS provided by OVH , and i will also Purchase one just waiting for one of my project to be finished.

navid.ht
20-06-2015, 17:39
their support is awful. they response very late. even when they response it is not complete and useful. I asked them check why the sever response time is very high and attached an image from www.webpagetest.org that shows the server response time is near 3 second. after 3 days they respond that:
I just checked the website and it appears to be responding fine, is this issue resolved now?
I am sure he did not even check or check with the browser so something because I immediately check with webpagetest.org and google insight speed test and got bad news that your server response time is high.
Then I reply to them with no. the problem does not solve.
ovh support replied after 3 days:
It's possible that this is due to how your site is built, if you do require quicker times I would recommend purchasing a VPS for your website or even a dedicated server.
they even do not run debug scripts on server to figure out the issue and let me know the exact problem.
I would appreciate if anyone could help to resolve the issue. I use Prestashop with under 10 visitors per month and I bought performance 1 which they guarantee 2 Gig of ram and 1 virtual CPU.
many thanks

rikkan
17-12-2013, 23:31
It'd be nice if you'd consider supporting virtulizor http://www.virtualizor.com/

Jasgriff
24-10-2013, 09:19
Quote Originally Posted by shadow
10mb? enough to host...Perhaps a static file if you're lucky
There is plenty of room to fit Oles new business plan in there

shadow
24-10-2013, 01:48
Quote Originally Posted by Jasgriff
Start1M actually comes with 10MB so it still needs changing

Only trying to help.
10mb? enough to host...Perhaps a static file if you're lucky

Jasgriff
23-10-2013, 18:38
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
It would have to be with "1MB" of webspace!
Start1M actually comes with 10MB so it still needs changing

Only trying to help.

rickyday
23-10-2013, 18:34
Quote Originally Posted by marks
Very simple and basic stuff.
It would have to be with "1MB" of webspace!

marks
23-10-2013, 11:53
Quote Originally Posted by Jasgriff
http://www.ovh.co.uk/domains/domain_transfer.xml

I think this needs changing as it says that you get 1MB free space? I am guessing it should say 1GB?
That's the free hosting package we offer to registered domains, the Start1M. Very simple and basic stuff.

Jasgriff
22-10-2013, 22:03
http://www.ovh.co.uk/domains/domain_transfer.xml

I think this needs changing as it says that you get 1MB free space? I am guessing it should say 1GB?

Jasgriff
12-08-2013, 20:16
What about issuing loyalty points to the people who have been singing the praises of OVH and welcoming new forum members in a friendly manor during this pressured time

I think it would be better if you removed the 'powered by vbulletin' title that comes up in search engines too. It looks like you have paid to remove the branding so not sure why that one has been left in

rickyday
11-08-2013, 09:52
Windows Phone 8 version of MOM please

dragon2611
11-08-2013, 01:38
Can the UK team start translating the new PCA pages in the Manager at https://www.ovh.com/manager/cloud/

I think I know roughly what the buttons do but it would be safer if they were in English as my French is pretty diabolical

It looks like the control panel can at least delete/restore sessions which is nice for people like myself who are useless with the API

megaukhost
07-08-2013, 14:43
Be nice if you offered a fast track option we like £10 £20 setup fee on servers you want fast tracked for setup. Of course it would only work if you enough supply of hardware.

Jasgriff
06-08-2013, 17:24
Could we have page to introduce ourselves.

I noticed that one member said that it would be polite to come in and say hi rather than just hijacking threads or asking for support.

Paul0130
28-07-2013, 21:12
You should make a resale program for kimsufis and stop being asses changing terms when people have already ordered, bad business practice.

UK1
07-07-2013, 01:57
I'd like the Personal shared hosting (£1.99 ex VAT monthly) to have secure FTP SFTP rather than having to upgrade to the £4.99 ex vat one for secure ftp.

cartwright118
01-05-2013, 22:48
Quote Originally Posted by SamH
Will it ever be available? It wont be so easy for me as I don't have vKVM!
To be honest vKVM isn't a solution anyway, it's buggy and unreliable. Look forward to seeing the new intel vPro chips in servers. Remote access on the hardware level on the chip = no need for vKVM or cost of implementing KVM.

Christian

SamH
01-05-2013, 21:17
Will it ever be available? It wont be so easy for me as I don't have vKVM!

marks
01-05-2013, 16:47
Quote Originally Posted by SamH
Is it possible to get the XCP iso made available on the manager? I really want to use Xen Cloud Platform over XenServer.

Regards,
Sam
not from OVH, but there are ways customers managed to install their own OS from an ISO, but it's something not supported from OVH

SamH
01-05-2013, 15:04
Is it possible to get the XCP iso made available on the manager? I really want to use Xen Cloud Platform over XenServer.

Regards,
Sam

marks
30-04-2013, 16:19
Quote Originally Posted by UK1
I'd like OVH to sell a VPS or Cloud service with Magento. This would be Magento fully up-to-date. Also, have back ups and redundancy at two datacentres.

Performance wise: at least 8 GB RAM and Solid State Hard disks.

In other words, a fully managed service that OVH would roll out.
OVH doesn't do managed services. But you're welcome to buy a VPS and install it, manage it, do the backups and anything else you want, on behalf of your customer. And you charge them for the job you do.

alex
29-04-2013, 13:56
Quote Originally Posted by UK1
haha, a fully managed service and OVH as company is not compatible, if they do offer such service, all clients will be pissed off, as 4 - 48 hour response is not acceptable for hosting industry.

I believe the OVH standards are 1 employee per 2-5K customers, this is a reason luck of support.

UK1
29-04-2013, 01:09
I'd like OVH to sell a VPS or Cloud service with Magento. This would be Magento fully up-to-date. Also, have back ups and redundancy at two datacentres.

Performance wise: at least 8 GB RAM and Solid State Hard disks.

Arran
01-04-2013, 12:44
Currently OVH limits the amount of UDP incoming to stop many attacks, but aren't most of those UDP attacks DNS amplification? So if we're limited to having UDP 100mbit incoming, why not then have a lower limit on source port 53 like 50mbit to make DNS amplifications ineffective. That way game servers hosted on OVH can't be brought down as the 100mbit limit is saturated with DNS amplification flood.

Phixion
08-02-2013, 18:52
As I said over the phone last time I was asked for feedback:

We need a cheaper 1Gbps server option, I was lucky and got a Kimsufi R-8G on 1Gbps... it's now been put back to 100mbit and I won't be renewing.

Even with 1Gbps I never exceeded my monthly BW usage, I just preferred the faster speeds.

With a 100mbit home connection a 100mbit server just doesn't cut it.

The EG24G seems okay at £89.99 until you add on VAT and then you're paying £107.99 per month, which is vastly more.

Arran
28-01-2013, 18:02
An option in server manager to block a few ports at the routers that way the DNS reflected attack would be ineffective and they'd give up, would stop 900 players getting disconnected and save OVH bandwidth too!

This could be like an IP address where you pay £1/month or be part of professional usage.

satdav
09-08-2012, 22:23
free hosting to non profit and to community groups

Arran
01-04-2012, 21:01
Quote Originally Posted by Mark1978
£99+VAT a month for a 1Gbps server with 20TB bandwidth - not bad.
Nope thats without VAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
702 players, what game supports that many?

Anyway, kimsufi is indeed for personal, not for running gameservers with hundreds of players. Just charge them 1/month each and you'll easily afford a proper server.
Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas and our new player peak is 852 but we're trying to hit the maximum of 1024 this coming Saturday. If you charged people to play then nobody would. But we do get enough donations to pay for the Kimsufi 24G.

Kimsufi 24G is less than £60, cheapest 1gbit would be another £60 which is just a big shame. Anything like an extra 100mbit would help so much.

And about this "personal server" well I'm looking at http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/ and I don't see anything about OVH saying that kimsufi is specifically for that and who exactly needs an i7, 24GB RAM or a 15TB bandwidth limit for personal use? I'd say running this game server would be an "extreme personal use" so 1gbit should be available!

We don't even use that much, the only problem is during the daily peak and the weekend peaks. (Each extra player being more consuming than the last) I know I'm not going to get the option anyway since I'm the only person on Earth that has a single game server that requires more than 100mbps. Just wanted to suggest it in the hope that my suggestion will make a difference.

Edit: Could always have a few Kimsufi special editions with 200mbit

Mark1978
27-03-2012, 15:46
£99+VAT a month for a 1Gbps server with 20TB bandwidth - not bad.

Thelen
08-03-2012, 07:15
702 players, what game supports that many?

Anyway, kimsufi is indeed for personal, not for running gameservers with hundreds of players. Just charge them 1/month each and you'll easily afford a proper server.

Andy
07-03-2012, 23:36
Ah right so it's your peak that is 200Mbps? Still, it's more than a personal server should ever need in OVH's eyes which is why they don't offer it.

Arran
07-03-2012, 23:12
Well the way it is now we don't even use 15TB of bandwidth because we don't use much during most hours.

Andy
07-03-2012, 18:40
Yes I know (plus you missed off VAT), but when you add up how much it would cost for you to use 200Mbps continuously for a month, it's a lot. 63TB so minus off the initial 10TB allowance you get, there's 53TB you have to pay for, so £56 extra in bandwidth costs alone.

Arran
07-03-2012, 14:07
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Bandwidth ain't cheap you know
It's been £0.98 a TB for ages.

Andy
07-03-2012, 13:13
Well a game server with that many people on it is no longer a "personal" server, so you would need a professional server from ovh.co.uk instead. However even still, pushing that much bandwidth would quickly run out of transfer as you only get about 15TB on ovh.co.uk servers. You'd need to pay for more or buy the unlimited 1Gbps for £999/month.

Bandwidth ain't cheap you know

Arran
06-03-2012, 23:35
Won't happen. Kimsufi is for personal use, something you should never need more than 100Mbps for. Plus it was a rip off when it was available at £25+VAT (pro usage plus the 1Gbps port) = £30/month. You could spend that towards an OVH.co.uk server.
I host a game server. An extremely popular game server. We've peaked 702 players, which is why a gbit or even 200mbit would be nice. Also helps when we get DRDoS'd with 98mbps from 1 of our haters.

Andy
06-03-2012, 23:21
Won't happen. Kimsufi is for personal use, something you should never need more than 100Mbps for. Plus it was a rip off when it was available at £25+VAT (pro usage plus the 1Gbps port) = £30/month. You could spend that towards an OVH.co.uk server.

Arran
06-03-2012, 23:18
Kimsufi used to have 1gbps upgrade. Would really like that now, because the cheapest 1gbps is £120/month.

IainK
25-05-2011, 02:25
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
After the successful topic created by Fozle we thought it would be great to hear from you again.

Are there any services you think OVH should offer that we don't?
Any operating systems we should offer? (Windows Server 2008)!
Is there a component or hardware that we should offer? (Maybe larger SSD Drivers?)

If have any other questions like this then please fire away and we will see what we can rustle up and let you know
I'd love to see RedHat certified hardware and stock installations of RHEL (and CentOS!). No custom kernel.

Update: Also a SSD server with Intel X25-E SSD drives, or other enterprise/server grade SSD kit. The SSD's in current servers are 'cheap' mainstream end user grade... No use for high IOPS. The 15k rpm SaS would be of more use for that.

Update: Another thing I would like to propose and hear back from you... Ripe IP blocks having a gateway inside the netmask. e.g. Every Ripe IP block is VLAN'd off at the routers. Becomes that 3 IPs are unusable: Network, Gateway and Broadcast.

Arran
23-05-2011, 23:00
Ability to view prices which include VAT instead of having to either get out calculator or having to "order" it to find out how much it really costs. I understand why OVH doesn't put prices that include VAT up but I think it causes more problems for the customer than good. They'll be impressed at how cheap it looks and then when they get to checkout and realise it didn't include VAT, they're not going to be happy are they?

Sometimes it is hard to find things in the manager, an index page with buttons for every feature of the panel would make things easier than searching through all the different tabs to find a button.

BoxSlots
13-05-2011, 12:45
Quote Originally Posted by makno
i'd really love to see the ovh/kimsufi pages without all those ** pointing to smallprints and a simple clear explaination of the charges that you will incur. besides why charging for "professional use" and on top of that charge for the extra service?

I agree with you it does get annoying but i could live with it, although i would really like to see some bigger SSD drives and some 2Gbps systems, few other little bits but they can wait for a rainy day :P

makno
09-05-2010, 12:09
i'd really love to see the ovh/kimsufi pages without all those ** pointing to smallprints and a simple clear explaination of the charges that you will incur. besides why charging for "professional use" and on top of that charge for the extra service?

bruxia
08-05-2010, 02:46
Faster standard minimum iscsi speeds and more disk space as standard on RPS boxes. I keep wanting to upgrade to a better RPS but am always stuck with the same speed of iscsi and disk space, the only incentive is cpu/memory. But price wise that starts questioning if I should go to Kimsufi, when I have a fairly low usage RPS box that works ok but could do with a bit more.

Nettus
20-02-2010, 11:33
Hi Youwhat

I totallay agree, Im not ordering a server because of the setup fees

I rekon they should charge the setup for the first server and have like a vip (trusted hosts) part where only people who dont abuse the servers are allowed to join and do free setup's for them.

But the problem is, too many people abuse the network

YouWhat
20-02-2010, 00:47
I know why you (ovh) have implemented the setup fees, but I for 1 would like to see some sort of exclusion for members that are known not to abuse the service so that we dont have to pay the £50 on the servers that was originally free to setup.

I was looking at upgrading my server but with the setup fee, this make it too expensive for me to do and I am sure that it is for a lot of other customers / members here using your services, even if we have a discount code that we can utilise after we have been using the services here for a certain amount of time, eg 3 to 6 months to have a proven track record as not to abuse things.

Emx
19-02-2010, 23:45
I would like to hear from OVH regarding this:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27445

No fixes for two weeks!

Nettus
19-02-2010, 11:31
And what makes you say that? Just because it has an xp theme?

We all use a linux distro we like, and that makes us that make people that use a custom designed theme shouldnt be running a server???

Doesnt matter what "distro" you use, Long as you feel comfertable with it, Then use it,

Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
As I said in the other thread you posted this in, someone who needs a Windows theme to make Linux usable for them really shouldn't be running a server.

egghead0
19-02-2010, 10:54
Reseller accounts for the UK - Im sure this is a LONG time coming now.

Also colo in the UK would be a nice option - maybe not london though - its a bit swamped for colo as it is

Lilpaul340
30-01-2010, 21:28
Making OVH available to USA, Its in transit thought from what i heard.

Razakel
26-01-2010, 02:40
Quote Originally Posted by gueriLLaPunkMoB
Make Ylmf as an OS option for users to install! It's perfect for those who are new to Linux.

http://www.ylmf.org/en/index.html

The English version has been released just recently. What do you guys think?
As I said in the other thread you posted this in, someone who needs a Windows theme to make Linux usable for them really shouldn't be running a server.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
26-01-2010, 01:28
Make Ylmf as an OS option for users to install! It's perfect for those who are new to Linux.

http://www.ylmf.org/en/index.html

The English version has been released just recently. What do you guys think?

dansgalaxy
28-11-2009, 20:37
24/7 support, in particular LIVE CHAT.

Better communication with customers.

Better support in general, and much faster response times.

Complete translations of site and support documentation.

Better email templates, the current ones look awful and just a total mess, need to give them some thought of design and make them clear and easy with all the relevant information prominent.

Will add more when they come to mind.

RapidSpeeds
27-11-2009, 12:26
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
Actually just some upgrade process that would allow you to seemlessly transition.. even if its just to keep the same IP.
Good idea Anything would work for me.

Razakel
20-11-2009, 21:12
The only suggestion I have is IPs.

I'd suggest letting you buy up to 4 more per server at £1/month. Any more and you need to get a RIPE block. RIPE fees and the addon charge is just too much.

freshwire
20-11-2009, 18:17
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpeeds
This would be a good idea, like the old USB hd's - but an actual fixed one if requested, or access to an iSCSI for a fee.
Actually just some upgrade process that would allow you to seemlessly transition.. even if its just to keep the same IP.

RapidSpeeds
20-11-2009, 18:09
Quote Originally Posted by Rahxie
I'd like to see the ability to upgrade servers. For example, RAM upgrades, additional hard drives etc.
This would be a good idea, like the old USB hd's - but an actual fixed one if requested, or access to an iSCSI for a fee.

RapidSpeeds
20-11-2009, 18:08
I think if you are bulk buying, or are taking the server out on a contract (as it states in 3.2 of the t&c if a customer purchases more than 2 servers you are tied into a 12 month contract)

So people who purchase more servers, or tie themselves into a 12month contract should get some loyalty points at the very least.

Rahxie
26-09-2009, 17:14
I'd like to see the ability to upgrade servers. For example, RAM upgrades, additional hard drives etc.

fvigotti
20-09-2009, 12:40
please please please.... an additional sata drive into SSD servers... i could pay for that.. but is very needed t o store data on these server without developing a dedicated appz wich send data to another server... (for data i mean.. files, server logs, incr. backups, ... )

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

turbanator
14-09-2009, 06:30
I think maybe he meens the 95% load going out to ldn-1-6k ?

same for ams-1-6k i get 1mb/sec during afternoon 60mb/sec during night

freshwire
14-09-2009, 01:12
I think maybe he meens the 95% load going out to ldn-1-6k ?

Andy
13-09-2009, 21:52
It could be the UK hosted datacenter has lack of connectivity in comparison to OVH.

drrmoa
13-09-2009, 21:50
I go through LINX and I'm currently getting my full 10Mbps from my server no problem. LINX has been updated several times since Nov 08.
I'm sure it has, regardless of how Ovh peer at Linx I'm still seeing lower than expected throughput during mainly peak hours. I'm talking Ovh -> UK hosted server both of which peer at Linx, rather than throughput on a cable broadband connection.

Andy
13-09-2009, 21:10
I go through LINX and I'm currently getting my full 10Mbps from my server no problem. LINX has been updated several times since Nov 08.

drrmoa
13-09-2009, 21:09
Where is this information?
peeringdb.com and Linx's own website (last update shows Nov 6 2008) so I guess its possible that this information hasn't been updated for a while but my reason for requesting the upgrade was due to me struggling to achieve decent throughput to the UK through Linx and the Ovh weathermaps, which frequently show heavy utilization on this route.

Andy
13-09-2009, 20:43
Quote Originally Posted by drrmoa
hmm... Linx and Peering database still show 1 X 10GB on each lan
Where is this information?

drrmoa
13-09-2009, 18:08
I believe the LINX upgrade already took place a long time ago...
hmm... Linx and Peering database still show 1 X 10GB on each lan

Andy
13-09-2009, 18:02
I believe the LINX upgrade already took place a long time ago...

drrmoa
13-09-2009, 17:57
Hello

1) I would like to see better communication from Ovh on order progress, currently my order has been outstanding for almost 2 weeks after payment confirmation, I shouldn't really have to search forums and translate posts to find out there is a delay with the server model I ordered - assuming Google translated it correctly

2) And yes larger capacity SSD's, especially drives that offer better write speed than the Intel X25M's +1

3) Increase the capacity of the link to LDN-1-6K & capacity at Linx - Priority - I remember reading a post from Oles saying that an upgrade to 2 X 10GB on both Linx lans was being planned +1

Regards DR

meena37
19-08-2009, 15:11
Hi everybody,
I am new to this site.I hope this site will help me to understand quickly.
I would like to say "hi" to all members,Welcome to the forum.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
05-08-2009, 11:00
Quote Originally Posted by Duideka
I think OVH should create a new service, suchas ovh.info, which sells to any country.
It should be made explicitly clear that the bandwidth gaurentees do not exist from this, And if you can only pull 512kbit/s you can only pull 512kbit/s.

Provide a test file to test throughput, Say this is likely what your server will provide, like ir ot not.

If i understand correctly, The reason OVH does not sell to everywhere is because they cannot be sure the person on the other end can pull the full 100mbit/s, But i know there are many people who do not mind about this (suchas myself), And OVH is well within their price range.

If the reason is they dont have peerings in those countries and its too expensive to provide transit there, Then i guess thats understandable, But i dont see how it would be much different to how it is right now considering people from all over the world access the servers currently hosted.
I like the sound of that.

Duideka
05-08-2009, 10:12
I think OVH should create a new service, suchas ovh.info, which sells to any country.
It should be made explicitly clear that the bandwidth gaurentees do not exist from this, And if you can only pull 512kbit/s you can only pull 512kbit/s.

Provide a test file to test throughput, Say this is likely what your server will provide, like ir ot not.

If i understand correctly, The reason OVH does not sell to everywhere is because they cannot be sure the person on the other end can pull the full 100mbit/s, But i know there are many people who do not mind about this (suchas myself), And OVH is well within their price range.

If the reason is they dont have peerings in those countries and its too expensive to provide transit there, Then i guess thats understandable, But i dont see how it would be much different to how it is right now considering people from all over the world access the servers currently hosted.

slayer2005
24-07-2009, 06:32
Quote Originally Posted by gueriLLaPunkMoB
Also, I can't seem to find any information about colocation. Is that something OVH might be able to do?
Its only advertised on .com

http://www.ovh.com/fr/housing/

gueriLLaPunkMoB
24-07-2009, 02:38
Also, I can't seem to find any information about colocation. Is that something OVH might be able to do?

gueriLLaPunkMoB
24-07-2009, 02:36
When will you offer 256GB SSDs? That would be awesome! Like 2x256GB SSDs in RAID 0

I would buy that in a heartbeat.

egghead0
16-06-2009, 14:36
I would like to see a new OVH range

Decent Quad Core
2x1.5 RAID (optional)
8GB RAM

Like EG AMD but with double space on the 2 drives

You offer almost every varient apart from this

elvis1
13-05-2009, 06:32
Quote Originally Posted by dwummers
Damm right. I doubt I will be getting a new server again from OVH as long as they have a setup fee. It's a killer, when you pay £30 for a windows license. For 1 month!
I doubt I will buy unless I can buy from abroad. What does it make it that tough to sell abroad? Why can I pay my American VPS“s ( yeah, I have more than one ) from my locus and not to those lovely servers? .. before the date I signed up I only visit this forum as a fan, not as a user :S

dwummers
13-05-2009, 03:11
Quote Originally Posted by Dave
+1 for that!
Damm right. I doubt I will be getting a new server again from OVH as long as they have a setup fee. It's a killer, when you pay £30 for a windows license. For 1 month!

Dave
09-05-2009, 06:00
Quote Originally Posted by Craig1983
I think you guys should take the setup fee away again i feel it is a ripoff
+1 for that!

Craig1983
08-05-2009, 20:42
After the successful topic created by Fozle we thought it would be great to hear from you again.

Is there a component or hardware that we should offer? (Maybe larger SSD Drivers?)

If have any other questions like this then please fire away and we will see what we can rustle up and let you know

I think you guys should take the setup fee away again i feel it is a ripoff

Seedbox Paradis
02-05-2009, 21:15
Quote Originally Posted by elvis1
you should:
-offer reseller packages
-have better attention to client ( the 100 k tickets answered was a complete scam)
-be more transparent and detail everything in plain English ( not French)
-explain in a more consistent ways bandwidth limitations per plan
-offer your services worldwide
-accelerate RPS SAS drive speed
-take care of abuse emails sent ( not just ignore them or try to pretend they were never received in order not to loose customers). you do not allow abuse reports in the forum so we cant expose the bad guys publicly but you dont do any real thing with them
-better routing to LatAm
-not ask for a setup fee ( is well know that the only use of it is pocket money and it is not fair for clients)

after all that made you would be second to none (worldwide)!

Hope you understand my only aim is make you better, not try to tease you
Ok, here goes the answer to your points:

1. Yes, we're all waiting for that
2. What do you expect for the price, they're cheap and they offer good service to those that know how to manage a server, this isn't the place for newbies
3. Do you understand what guaranteeing connection speeds means to OVH? Unlike all other dedicated server providers they want to guarantee that the customers get the advertised speed.
4. Read up on the RPSs, the way they're made prevents them from being very fast.
5. Well I don't blame them, sure most people use their servers for illegal means but if that's a way of making money, kudos to OVH for utilizing it
6. For this point you can use my answer to your third question. Its mainly the fault of the network infrastructure placed in Latin America that you get bad routing. How many data centers do you know of that actually setup their own connections to countries in order to guarantee speed? To be honest OVH is one of a kind in that matter, and no offense, but it will be a while before they do something about their routing to Latin America. Why? Firstly they have no infrastructure outside of Europe (not even all of it), and there is a much, much bigger market in North America waiting to be utilized. I'm not sure if offering servers to Latin America makes sense, the market isn't exactly great there, though it might happen.
7. I agree on this point, though I'm no expert on how the pricing works and what OVH needs to pay for in order to deliver these babies to us

elvis1
02-05-2009, 20:58
you should:
-offer reseller packages
-have better attention to client ( the 100 k tickets answered was a complete scam)
-be more transparent and detail everything in plain English ( not French)
-explain in a more consistent ways bandwidth limitations per plan
-offer your services worldwide
-accelerate RPS SAS/SAN drive speeds
-take care of abuse emails sent ( not just ignore them or try to pretend they were never received in order not to loose customers). you do not allow abuse reports in the forum so we cant expose the bad guys publicly but you dont do any real thing with them
-better routing to LatAm
-not ask for a setup fee ( is well know that the only use of it is pocket money and it is not fair for clients)

after all that made you would be second to none (worldwide)!

Hope you understand my only aim is make you better, not try to tease you

Copied from another guy:
Weekly youtube videos from the whole team, especially Oles showing us his routage! lol

tjm21
22-04-2009, 19:11
I would like to be able to use my own Windows Licence, if not reduce the fee, maybe the longer contract you sign 3,6,9,12 the cheaper the Licence gets? I think this is only fair now we have to pay a setup fee.

Ashley
22-04-2009, 17:09
I would like a guide on how to set up IPv6 properly in the OVH manager. With examples, screenshots and wrote in perfect English. Pros and Cons on IPv6 would also be a bonus.

Andy
15-04-2009, 19:13
Quote Originally Posted by hashbangbinbash
Thanks for reply .

But say you have 100Mbps bandwidth, it should be fairly likely that the highest usage (in a month of 5 minute data-points, the top 5% of which are thrown out) being something like 80Mbps should be quite reasonable. But that's ten times higher than 8Mbps. That's what I find confusing, what am I missing?
95th percentile is useful if you have stable traffic but one day you might have a peak in traffic because of something interesting you have on your site.

E.G. Your average is 5-6Mbps throughput, but one day you have 50% more traffic to 9Mbps. The top 5% of the peak in bandwidth is discarded and this leaves you with your 95th percentile. This stops you getting put onto the 8Mbps transit limit because most of the bandwidth peak isn't counted.

If you look on your MRTG graphs, the orange line is your current 95th percentile value. If this exceeds 8Mbps, then your transit bandwidth is cut to 8Mbps (but your peering remains at 100Mbps). Transit bandwidth costs a lot of money, and this can't be covered by the cheap cost of the RPS. Therefore OVH put a limit on it if you exceed the 95th percentile. Peering is unaffected however, as it costs OVH nothing to provide this.

Transit = Mostly International (USA, Australia, etc)
Peering = Mostly Europe
There are exceptions though, ISP dependent.

If you need 100Mbps to everywhere all the time even if you go over 8Mbps average, go onto the bandwidth series and pay for the bandwidth you use.

freshwire
15-04-2009, 18:59
If thats the case you would be better off with the traffic series which offers 2TB/mo.

ruperthair
15-04-2009, 18:36
Quote Originally Posted by ruperthair
How is the "default kernel" determined? Does something read the grub 'menu.lst'?
I'm still looking for an answer to this question about the 'HD' boot option for the RPS. Can anyone help?

hashbangbinbash
15-04-2009, 18:06
Thanks for reply .

But say you have 100Mbps bandwidth, it should be fairly likely that the highest usage (in a month of 5 minute data-points, the top 5% of which are thrown out) being something like 80Mbps should be quite reasonable. But that's ten times higher than 8Mbps. That's what I find confusing, what am I missing?

freshwire
15-04-2009, 17:36
Roughly speaking your average usage should not be more than 8mbps.

However the tech of it goes like this:

1. The bandwidth usage is sampled every 5 minutes
2. The recording are stored for a month
3. The top 5% of recordings are then discarded (leaving 95%)
4. The highest out of the remaining 95% is then taken as your usage value.
5. If the number in part 4 is above 8mbps then you will be limited.

Some advice:

Running websites with stable traffic: Standard Series
Running services that have lots of bursts in traffic: Traffic Series

Hope this is helpful

hashbangbinbash
15-04-2009, 17:29
No, look up what 95th percentile is.
Nope, don't get it. Wiki doesn't explain why averaging over 100Mbps means (if I understand you correctly) breaking over 8Mbps. It's not like 8Mbps and 100Mbps are similar amounts. Please explain as if addressing an idyot, I'd appreciate it.

Google just brings up lots of forums full of people telling me how google-is-my-friend.

Neil
15-04-2009, 17:25
Don't you mean until you break 95Mbps? (95% of 100Mbps right?)
No, the 95th Percentile (Burstable Billing), however the bandwidth on an RPS is different because it has a 100Mbps connection but it is not guaranteed at all because it is reliant on the SAN which is shared, we do are best to keep the SAN's fast and stable.

Andy
15-04-2009, 16:28
No, look up what 95th percentile is.

hashbangbinbash
15-04-2009, 16:19
Traffic series would give you 100Mbps guaranteed until you hit your limit. The current bandwidth plan gives you 100Mbps until you break the 8Mbps 95th percentile then its limited to 8Mbps transit, but 100Mbps peering. There are many reasons why you'd want the traffic series over the standard.

Andy
10-04-2009, 19:06
Quote Originally Posted by gased
Well unclebob that's a little bit stupid.
The bandwidth is now unlimited and you want it limited??
RPS have no low and normal priority. :/
Traffic series would give you 100Mbps guaranteed until you hit your limit. The current bandwidth plan gives you 100Mbps until you break the 8Mbps 95th percentile then its limited to 8Mbps transit, but 100Mbps peering. There are many reasons why you'd want the traffic series over the standard.

gased
10-04-2009, 19:03
Well unclebob that's a little bit stupid.
The bandwidth is now unlimited and you want it limited??
RPS have no low and normal priority. :/

unclebob
06-04-2009, 22:44
Just thought of one:

RPS available with "Traffic Series" bandwidth plans! I'd like to be able to have > 8Mbps @ 95%ile, and I don't mind paying for it. Especially when £0.02 /GB +VAT seems to be the going rate.

Andy
04-04-2009, 12:37
Yeah if RPS's worked properly 100% of the time, but with iSCSI issues its just not my thing. Anyway my server needs at least 810GB of space these days, which is why I ended up getting the 500GB USB disk. 50GB wouldn't cut it

I was thinking of upgrading to the SP Storage but I can't afford it. It would be £120/month including the windows web edition license and VAT... Not to mention the setup fee of £49... Thats over double the price of my current server just for extra disk space and a bit more CPU.

rickyday
04-04-2009, 12:34
OVH have also gone backwards over the last 12 months with their "good deals".
The RPS promotion with 50GB of space is absolutely amazing tho

Andy
04-04-2009, 12:29
I agree the price is too high. As you say its cheaper at other hosts. Even my last host only charged $15 for Windows Server 2003 Web Edition, thats £7.50!

I also agree the setup fee is a killer. If the servers were customised then sure, whack a setup fee in, but since they're all built to the same spec why should we have to pay that fee?!

OVH have also gone backwards over the last 12 months with their "good deals". I mean my server is the same as the old 2XL in terms of specs, except for a 750gb hard drive and not 250gb, and I get premium bandwidth, not standard and more disk space, for less than the cost of the 2XL! They've gone backwards not forwards in terms of cost vs specs! I don't get it. Come on OVH, book up your ideas please!

Seedbox Paradis
04-04-2009, 12:24
I'd get a better server if I were you, either SP Mini or BestOF, but the setup fee on those is a killer, especially when working on a low budget :/ I can get Windows Server 2003 for 15EUR from other dedicated server hosts, so paying OVH twice as much isn't something I'm willing to do. If they don't want us to use our own licenses at least cut the price in half, I think a lot of people will order them which will end up making OVH more money )

Andy
04-04-2009, 12:11
And me, even though I don't currently pay for mine, if I ever upgraded server (which might be sooner than I think at the growth rate of my site) I wouldn't be able to afford £30/month for the Windows license... My server already costs £57/month with 1 USB disk attached, and its stretched my budget to breaking point. I'm thankful I get donations to help me out!

Seedbox Paradis
04-04-2009, 11:18
Quote Originally Posted by RikT
What i would like to see is the long awaited introduction of being able to use you own license fro windows server it has been said for quite some time this was happening but to no avail please please do this I think lots of other people here would agree this one!!
Count me in on that one

freshwire
04-04-2009, 04:32
Free toy with all new orders

Andy
03-04-2009, 23:37
- Better explanations on bandwidth for ALL servers, including RPS and Kimsufi. Its not clear enough for "normal" people to understand. Even I struggle sometimes and I'm quite technically minded.

- KVMoverIP would be nice too, and even better if it were free!

- Faster e-mail support, get someone to stick to a certain number of queries so they reply in under 15 minutes to each response. That would be perfect! 2 replies a day really isn't enough.

- 24/7 e-mail and phone support is a must... these are mission critical services after all.

- Ability to remove USB drives for free when they're no longer needed. I don't see why we should be tied into a contract we no longer want.

- Ability to upgrade a server would be nice, as would fully customised servers! I would even pay a setup fee for this if required to get just the hardware I wanted, and I'd be prepared to wait up to a week for it!

I'll add more if I think of them.

wackomoo
03-04-2009, 23:27
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
- External storage. Ie., iSCSI, NFS/Samba, GlusterFS. Sure, you could do with an extra server or USB storage, but this would make it much simpler to "resize" according to your needs (elastic computing... Make OVH the competitor to EC2!)

- Rental option for a real, hardware IP-KVM. I never had good luck with the vKVM... If I ever got that e-mail with the password (damn that black hole)

- A blog from Oles and the staff. It's always good to read Oles' frenglish posts about the going ons within OVH, but it'd be better if it's consolidated in a blog. Plus I could subscribe to the blog with RSS, as I don't always have time to check out forum messages but don't want to miss out on some things (like the half-price offer earlier this week!)

- A prettier website. I can't stand this many shades of blue
In the same order:
+1 elasticity sounds cool, especially if you can resize up and down!
+1 but please leave the free vKVM!
+1 even if it's only google translate
-1 I love the shades of blue

Myatu
03-04-2009, 19:49
- External storage. Ie., iSCSI, NFS/Samba, GlusterFS. Sure, you could do with an extra server or USB storage, but this would make it much simpler to "resize" according to your needs (elastic computing... Make OVH the competitor to EC2!)

- Rental option for a real, hardware IP-KVM. I never had good luck with the vKVM... If I ever got that e-mail with the password (damn that black hole)

- A blog from Oles and the staff. It's always good to read Oles' frenglish posts about the going ons within OVH, but it'd be better if it's consolidated in a blog. Plus I could subscribe to the blog with RSS, as I don't always have time to check out forum messages but don't want to miss out on some things (like the half-price offer earlier this week!)

- A prettier website. I can't stand this many shades of blue

wackomoo
03-04-2009, 11:08
Quote Originally Posted by RikT
What i would like to see is the long awaited introduction of being able to use you own license fro windows server it has been said for quite some time this was happening but to no avail please please do this I think lots of other people here would agree this one!!
+1 please

RikT
02-04-2009, 17:05

ruperthair
02-04-2009, 14:25
When you select HD it will boot the default kernel that came with the operating system, this can be upgraded or recompiled to your needs.

The RAM does not to be configured, it is a USB Memory stick plugged into the server.
You seem to have misunderstood what I meant by "initial RAM disk". The initial RAM disk contains the modules and 'init scripts' required to boot a Linux system with a modular kernel. The OVH kernels do not use modules but still use an initial RAM disk to initialize the iSCSI 'hard disk' and mount the root partition.

How is the "default kernel" determined? Does something read the grub 'menu.lst'?

Neil
02-04-2009, 13:30
How does this work? The motherboards used in the RPSes don't support iSCSI, so I can't see how you can boot from the 'hard drive'.

How do I specify which kernel to boot, which initial RAM disk to use, and what kernel parameters to give it?
The RPS's do use iSCSI, see https://www.ovh.co.uk/products/rps_functioning.xml if you want to use NFS then you will need to reinstall the operating system and select NFS.

When you select HD it will boot the default kernel that came with the operating system, this can be upgraded or recompiled to your needs.

The RAM does not to be configured, it is a USB Memory stick plugged into the server.

ruperthair
02-04-2009, 13:14
I see HD in your manager above rescue-pro which stands for local drive, which will then force the RPS to boot up the kernel on the hard drive, this will take a while for the RPS to boot up and maybe cause you to get an intervention email, but it does work.
How does this work? The motherboards used in the RPSes don't support iSCSI, so I can't see how you can boot from the 'hard drive'.

How do I specify which kernel to boot, which initial RAM disk to use, and what kernel parameters to give it?

Neil
02-04-2009, 13:10
Change what to what? The 'Netboot expert' link is greyed out for me and the only options I can choose are as follows:

• rescue-pro
  • vKVM
  • 2.6.28.4 x86 & SMP
  • 2.6.28.4 x86 & SMP & IPv6
  • 2.6.28.4 x86 & SMP & HZ_1000
  • 2.6.27.10 x86 & SMP & GRSEC
  • 2.6.27.10 x86 & SMP & GRSEC & IPv6

As we've discussed in some other thread, the 'hd' option isn't applicable on the RPS so I don't know how I'd go about getting the RPS to boot my kernel.
I see HD in your manager above rescue-pro which stands for local drive, which will then force the RPS to boot up the kernel on the hard drive, this will take a while for the RPS to boot up and maybe cause you to get an intervention email, but it does work.

ruperthair
02-04-2009, 13:05
You can use your own Kernel, by default it uses the NetBoot Kernel but you can change it on the OVH Manager and then compile your own.
Change what to what? The 'Netboot expert' link is greyed out for me and the only options I can choose are as follows:

• rescue-pro
  • vKVM
  • 2.6.28.4 x86 & SMP
  • 2.6.28.4 x86 & SMP & IPv6
  • 2.6.28.4 x86 & SMP & HZ_1000
  • 2.6.27.10 x86 & SMP & GRSEC
  • 2.6.27.10 x86 & SMP & GRSEC & IPv6

As we've discussed in some other thread, the 'hd' option isn't applicable on the RPS so I don't know how I'd go about getting the RPS to boot my kernel.

Seedbox Paradis
02-04-2009, 12:21
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
One more thing a photo of S0phie would be nice
This forum needs more glamour!

There are far too many men around
Hehe, I second the request

PCDiver
02-04-2009, 12:08
What about iSCSI for dedicated servers? This would be great for easy storage expansion

Neil
02-04-2009, 12:06
I'd like to be able to run my own kernel on my RPS. I know this will cause some support requests from users who don't get it right but it could be billed as an advanced feature with no support.

I'd also like to be able to run OpenSolaris or Nexenta on my RPS so that I can take advantage of ZFS compression and snapshots.

Thanks for asking. I don't think there's many ISPs out there that would even ask this question!
You can use your own Kernel, by default it uses the NetBoot Kernel but you can change it on the OVH Manager and then compile your own.

Thanks for the feedback keep it coming, if you have see something posted already don't forget to reply with +1 or agreeing with it. Then we know how popular it is.

slayer2005
01-04-2009, 23:53
Cheaper prices on windows OS.
The abilty to add more ram,hardrives.

unclebob
01-04-2009, 23:07
Non-recurring payments for additional RPS disk space

turbanator
01-04-2009, 22:26
Better link to london (i know i know its coming)
much much better network to london and all thats for sure and have some kind of consistency with the kimsufi down speeds :P

freshwire
01-04-2009, 22:23
Better link to london (i know i know its coming)

wackomoo
01-04-2009, 21:50
Quote Originally Posted by Tz-OVH
Some proper discounts for paying 3mo in advance, I pay for Win2003 web right now, I'd gladly pay OVH 3mo at a time if it meant a discount on this...
That would be nice. But as a compromise, perhaps a % bonus of loyalty points if you order 3/6/12 months at a time?

Tz-OVH
01-04-2009, 20:13
Some proper discounts for paying 3mo in advance, I pay for Win2003 web right now, I'd gladly pay OVH 3mo at a time if it meant a discount on this...

turbanator
01-04-2009, 20:00
be more specific about kimsufis download usage..as to when it gets throttled

rickyday
01-04-2009, 19:55
One more thing a photo of S0phie would be nice
This forum needs more glamour!

There are far too many men around

rickyday
01-04-2009, 19:54
More choice of Operating Systems with RPS's for instance theres no FreeBSD or Slackware available with a RPS

rickyday
01-04-2009, 19:50
Control Panel could do with a facelift as well, it all works fine but looks dated.

rickyday
01-04-2009, 19:49
Please add Windows Server 2008 to the available operating systems.
Please look at lowering the charges for Windows Licenses, Windows STD for instance, maybe along the lines of £20 per month? other companies supply 2003/8 STD server for £15 per month, why cant OVH?

An option to create my own custom dedicated server

Weekly youtube videos from the whole team, especially Oles showing us his routage! lol

wackomoo
01-04-2009, 19:43
Quote Originally Posted by S0phie
Can you be more specific, where do you have to agree to the ToS in French? I can't find it, it appears in English for me.
You know what, I'm signed up under French OVH and it redirects me to French OVH before my order goes through, so thats likely why. Sorry to trouble you about it.

S0phie
01-04-2009, 19:22
Quote Originally Posted by wackomoo
When ordering domains on .co.uk I still have to accept and agree to the ToS in French. The ToS and PDF's are just screaming "Fix me beautiful!"
Can you be more specific, where do you have to agree to the ToS in French? I can't find it, it appears in English for me.

ruperthair
01-04-2009, 19:00
I'd like to be able to run my own kernel on my RPS. I know this will cause some support requests from users who don't get it right but it could be billed as an advanced feature with no support.

I'd also like to be able to run OpenSolaris or Nexenta on my RPS so that I can take advantage of ZFS compression and snapshots.

Thanks for asking. I don't think there's many ISPs out there that would even ask this question!

wackomoo
01-04-2009, 17:58
Maybe it's like that across every provider and I'm just not aware of it, but I think SSL certificates are very expensive. Also, they are only available on the French website as far as I can tell.

I'd like to see the option to upgrade burstable bandwidth per month. Say I only need 100mbit burst most of the time, but August will turn out to be my busiest month because it's beautiful weather and everyone wants to find out where the beach party is so they all visit my site - voila, lots of traffic! So let me upgrade to 200mbit or 500mbit or 1gbit burst for August for a fee even on the entry level OVH servers that are now limited to 100mbit (start deploying them with gbit cards if they aren't already). Not guaranteed business bandwidth either, just burstable.

Ability to buy more space on the FTP back up per month, perhaps in 100GB slots? Few euro/month. I know I'd have gladly payed 20 bucks to have extra few 100 GB storage for that one week when I needed it. (But what I do not want is to have to get the platinum service or anything like that, because I don't need it all the time.)

Server 2008 gets my vote! Would be nice to try it out in more of a production environment than just in a VM at home
I have no use of SSD's, but I'm sure someone will appreciate larger ones. Maybe I will in a year or two...

The ability to DISconnect (yes, unplug!) USB drives - hey, you can even charge me a fee for it (say 10-15 eur, nothing too high) if it incurrs a bit of work.

When are we getting real KVM?

Ability to apply the loyalty points towards a partial bill and pay the rest by CC. Right now they are useless to me.

Oles-cam! Video-tours of the data centers, especially the newly built sections with information about the building itself, the energy usage (or rather: how you try to keep it as low as possible), the network, cooling, safety & security, disaster prevention & recovery.

Make it clearer on the site that the numbers of available servers 1h/72h are not live and just estimates. Automatically email with an ETA.

Possibility to buy bandwidth per infrastructure! (As opposed to buying per server.) I know this was discussed earlier, I think maybe by xrcode but I'm not sure.

I'll edit my post once I think of more

Neil
01-04-2009, 17:35