We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Advice wanted - Opsys/Mem/iSCSI etc?

Seedbox Paradis
08-04-2009, 15:38
Quote Originally Posted by hashbangbinbash
Not only have you completely missed the point of my very immature toilet-level humour, you have also succeeded in a highly useful reply at the same time.

Touche sir.
LMAO

hashbangbinbash
07-04-2009, 17:46
Not only have you completely missed the point of my very immature toilet-level humour, you have also succeeded in a highly useful reply at the same time.

Touche sir.

unclebob
07-04-2009, 15:38
Quote Originally Posted by hashbangbinbash
I would use this command too, but looking for the man page on this command makes me feel uncomfortable, and I shudder to think what google would turn up.

Best leave it I think. Stick to rsync.
It made me a little uncomfortable at first also. Magnetic tape and floppy disks... Eeeek!

I use:
Code:
/sbin/dump -0 -f /home/backups/diskdump.`date +\%F`.bin /
as a cron job

Were that to run today, it would do a level zero backup (entire file system), starting at /, to a file at /home/backups/diskdump2009-04-07.bin

Enjoy

hashbangbinbash
07-04-2009, 12:50
Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
For backups, I use dump to create an image of the OS every week and I use rsync for hourly backups of my /home directory.
I would use this command too, but looking for the man page on this command makes me feel uncomfortable, and I shudder to think what google would turn up.

Best leave it I think. Stick to rsync.

hillo10
07-04-2009, 10:49
i know it's real hardware, however i was just giving my experience with a rps. I tried backing up the DB and reinstalling mysql and doing a clean install of the os, however it kept crashing still. I even had monitoring software running to restart the mysql server however that freaked out due to the amount of times it crashed.

A RPS might be for you, but it's not for everyone.

Andy
07-04-2009, 09:17
It could have just been an installation issue. RPS runs the same as a dedicated server, just it has a shared hard disk instead... Its still real hardware.

hillo10
07-04-2009, 09:10
Hi, i hosted a forum on a rps and no matter what i did the mysql server kept crashing, no problem with code etc, now i have switched to a dedicated server and it runs fine, no crashes.

it's true, a rps is fun, thats it :P

unclebob
03-04-2009, 20:23
No problem. Good luck!

nicomorr
03-04-2009, 20:09
OK - it's the dedicated server packages that have an USB storage option ...

I see the Linksys PAP2:

Bubba|Two looks interesting.

But I have no fixed line, only cellphone 3G+ dongle limited to 3GB/month.

That's plenty for my little site and some surfing & email etc but not for backup up of distros!

So I'll have to backup to another machine elsewhere - a third-party remote as it were.

Thanks again,
Nico M

unclebob
03-04-2009, 19:38
I have a couple of home (Debian) Linux servers that I use as the destination for my backups:

A modified Linksys PAP2 running off a 16GB USB stick and a Bubba|Two from Excito.com with a 1TB drive. They run at 3 and 15 watts respectively, so I'm able to keep them on 24/7. Works out better for me than any online storage.

Also, as far as I know, you can't purchase USB sticks for any RPS.

nicomorr
03-04-2009, 19:22
Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
I use Debian Etch, mainly because it's the Linux distro I have most experience with. I think it's better to go bare distro and build it up yourself so you are fully in control of the processes that are running.

Uptime is fairly good, though I have had fewer problems with other hosts. I have had one bout of downtime, where a staff member unplugged the iSCSI server(!), which lasted 20 hours+. I was reimbursed a month's fees for this mistake, however.

iSCSI hasn't dropped connection, per se, but I don't think performance is as good as a local hard drive. The redundancy of it is a nice feature though.

For backups, I use dump to create an image of the OS every week and I use rsync for hourly backups of my /home directory.

It doesn't sound like you are hosting anything of critical importance, so I'd say an RPS is a good choice. It's certainly the best value for money server that I have rented.

Hope this helps.
Hey UncleBob!

Thank you - just the sort of response I wanted.

I'm not a great Linux admin - I learnt enough to setup & update & install & indeed find rootkits & run netsaint & many other things, but that was all RH Enterprise & I have since had a colo server running bare Debian (my old Perl/PhP fixer/programmer swears by Deb & won't use anything else for himself. But I found Debian impenetrable & idiosyncratic & never liked it, never got over the Hump with it I suppose). I started as a C programmer under DOS3 believe it or not ....

I know dump & rsync - are you doing that into your local machine? My problem is I move around & use a portable 3G Dongle - I'm VERY limited in bandwidth with it. Suppose I'll have to rent some disk space on another server somewhere .... do server-to-server dump & rsync.

Maybe could arrange some 'swap' space with someone in the OVG datacentre. At 2/month for 10GB backup space .... oh - there's the USB sticks.

I don't mind a little downtime and a little slowness occasionally - I WOULD mind losing all my data.

Thanks again very much for your timely & informative response.

Regards,
Nico M
Wandsworth
London UK

unclebob
03-04-2009, 18:59
I use Debian Etch, mainly because it's the Linux distro I have most experience with. I think it's better to go bare distro and build it up yourself so you are fully in control of the processes that are running.

Uptime is fairly good, though I have had fewer problems with other hosts. I have had one bout of downtime, where a staff member unplugged the iSCSI server(!), which lasted 20 hours+. I was reimbursed a month's fees for this mistake, however.

iSCSI hasn't dropped connection, per se, but I don't think performance is as good as a local hard drive. The redundancy of it is a nice feature though.

It doesn't sound like you are hosting anything of critical importance, so I'd say an RPS is a good choice. It's certainly the best value for money server that I have rented.

Hope this helps.

nicomorr
03-04-2009, 15:16
Hello Folks,

I am thinking of moving to an RPS II hosting package, my site is a blog & a photo repository, low traffic at present but may get quite busy.

There will be only one, possibly 2 domains on the server.

I plan to run Wordpress & Gallery II (or Coppermine) with the option for ecommerce later, probably Zen as I know the Zen package.

What operating system would the users here recommend?

Should I go bare distro or get the Gentoo installation with Webmin & PhpMyAdmin?

What has been the uptime experience of users here?

Is it true that the main pof is the iSCSI connection which drops rather too easily?

I have been told that open-iSCSI is still in hot development - is that true?

What do people do for backups?

Please only answer from experience with OVH, no "I used RH5 at HostX and liked it".

Thank you in advance - it is very useful to be allowed into this forum prior to purchase & if I commit I will be as helpful as I can in my turn.

I ran a hosting company for 7 years, but sold it in 2005 as we were making less & less money - we were a Red Hat house, with individual hardware servers only, no SAN even - very old-fashioned but jolly reliable & maintainable.

Regards,
Nico Morrison
London UK
http://nicomorrison.com