OVH Community, your new community space.

Domain Wildcards

marks
03-06-2009, 18:09
We already provide wildcards in our DNS zones. Just create a CNAME record with subdomain * and pointing to the IP or hostname you want.

It was introduced last month upon your requests.

eekcage
03-06-2009, 18:01
Hi,

Second that second

Ashley
22-04-2009, 18:27
I second this notion for wildcard subdomains.

Andy
07-04-2009, 17:11
Quote Originally Posted by Marks
At the moment we don't provide them, though I gotta say that we've requested it. I'll update you if there is any news on this, but right now, that's how it is.

cheers!
Thank you!

marks
07-04-2009, 17:07
At the moment we don't provide them, though I gotta say that we've requested it. I'll update you if there is any news on this, but right now, that's how it is.

cheers!

Andy
07-04-2009, 15:54
Quote Originally Posted by fast1
what is a wildcard subdomain?
You enter one sub-domain as a * which is a wild card, and any sub-domain that doesn't exist as entered manually will use the wild card instead. It just means you don't have to enter every combination of sub-domains you're going to use if they all point to the same IP anyway.

fast1
07-04-2009, 15:52
what is a wildcard subdomain?

Andy
06-04-2009, 18:13
Quote Originally Posted by Marks
If you manage your domain name through the OVH manager, and therefore, you use OVH's DNS server, you cannot use wildcards.

If you're using your own DNS server installed in a dedicated server, then it's fine, you can configure it there.

Cheers!
Why do you not offer wildcards on the OVH DNS? Other providers do and its a godsend when you have lots of sub-domains pointed to the same IP. It saves the word adding them.

marks
06-04-2009, 18:09
If you manage your domain name through the OVH manager, and therefore, you use OVH's DNS server, you cannot use wildcards.

If you're using your own DNS server installed in a dedicated server, then it's fine, you can configure it there.

Cheers!

Myatu
03-04-2009, 20:34
You simply use a * in the A or CNAME record. For example *.mydomain.co.uk.

Any additional, specific sub domains are not included in the wildcard. So if you had a *.mydomain.co.uk A record and a othersite.mydomain.co.uk A record, "othersite.mydomain.co.uk" would be different than "anythingelse.mydomain.co.uk".

Some TLDs use it too, check out www.ihfkjhf-whateveryouwant-84973uydsawsuif.nu for example

Callumpy
03-04-2009, 20:10
How can i set a wildcard subdomain ?