We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Release 2 RPS

Andy
10-04-2009, 20:05
Transit = Links OVH pay for bandwidth to pass through
Peering = Links OVH have contracts with to allow free bandwidth to pass over

They limit the speed on transit because it costs them so much and the tiny cost of your server can't pay for it. Peering costs them nothing so they give you the full speed on them.

jackkirk
10-04-2009, 18:22
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Only over the transit links, which are to outside Europe in most cases. Some peering does go to outside Europe but not much of it. I honestly don't think you'll even notice. You yourself will use peering anyway most likely as you're based in Europe.
Transit links?

Andy
10-04-2009, 18:04
Quote Originally Posted by jackkirk
So am I right in thinking that if I use over 8Mbps constantly most of time, I will be limited to 8Mbps?
Only over the transit links, which are to outside Europe in most cases. Some peering does go to outside Europe but not much of it. I honestly don't think you'll even notice. You yourself will use peering anyway most likely as you're based in Europe.

jackkirk
10-04-2009, 17:54
So am I right in thinking that if I use over 8Mbps constantly most of time, I will be limited to 8Mbps?

unclebob
10-04-2009, 14:44
As long as your 95th percentile average is less than 8Mbps, your bandwidth will not be limited. 8Mbps equates to about 2.5TB per month.

When your bandwidth is limited, it essentially means that your international connectivity is low priority. You may still be able to push 100Mbps though. European connectivity is not affected that much so if most of your traffic is going to Europe, you won't see much of a difference.

Andy
10-04-2009, 13:17
Sorry, I don't understand! I want to know if I can use as much bandwidth as I like regardless of the speed? With my current VPS package I get 2TB of data transfere, when I switch to OVH with a RPS, could I use say 50TB (if possible) without being charged any extra for data transfere charges?
Yes, you will never be charged extra. On 100Mbps you can use up to 32TB of bandwidth in a month (physical limit of 100Mbps).

jackkirk
10-04-2009, 13:04
Take a look at the bandwidth regime here: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1199 Scroll down to Kimsufi servers. Thats about as clear as the "limits" can be made. If you can't understand that (as many don't), then it can't be made any clearer I'm afraid.

Put simply, if you choose standard (only option on an RPS), you get 100Mbps peering and 100Mbps transit, until you exceed 8Mbps average bandwidth, then you are limited to 8Mbps transit, but the peering remains at 100Mbps.

Peering = Europe Bandwidth (mostly)
Transit = International (Australia, USA, etc, anything outside Europe)

If you have any questions, do ask, and I'll do my best to answer.
Sorry, I don't understand! I want to know if I can use as much bandwidth as I like regardless of the speed? With my current VPS package I get 2TB of data transfere, when I switch to OVH with a RPS, could I use say 50TB (if possible) without being charged any extra for data transfere charges?

Neil
10-04-2009, 11:31
I am thinking of getting a RPS. Do you have any screen shots of the 'release 2 RPS' control panel, Can I still use SSH with this?
With Release 2, the control panel is Webmin, you can find guides and screenshots under the Release 1 section here, http://help.ovh.co.uk/help (Release 1 and 2 are the same just with PHP5 etc..)

Andy
09-04-2009, 17:47
Well I am ordering in about 6 weeks, does unlimited bandwidth really mean unlimited?
Take a look at the bandwidth regime here: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1199 Scroll down to Kimsufi servers. Thats about as clear as the "limits" can be made. If you can't understand that (as many don't), then it can't be made any clearer I'm afraid.

Put simply, if you choose standard (only option on an RPS), you get 100Mbps peering and 100Mbps transit, until you exceed 8Mbps average bandwidth, then you are limited to 8Mbps transit, but the peering remains at 100Mbps.

Peering = Europe Bandwidth (mostly)
Transit = International (Australia, USA, etc, anything outside Europe)

If you have any questions, do ask, and I'll do my best to answer.

jackkirk
09-04-2009, 17:41
I can't help with the first one as I don't have an RPS, but yes, you can still use SSH no problem at all.

Its worth mentioning there is a backlog on orders at the moment, so if you order an RPS it could be up to a week before you get it. Just a heads up.
Well I am ordering in about 6 weeks, does unlimited bandwidth really mean unlimited?

Andy
09-04-2009, 17:38
I can't help with the first one as I don't have an RPS, but yes, you can still use SSH no problem at all.

Its worth mentioning there is a backlog on orders at the moment, so if you order an RPS it could be up to a week before you get it. Just a heads up.

jackkirk
09-04-2009, 17:32
I am thinking of getting a RPS. Do you have any screen shots of the 'release 2 RPS' control panel, Can I still use SSH with this?