OVH Community, your new community space.

kernel change for CentOS Linux - OVH? HOW?

helpseeker
15-04-2009, 09:34
have you tried this way:

http://evcz.tk/blog/2008/10/21/remote-centos-install/

to do a centos clean install?

I spent days trying to get an official centos kernel running on the OVH install... and all the tries failed... so you either compile a modolar one using the OVH config or you have to install a real centos on your box

freshwire
14-04-2009, 19:30
Your system is probably using LILO instead of grub.

/etc/lilo.conf ?

yonatan
14-04-2009, 12:49
Quote Originally Posted by fozle
How about dmidecode?
very nice, that helped,
ok now what about the grub.conf / menu.lst ?

where can i see it , its not in the /boot partition , i dont quite get how the system even boots
awsome scripting, but where can i configure it to tick as i want?

fozl
14-04-2009, 12:00
How about dmidecode?

yonatan
14-04-2009, 11:48
not really helpfull due to the fact that i dont know what hardware exactly we are useing here,
when i do lsmod i cannot see information about what's loaded.

where can i obtain such info?
or even .config file from your build will be nice.

Neil
14-04-2009, 11:31
Hi

It is not possible to add Modules to a Static Kernel, if you require Modules then you will need to compile your own Kernel, breaking away from the Kernel OVH supply.

We have no plans at present to provide a modular Kernel, all the resources to compile your own are available at ftp://ftp.ovh.net/made-in-ovh/

Hope that helps!

yonatan
14-04-2009, 10:27
Hello!
i have a dedicated server and is running this kernel
[root@server ~]# uname -r
2.6.27.10-grsec-xxxx-grs-ipv4-32
[root@server ~]#

i wish to add kernel modules to be able to add more fetures to my server
i.e. modules for VPN PPTP service.
also could i add XEN to it , that would be awsome!
the server is currently Running and in production! which means i cannot afford downtime of more then a reboot late at night.

i am very happy with this kernel configuration due to its good security fetures, so i would like to keep it but i really want to use some extra features.

i understood that the Debian release that ovh provides DOSE have a xen kernel, but my choise is to stick with CentOS , and i am not willing to change distro.

any advice? how to keep the features of this kernel with more functions? - i need to wait for OVH to make a new kernel for me?