OVH Community, your new community space.

Superplan Mini, no RAID wanted

Andy
17-04-2009, 19:43
No, because the file system was corrupted by the OS (cause as of yet unknown). RAID1 in this instance fails, and is further proof as to how a RAID1 or any other RAID setup IS NOT A FORM OF BACKUP.

I had to bold that because its very important.

If you want to read more about this disaster, you can do so here:
http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/v...hp?f=55&t=7717
and
http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/v...hp?f=55&t=7736

He also goes on to explain how he'll prevent it in future.

fozl
17-04-2009, 18:47
Actually if the volume is corrupted I can see how that would get not-fun fast.

fozl
17-04-2009, 18:40
But if he'd had RAID1, he'd just have to rebuild it no?

Andy
17-04-2009, 17:09
I didn't mean to burst your bubble fozle! RAID is a strange thing, and with the trouble a mis-configuration can cause, I try to avoid it.

A friend recently lost 10TB of data from his disks when the OS corrupted them. He can only be thankful it wasn't RAID or he'd have no chance of recovering it. So far he's managed to recover 4TB of it...

fozl
17-04-2009, 17:06
I stand corrected.

Andy
17-04-2009, 12:56
Quote Originally Posted by fozle
Ovh do not offer support for this, but you're looking to use just a bunch of disks (JBOD), which as far as I'm aware requires hardware RAID configuration. SPs are software RAID.
Not so. Simply don't enable RAID in the RAID configuration and they can be used as separate disks. I use this setup myself at home.

fozl
17-04-2009, 12:47
Ovh do not offer support for this, but you're looking to use just a bunch of disks (JBOD), which as far as I'm aware requires hardware RAID configuration. SPs are software RAID.

Andy
16-04-2009, 23:37
It can be done through SSH on the software RAID based servers. No idea of the command though, I've just heard other people have done it.

Tz-OVH
16-04-2009, 23:32
I've done plenty of searches and most people want RAID0 from this server, its easy to do by just breaking the mirror if you read the other posts. What if the user just wants no RAID whatsoever...two singular HDDs...ideas?

The manager only lets you reload with the first partition as RAID1..no choice.