OVH Community, your new community space.

On what OVH server type can you run a Windows box on XEN ?

BiagioParuolo
06-09-2009, 23:00
Quote Originally Posted by ictdude
Works fine now

Question for you... What files do you need to backup
for a KVM to to a full restore later ? So server reinstall Proxmox then get your data backup from your ftp backup. Next restore. I did see were the big files of the VM are. But where are other settings like network hardware config of VM's Do you know ?
Other important files are undert /etc. Here there are config files.

PS: in OpenVZ you can run only Linux Guest...

Myatu
14-05-2009, 22:38
Perfect !!! All data save Its the best situation you can have. Only a good firewall in the DC .... Or a maybe this one mmh http://www.fridu.org/fulup-posts/40-...ation-firewall
The script from Fridu is what I am using. It uses iptables, but it does most of the trickery in the script so you can focus on the more important things (like simply telling it what you want . I think I've modified it beyond recognition though I'm using SNORT inline as well, hence (see http://www.snort.org)

ictdude
14-05-2009, 21:22
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Glad it works now

For backups, use the vzdump tool (works for both containers and KVMs). Just type...
Code:
# vzdump --help
...for a full list of options.

You can also use the "backup" feature from the Proxmox web admin. Just select the VMIDs you wish to backup. It's essentially a front-end for the vzdump tool.

Vzdump will create single files per container/KVM, which you can upload to the FTP backup server OVH provides (as I do). Should the worst happen - let's hope it won't - you re-install Proxmox first. Then download your backup file from the FTP server (or wherever you've stored it) and use the vzdump tool to restore the container/KVM. Then simply start the container, and everything is exactly the way you've left it
Perfect !!! All data save Its the best situation you can have. Only a good firewall in the DC .... Or a maybe this one mmh http://www.fridu.org/fulup-posts/40-...ation-firewall

Here how to backup restore and clone great
http://www.howtoforge.com/clone-back...ms-with-vzdump

Myatu
14-05-2009, 17:40
Works fine now

for a KVM to to a full restore later ? So server reinstall Proxmox then get your data backup from your ftp backup. Next restore. I did see were the big files of the VM are. But where are other settings like network hardware config of VM's Do you know ?
Glad it works now

For backups, use the vzdump tool (works for both containers and KVMs). Just type...
Code:
# vzdump --help
...for a full list of options.

You can also use the "backup" feature from the Proxmox web admin. Just select the VMIDs you wish to backup. It's essentially a front-end for the vzdump tool.

Vzdump will create single files per container/KVM, which you can upload to the FTP backup server OVH provides (as I do). Should the worst happen - let's hope it won't - you re-install Proxmox first. Then download your backup file from the FTP server (or wherever you've stored it) and use the vzdump tool to restore the container/KVM. Then simply start the container, and everything is exactly the way you've left it

ictdude
14-05-2009, 16:57
Did you have any luck yet, regarding this issue? I hope it has been resolved for you...
Works fine now

ictdude
14-05-2009, 16:52
Quote Originally Posted by Seedbox Paradis
Care to share???

Short trouble shoot looked like this

1. Check bios settings
2. Bios firware update or reflash.
3. Reinstall OS
4. Check status if Hardware VT is enabled.

put your server in mode rescue pro and run this
commande line: /usr/sbin/rdmsr 0x03a
Here you get a number OVH can tell if the VT is enabled or not.

Seedbox Paradis
13-05-2009, 13:16
Ovh did resolve the problem today It was not easy i guess. Now i know
what steps you have to do and how to trouble shoot. All respect go to Ovh and the support engineers. thnx Ovh for not giving me up
Care to share???

ictdude
13-05-2009, 11:26
Did you have any luck yet, regarding this issue? I hope it has been resolved for you...
Ovh did resolve the problem today It was not easy i guess. Now i know
what steps you have to do and how to trouble shoot. All respect go to Ovh and the support engineers. thnx Ovh for not giving me up

Myatu
12-05-2009, 18:31
OVH is still working on my bios Intel -VT problem .... hope it will be fixed soon.

ictdude
09-05-2009, 18:34
Well, you better! I just posted it here.
Yeah i did see it. You did a real good job respect !! And dont forget to put the information about Intel VT-x and AMD-V (SVM) must be enabled for KVM
Other wise people think it will work on all OVH servers OVH is still working on my bios Intel -VT problem .... hope it will be fixed soon.

Myatu
09-05-2009, 18:27
Hehe, /me feels so speshul now Thanks, and looking forward to it
Well, you better! I just posted it here.

ictdude
09-05-2009, 17:45

Its not that complicated. Here how to:

http://www.howtoforge.com/kvm-and-op...-proxmox-ve-p3

And dont forget:

You have 2 options:

Fully virtualized (KVM) Iso instalations like windows or full Linux iso.
OpenVZ (Templates within Proxmox)

Fully virtualized (KVM) only works If the CPU supports hardware virtualization (Intel VT or AMD-V) So my server has still problems with it

Also check this for network setup: http://help.ovh.co.uk/Proxmox

Seedbox Paradis
08-05-2009, 18:46
Hmm, maybe this will help a bit...

On Intel based CPUs, the "vmx" flag must be set (AMD it's "svm") and you can see that from Linux using
Code:
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
or simpler with
Code:
# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep vmx
For example, with the last command mine will show this:
Code:
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
Apparently, depending on the BIOS of course, these need to be set as following:
  • Security > Execute Disable (set to On)
  • Performance > Virtualization (set to On)
  • Performance > VT for Direct I/O Access (set to On)
  • Performance > Trusted Execution (set to Off)

A few people say that a full power down/up is required when changing these, or else they do not take effect - you can't simply change the BIOS settings and then warm reboot.

Perhaps this will help you or the tech

PS: I'll get a tutorial together for you, Seedbox...

ictdude
08-05-2009, 12:25

On Intel based CPUs, the "vmx" flag must be set (AMD it's "svm") and you can see that from Linux using
Code:
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
or simpler with
Code:
Code:
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm

A few people say that a full power down/up is required when changing these, or else they do not take effect - you can't simply change the BIOS settings and then warm reboot.

Thnx for the info. Problem on this board the vmx flag dont show up.
We talk about this Intel board:

http://www.intel.com/Products/Deskto...ldocuments.htm

Chipset: G31 Express Chipset

Myatu
08-05-2009, 10:42

Code:
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
or simpler with
Code:
Code:

ictdude
08-05-2009, 08:26
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
The incident ticket has been assigned and will be responded to, the ticket will have to be looked into though as this is unusual, but you will be updated via the ticket.
It has been already three days now. I understand this is an unusual case.
But i have until now no updates about ticket 122201. What is the status now ?

Is it software Bios related ? Hardware CPU or mainboard ? Did you try to clear the Cmos or flash the bios with newest firmware ? Load default bios config ?
Please keep me updated if possible.

ictdude
08-05-2009, 08:12
Well, I knew XEN and Windows worked on my SP BestOf. I've switched to Proxmox almost immediately thereafter though, because it makes better use of the resources.

For the heck of it, I just downloaded and installed the Windows 7 RC1 and installed it using Proxmox (Linux 2.6.24-2-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jan 14 11:32:49 CET 2009). It's a KVM of 1 GB RAM, 32 GB HD (IDE), the rtl8139 network device and Guest Type set to Win 2008. Less than 25 mins later I was on the desktop playing with the new bells and whistles (I like Win 7 ) ...

Now, my SP BestOf has the E6750 CPU though, but if anything, the E8300 you have is better (and faster ) so it shouldn't matter... Here's some screenies from Proxmox Console:

The CPU is better, but the Intel -VT on my server is disabled and if enabled dont work with XEN. Proxmox KVM also needs for Intel CPU VT enabled if not you cant install windows and cant install ISO I hope they fix it soon its already a few days, i did get this server because it has VT. Should have, so now i cant work with it..

Seedbox Paradis
08-05-2009, 07:09
Damn, someone should make a tutorial on how to install a guest OS under Proxmox, I tried and failed miserably

Myatu
08-05-2009, 01:13
Well, I knew XEN and Windows worked on my SP BestOf. I've switched to Proxmox almost immediately thereafter though, because it makes better use of the resources.

For the heck of it, I just downloaded and installed the Windows 7 RC1 and installed it using Proxmox (Linux 2.6.24-2-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jan 14 11:32:49 CET 2009). It's a KVM of 1 GB RAM, 32 GB HD (IDE), the rtl8139 network device and Guest Type set to Win 2008. Less than 25 mins later I was on the desktop playing with the new bells and whistles (I like Win 7 ) ...

Now, my SP BestOf has the E6750 CPU though, but if anything, the E8300 you have is better (and faster ) so it shouldn't matter... Here's some screenies from Proxmox Console:

ictdude
07-05-2009, 23:17
Quote Originally Posted by BiagioParuolo
Hi,

with VT support , you can run KVM machines with more performance. Now, without VT, you can install Win machines but with poor performance ( you see that there is a flag for enable/disable KVM in option tab ).
In OpenVZ, you are able to run Linux only.

I had the same problem with XEN but I haven't any solutions from OVH ( and with VT enabled and verified ).

Maybe XEN not stable or OVH XEN Kernel patched not good or 100% tested???

Bye
Mmh If i like to create a Vm then with Configuration\Type\ only Container (OpenVZ) can i see. Where is that option tab what menu ? So at least i can test with bad performance

BiagioParuolo
07-05-2009, 19:44
Hi,

with VT support , you can run KVM machines with more performance. Now, without VT, you can install Win machines but with poor performance ( you see that there is a flag for enable/disable KVM in option tab ).
In OpenVZ, you are able to run Linux only.

I had the same problem with XEN but I haven't any solutions from OVH ( and with VT enabled and verified ).

Maybe XEN not stable or OVH XEN Kernel patched not good or 100% tested???

Bye

ictdude
07-05-2009, 19:19
It should work fine with Proxmox there has been a problem enabling it on your server, I have updated the ticket with the new screenshot.
It looks that it was enabled, but did not work with XEN in this case . After the onsite-engineer of OVH change the bios setting, the whole Intel-VT did not work any more. So maybe he can put the setting back the way it was and see how Proxmox deal with it. Is that ok with you to test this ?

Neil
07-05-2009, 14:44
Hope you dont mind but i did reinstall with Proxmox. And as you can see VT is disabled. Hope support has some time to enable it. Okay i wait for response. If Xen has to be back for trouble shoot let me know.

It should work fine with Proxmox there has been a problem enabling it on your server, I have updated the ticket with the new screenshot.

ictdude
07-05-2009, 14:39
Okay thank you for the fast response. If it will still not work i will go for
Proxmox. People told me it also works fine on Ovh . And looks it has the best performance with virtualisation. Check this out: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...t_than_vmware/

So if VT is enabled again then Proxmox with the KVM looks the best option
Hope you dont mind but i did reinstall with Proxmox. And as you can see VT is disabled. Hope support has some time to enable it. Okay i wait for response. If Xen has to be back for trouble shoot let me know.

ictdude
07-05-2009, 13:10
The incident ticket has been assigned and will be responded to, the ticket will have to be looked into though as this is unusual, but you will be updated via the ticket.
Okay thank you for the fast response. If it will still not work i will go for
Proxmox. People told me it also works fine on Ovh . And looks it has the best performance with virtualisation. Check this out: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...t_than_vmware/

So if VT is enabled again then Proxmox with the KVM looks the best option

Neil
07-05-2009, 11:09

ictdude
07-05-2009, 10:30
I haven updated the ticket, but we are unaware with any problems with XEN (I see you are running our build of XEN which should have no problems with it).
Dear Neil,

In my Ovh incident ticket field i see no updates. What is the status of this
incident ? (ticket 122201) VT looks now still disabled. With in what time frame will they put the settings back ? VT enabled ? So at least i know when they continue.

Neil
06-05-2009, 16:53
I haven updated the ticket, but we are unaware with any problems with XEN (I see you are running our build of XEN which should have no problems with it).

ictdude
06-05-2009, 15:49
It supports it, but it needs to be enabled in the server, if you sends us an email or phone us, https://www.ovh.co.uk/customerspace/.../technical.xml then we will open a ticket to enable it.
After support did change bios settings, XEN Dont start any more with Windows.
Must i make a new ticket ? Settings did disabled all VT ?

Befor i could start it but with error first screenshot. Looks that VT is now totally gone disabled ? Are there people running XEN and Windows on a machine like i have ? Am i the only one facing this problem ?

Neil
06-05-2009, 09:10
My server:

Rack space: 23A01
Nummer: 77842
Systeem (OS): xen_64

------------------- CPU info ----------

# cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 23
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
stepping : 10
cpu MHz : 2999.956
cache size : 6144 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 1
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu de tsc msr pae cx8 apic sep mtrr cmov pat clflush acpi mmxc pni est ssse3 cx16 lahf_lm
bogomips : 6000.96
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor : 1
physical id : 1
flags : fpu de tsc msr pae cx8 apic sep mtrr cmov pat clflush acpi mmxc pni est ssse3 cx16 lahf_lm
power management:

--------- Motherboard ------------

# dmidecode |grep -A2 "Base Board Information"
Base Board Information
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Product Name: DG31PR

# lshw |more
nsxxxxxx.ovh.net

description: Desktop Computer
product: SP
vendor: OVH
version: A0059
serial: 2008-12-04
width: 32 bits
configuration: boot=normal chassis=desktop uuid=602E1D76-10C0-11DE-B24F-0013D4D9C9BF
*-core
description: Motherboard
product: DG31PR
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
version: AAD97573-304
serial: BTPR91100XUT
slot: To be filled by O.E.M.
*-firmware
description: BIOS
vendor: Intel Corp.
version: PRG3110H.86A.0059.2008.1024.1834 (10/24/2008)
size: 64KB
capacity: 960KB
capabilities: pci upgrade shadowing escd cdboot bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13flopp
y2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb ls120boot zipboot biosbootspecification

--- Xen settings ---

# xm dmesg | grep VMX
(XEN) HVM: VMX enabled

# grep -i hvm /sys/hypervisor/properties/capabilities
xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_32 hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64

------------ Note !! --------------

I dont see vmx at the flags ? Is VT enabled on this server ? Strange.

It supports it, but it needs to be enabled in the server, if you sends us an email or phone us, https://www.ovh.co.uk/customerspace/.../technical.xml then we will open a ticket to enable it.

ictdude
05-05-2009, 20:47
What is your server address so that I can check the CPU.
My server:

Rack space: 23A01
Nummer: 77842
Systeem (OS): xen_64

------------------- CPU info ----------

# cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0
physical id : 0
power management:

processor : 1
physical id : 1
power management:

--------- Motherboard ------------

# dmidecode |grep -A2 "Base Board Information"
Base Board Information
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Product Name: DG31PR

# lshw |more
nsxxxxxx.ovh.net

description: Desktop Computer
product: SP
vendor: OVH
version: A0059
serial: 2008-12-04
width: 32 bits
configuration: boot=normal chassis=desktop uuid=602E1D76-10C0-11DE-B24F-0013D4D9C9BF
*-core
description: Motherboard
product: DG31PR
vendor: Intel Corporation
version: AAD97573-304
serial: BTPR91100XUT
slot: To be filled by O.E.M.
*-firmware
description: BIOS
vendor: Intel Corp.
version: PRG3110H.86A.0059.2008.1024.1834 (10/24/2008)
size: 64KB
capacity: 960KB
capabilities: pci upgrade shadowing escd cdboot bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13flopp
y2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb ls120boot zipboot biosbootspecification

--- Xen settings ---

# xm dmesg | grep VMX
(XEN) HVM: VMX enabled

# grep -i hvm /sys/hypervisor/properties/capabilities
xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_32 hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64

------------ Note !! --------------

I dont see vmx at the flags ? Is VT enabled on this server ? Strange.

Neil
05-05-2009, 19:58
What is your server address so that I can check the CPU.

ictdude
05-05-2009, 19:02
Hi

We have no reported problems with XEN and Windows, you can see what servers support it now as it shows Virtualisation VT or SVM.

BiagioParuolo your question was answered on another OVH forum.

Neil
Looks that i have a problem. I use SuperPlan BestOF. I try to install Windows XP on this box with OVH XEN distribution. See screen shot for error.
Its something about the CPU missing futures ?

What can be the problem here ? Pleas help...

ictdude
21-04-2009, 22:18
Hi

We have no reported problems with XEN and Windows, you can see what servers support it now as it shows Virtualisation VT or SVM.

Neil
Thnx for the answer. I wil test it on a SPbestof. And will make a how to if all is ok.

Neil
21-04-2009, 12:10
Hi

Neil

BiagioParuolo
20-04-2009, 10:16
Thnx for reply, But do you have Xen running Windows working ? Some other people in German and Italian forum have some problems. Please let us know. So we can setup a how to for Xen on OVH with Windows.

Als if others have input. Please reply any info.
I'm, too.

ictdude
19-04-2009, 21:48
The "SP" series will work just fine for this (I use the SP BestOf) -- all the CPUs in that range have hardware VT.

Thnx for reply, But do you have Xen running Windows working ? Some other people in German and Italian forum have some problems. Please let us know. So we can setup a how to for Xen on OVH with Windows.

Als if others have input. Please reply any info.

Myatu
19-04-2009, 15:34
The "SP" series will work just fine for this (I use the SP BestOf) -- all the CPUs in that range have hardware VT.

ictdude
17-04-2009, 12:20
On what OVH server type can you run a Windows box on XEN ?

Somebody has a Windows box running on XEN OVH ?
Because special hardware like Intel VT-x and AMD-V (SVM) need
be enabled. Also the correct CPU see list:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HV...ble_Processors

Can somebody tell me what server will work 100 % for this case ?
I try to find an answer on the German forum but. Until now nobody can
confirm this for sure.