OVH Community, your new community space.

SLA Standard, Premium: website updated

custom
29-04-2009, 00:34
Ok let me be more clear about this in fact I will spec the things:

OVH SP offers were using Intel motherboards in OEM production,
specific motherboard type: Intel DG31PR
http://www.intel.com/Products/Deskto...R-overview.htm

We all know that this motherboard contains one integrated 1gbit network card which is:
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller

You can do two things unlock the network card to a 200mbit from the OVH infrastructure and to a 100mbit from the internet and to a 200mbit toward the internet,
or as a second option, you could unlock it to a 100mbit from the OVH infrastructure and to a 100mbit from the internet but of course you will set the 200mbit toward the internet.

You can set one day in the current month for this changes, you can ask your customers would they like that you do this thing, and your customers will decide are they willing to give you some offline time till you set the new option of 200mbit.

custom
28-04-2009, 23:49
One quick answer.

I didn't saw in my life that OVH directly said to their customers, things like: "we are using HP(or any other brand) servers motherboard model (???), hard drive models Hitachi, Seagate or any other???

In fact I'm sure that motherboards which were used for SP dedicated servers were also based on motherboards which have 1gbit integrated network cards which are locked to 100mbit trough bios.

Could you unlock it to a 1GBIT, than you can limit us trough your routers to a 100mbit down and 200mbit up.

It would be the greatest moves of all times toward your customers. In fact the next best movie would be to offer 1gbit toward internet for your 1gbit offers for some cool price. That is the thing you are missing from your offers.

I think that your SP customers would celebrate the day of 200mbit if you find the way to unlock the 100mbit barrier.

And what about adding the mini-pci cards or some similar 1gbit network cards in offer which are compatible with your servers, like if the customer is willing to pay or that he could buy the 1gbit network card, similar like on other ISP's. Like customers which are donating to OVH for switching the network cards.
I think that 50 pounds would be enough or even 100 ponds, I would pay that sum.

To explain, the customer wouldn't get 1gbit he would get 100mbit/200mbit because you could limit him on your routers, but the important thing would be that he could get the benefit of 200mbit and that would be like a dream.

Please could you think some way for your customers.

Tell us which were the motherboards and servers in SP offers give us opportunity that we explore the possibilities.

Personally I wouldn't mind that I bought the 1gbit card for you and that you could mount on my dedicated server which is in the SP class.

Andy
24-04-2009, 16:34
Quote Originally Posted by turbanator
image snip

i think the image says it all just to avoid any further confusion.
Or, just see the new regime I posted which clarifies 1 and 2 servers with:

1 server = 100Mbps on 100Mbps NIC servers, 200Mbps on 1Gbps NIC servers
2 servers = 100Mbps on 100Mbps NIC servers, 100Mbps on 1Gbps NIC servers

Makes more sense then. Its just little things that make customers angry, which is why they need to be put right ASAP!

turbanator
24-04-2009, 16:32

i think the image says it all just to avoid any further confusion.

freshwire
24-04-2009, 15:54
I still think someone who thinks 200Mbps on 100Mbps NIC must be MAD

Andy
24-04-2009, 10:17
Yes I do see it says that, but others may overlook it. Thank you!

marks
24-04-2009, 10:11
Remember that it says: "200 Mbps Premium SLA(on all infrastructure)"

but yes, I see your point. We'll have a look at it, let's see if we can make it clearer.

Thanks!

Andy
24-04-2009, 09:34
My point is it says "OVH to Internet: 200Mbps" even on a 100Mbps NIC server. This will confuse people who don't look and open their eyes. They'll see "ooh 200Mbps! I'll have that" then they will be disappointed when they don't get it. See my point? You'll get lots of complaints from people, even if its their fault for not looking, its still a bit misleading. All you have to do is add another column! It's not a hard solution!

marks
24-04-2009, 09:19
The new bandwidth for Pro server is 200Mbps per infrastructure. Check the following link for explanation of what an infrastructure is:

http://www.ovh.co.uk/items/framework...ing.xml?gm=pop

When it comes to the SP range, each server cannot perform more than 100Mbps. But the bandwidth says that the SLA is 200Mbps per infrastructure, not per server. To sum up:
-if you just have 1 SP server, you won't notice any difference compared to what it was before the bandwidth change. 1 server will have 100Mbps.
-if you have 2 SP server, each one will perform at 100Mbps, instead of 50Mbps each.

So for just 1 SP server, you won't notice much any improvement with the new bandwidth. For more than one, yes, you'll get more speed in each server.

cheers!

slayer2005
23-04-2009, 23:08
Most pro servers have gbit cards.
but still showing as mine 100mbit full duplex and i think itl stay that way

freshwire
23-04-2009, 22:02
I don't really think there is much confusion over that. Someone buying a server can see the 100mbps NIC here.

Andy
23-04-2009, 19:38
If its free, one server can utilise 200Mbps I believe, or two servers 100Mbps, or, one server 150Mbps and another 50Mbps, etc.

aantunes
23-04-2009, 19:35
it's limited like

1. each server can use only 66mbit, always

or

2. if bandwidth is free (none server using), it can be used up to 200mbit (80mbit one, 80mbit other, 40mbit other, for example?)

thanks.

Andy
23-04-2009, 19:00
Quote Originally Posted by aantunes
what about SP Mini with gigabit ethernet?
1 Server = You will get 200Mbps on that server
2 Servers = You will get 200Mbps between the two servers
3 Servers = You will get 200Mbps between the three

etc etc etc up to 10 servers, then it goes up according to the chart on the website.

aantunes
23-04-2009, 18:22
Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net
Andy a écrit:
>
> Apparently 200Mbps applies to upload only...

we don't limit any trafic Internet to Ovh. I can write 1Tbps or 100Mbps
it's the same: no limit. do you prefer I write 1Tbps ? I think you will
ask me how can I use 1Tbps with a dedicated server with a 100Mbps's NIC
what about SP Mini with gigabit ethernet?

Seedbox Paradis
23-04-2009, 12:20
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
We will see what we can do but the connection is still 100Mbps as shown on the website (In the connection column)., however you still have a 200Mbps OVH to Internet because if you had to SP Mini and an SP BestOF then they would share the 200Mbps Infrastructure.
I'm pretty sure you're wording that wrong, because you can't have 200Mbps OVH to Internet as you said. You can have a 200Mbps Infrastracture but they're two very different things (like Washington, USA and Washington DC, USA), very similar wording but two different meanings.

Or to put it in other terms, I could get 4 Gbit servers and say I have 4Gbps OVH to OVH, which I don't, that's the maximum combined connection speed but can't be used the same way as if I had a 4x1Gbps connection to one server

Andy
23-04-2009, 11:38
I understand, but if the connection is only 100Mbps, you can't have 200Mbps OVH > Internet, its not possible. It would make more sense to have another column stating the infrastructure maximum, then the servers capable speed

I'll be writing a new bandwidth regime document in the coming days too, to help people understand the changes. Will traffic/burstable series be staying on the UK site, or will they be removed like the French site too? Just need clarification before I write the document.

Neil
23-04-2009, 11:37
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Yeah I think you should change the website to say "infrastructure" on the ones that have 100Mbps NIC as its very confusing and could show potential problems with those ordering and wondering why they don't have 200Mbps upload.
We will see what we can do but the connection is still 100Mbps as shown on the website (In the connection column)., however you still have a 200Mbps OVH to Internet because if you had to SP Mini and an SP BestOF then they would share the 200Mbps Infrastructure.

Andy
23-04-2009, 09:37
Yeah I think you should change the website to say "infrastructure" on the ones that have 100Mbps NIC as its very confusing and could show potential problems with those ordering and wondering why they don't have 200Mbps upload.

Seedbox Paradis
23-04-2009, 06:56
Andy a écrit:
>

I'm pretty sure there was a misunderstanding here, from what I read Andy thought we'd actually get 200Mbps upload, its a bit hard to understand the stuff Google Translate throws up in our face

oles@ovh.net
22-04-2009, 22:46
Andy a écrit:
>

oles@ovh.net
22-04-2009, 22:46
Andy a écrit:
>
> oles@ovh.net;15083 Wrote:
>> Andy a écrit:
>> >
>> > When will our servers be updated with the new 100Mbps > 200Mbps speed
>> > change? It is for current customers as well as new isn't it?

>>
>> what do you mean ?

>
> People with PRO servers who have 100Mbps now, will they get 200Mbps
> like it now says on the website? Or is this for new customers only?

all PRO have now 200Mbps / infra. if your server has a NIC 100Mbps
you can get only 100Mbps. you have to order a second server to use
200Mbps or move to EG to get a 1Gbps NIC.

Andy
22-04-2009, 20:27
Apparently 200Mbps applies to upload only...

slayer2005
22-04-2009, 20:26
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
People with PRO servers who have 100Mbps now, will they get 200Mbps like it now says on the website? Or is this for new customers only?
Does that mean as in speed andy.
Like 25mb down

Andy
22-04-2009, 19:42
Andy a écrit:
>
> When will our servers be updated with the new 100Mbps > 200Mbps speed
> change? It is for current customers as well as new isn't it?

what do you mean ?
People with PRO servers who have 100Mbps now, will they get 200Mbps like it now says on the website? Or is this for new customers only?

oles@ovh.net
22-04-2009, 19:36
Andy a écrit:
>
> When will our servers be updated with the new 100Mbps > 200Mbps speed
> change? It is for current customers as well as new isn't it?

what do you mean ?

pete_w
22-04-2009, 19:07
Excellent

This statement concerns me though

With Kimsufi, OVH guarantees 100 Mbps (or more) per infrastructure. We call infrastructure a group of servers that:

->exchange data permanently or temporarily
Hopefully this is just badly worded and doesn't mean that if you download something from someone elses server on Ovh or maybe temporarily lend someone some space on your server so they can backup their ovh based server files on a one off basis etc. that you will end up sharing your bandwidth allocation with them

Andy
22-04-2009, 18:58
Um, didn't Oles post this in English anyway? :P

Andy
22-04-2009, 18:57
When will our servers be updated with the new 100Mbps > 200Mbps speed change? It is for current customers as well as new isn't it?

Seedbox Paradis
22-04-2009, 18:46
lol sorry for the previous post, half sleeping here, pouring over the books

oles@ovh.net
22-04-2009, 18:44
Hi There,
The website has beed updated with the new informations
about SLA Standard, SLA Premium.

It's the same for all customers in the Europe

http://www.ovh.de
http://www.ovh.pl
http://www.ovh.es