OVH Community, your new community space.

how to ftp with the ovh system

freshwire
11-05-2009, 03:22
You may want to install an FTP server on the RPS assuming the OS you chose doesn't have one installed by default.

The suggestion above to use SFTP isn't quite the same... you can use it if it works out well for you but generally FTP is faster.

Filezilla offer both a server and client.. however as the server I much prefer proftpd. Configuration of proftpd is significantly harder though.

xdcx
11-05-2009, 02:19
Quote Originally Posted by tjm21
Hi,

Use an FTP program on you home PC such as SmartFTP or Filezilla, input your server IP address, user name and password which were sent to you when you set up the RPS, make sure you are connecting by SFTP and using port 22

I use this method all the time without any issues

cheers
Thanks for the quick reply.

With this method I would need Filezilla server or client on my home PC? And I would not need Filezilla installed on the RPS?

Quote Originally Posted by slayer2005
Or if your using release 2 just login to webmin and use the file manager
In my RPS summary, under general is has the version as "1", is this what you are referring to regarding release 2?

***EDIT - Never mind guys, I took Tim's advice and I am now connected using FileZilla. I only forwarded port 21 in router and Windows Firewall when I tried this earlier this evening. Now with port 22 forwarded it is working great.

Thanks for the help

slayer2005
11-05-2009, 02:11
Or if your using release 2 just login to webmin and use the file manager

tjm21
11-05-2009, 02:04
Hi,

Use an FTP program on you home PC such as SmartFTP or Filezilla, input your server IP address, user name and password which were sent to you when you set up the RPS, make sure you are connecting by SFTP and using port 22

I use this method all the time without any issues

cheers

xdcx
11-05-2009, 01:45
Hi there, rather than starting a new thread I will use this one.

I today got my RPS set up and working.

It is running Ubuntu desktop 8.04. I am connecting to it using NX from my Windows Vista machine at home as recommended by OVH. This is working fine.

I have downloaded some files to the RPS which I would now like to have on my machine here at home. Which would be the best way of doing this? FTP client such as Filezilla?

I have tried using Places > Connect to Server.. and then setting the options here so I could connect to a shared folder on my Windows machine and copy the files to it. After I enter my password it says that it failed to mount the Windows share though

If this isn't the best way to go, should I be installing Filezilla CLIENT on the RPS and then Filezilla SERVER on my home machine and doing things this way?

Thanks for any help and apologies if these are dumb questions.

Neil
23-04-2009, 11:45
Hi,

I guess you are using the Release 2 Package then you do with the domain login details that are automatically created and emailed to you when you add a domain, this guide would also help http://help.ovh.co.uk/OvhmUserGuide#link3

SamehSpiky
23-04-2009, 09:01
i installed the 'Gentoo 2006.0' based system on my rps
now how can i upload my site files to the home/ovh?
should i logged with the ovh user or i can do it by the root

whats the ftp user for the default virtual site