OVH Community, your new community space.

RAID is super slow in writing to disc?

gueriLLaPunkMoB
22-08-2009, 12:09
For those using uTorrent 1.8.2+, change bt.transp_disposition to 5 (this uses only TCP and not uTP (UDP) to connect to peers. OVH doesn't like connecting to uTP peers.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
22-07-2009, 21:00
Do not forget to DISABLE WINDOWS WRITE and READ CACHE under uTorrent's disk cache settings. This is important for Windows.

If not, you will notice that the OS will allocate almost all of your RAM to the system cache and give you poor performance.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
18-07-2009, 08:31
Just a note- I have the EG Max, so... using my settings helps a great deal, under Windows.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
11-06-2009, 23:07
Just a followup:

If your hard drive fills up, you will get slow disk performance. I've noticed that when I had around 200GB left, I could not write no where near 20MB/sec+

I deleted a lot of stuff and now I keep around 600GB of free space so the hard drives can keep up. What happens when you start filling the hard drive, it has to write to the outside of platters, thus slowing down the hard drives.

The secret to make Windows run well is to enable the options I stated above, don't use more than 50% of capacity and defrag often, especially after downloading large packs/files. It's a pain in the ass, but that's what you need to do to keep Windows running smoothly.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
14-05-2009, 18:45
Any success yet?

tim2718281
01-05-2009, 23:08
Quote Originally Posted by ThaDodo
Why does it work fine on my budget kimsufi then?
Your Kimsufi has a slower network connection. (At least, Andy's sticky on bandwidth regime says they have 100mbps)

Speculating:

I guess what could be happening is the torrent program is not handling the situations where the network is receiving data faster than the disk can write it. Your server can receive data at 1gbps.

Presumably the torrent program builds up chunks of data into a temporary storage area and writes them out once they get to a certain size. Maybe what's happening is the temporary storage area is being filled up without any of the chunks reaching the size that triggers writing it.

Can you reduce the number of incoming connections your torrent program handles simultaneously? By the sound of the speeds you're getting, you may not need more than two to four.

Alternatively, the uTorrent features say you can limit the uTorrent bandwidth.

Andy
27-04-2009, 22:10
Thanks for the uTorrent advise on caching, I've been trying to find some decent settings. Lets see if these make much difference.

freshwire
27-04-2009, 22:08
The major problem I have with WINE is the uglyness

gueriLLaPunkMoB
27-04-2009, 21:56
I had the same problem. You need to go to Device Manager -> Hard Disk -> Properties -> Policies -> Check both Enable write caching to the disk and enable Advance Performance. Reboot.

Go to uTorrent set cache to 1224MB and check 'disable windows caching of disk writes and check 'disable windows caching of disk reads'

Hope that helps.

ThaDodo
25-04-2009, 22:06
My kimsufi also have a gbit connection and also manage to download with 80mb a second but if their cache is full they just write is to disk... This ovh server doesnt and just kills itsself...

Deluge does it a bit better, now its downloading 8-10mb a second and writing directly i think? But its not going faster while it could go faster when i was using uTorrent... This server is 2x the price of a kimsufi and it cant even write in a normal speed...

slayer2005
25-04-2009, 20:06
the disks just cant handel the speed m8.
i myself 1st had problems when i was a win user on gbit ovh boxes.
with ubuntu desktop utorrent plus wine u can happily down at 60+mb with no issues.
But yhea try deluge as this works better on win with gbit server.

ThaDodo
25-04-2009, 18:48
Quote Originally Posted by slayer2005
utorrent on a windows gbit box dosent work.
either switch to linux like ubuntu desktop and it works fine or use deluge as this works much better then utorrent but still not perfect.

ThaDodo
25-04-2009, 18:47
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Try letting Windows handle disk caching and see if that helps? Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. You'll have to experiment.
It goes a bit better but still up to 10mb a second and nothing more and when i put caching off it will still fill the cache and slow down the download speed massive.

Any other torrent programs i should try?
I tried Azerues/ABC/BitComet but all crashed or didnt download at a normal speed...

slayer2005
25-04-2009, 17:56
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8591/utog.jpg

These are my settings and it just fillls up the cache and starts writing, if you click DISK Statistics you will see:

To Cache: 16kb 1250/s
To File: 986kb 2-3/s (sometimes it will go to 6!)

But when i download with like 5mb a second it will go fine but as soon as it goes higher like 20mb or 25mb a second it will fill the cache and freeze... While my kimsufi server just fill s the cache and writes like a maniac...
utorrent on a windows gbit box dosent work.
either switch to linux like ubuntu desktop and it works fine or use deluge as this works much better then utorrent but still not perfect.

Andy
25-04-2009, 15:59
Try letting Windows handle disk caching and see if that helps? Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. You'll have to experiment.

ThaDodo
25-04-2009, 15:58
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8591/utog.jpg

These are my settings and it just fillls up the cache and starts writing, if you click DISK Statistics you will see:

To Cache: 16kb 1250/s
To File: 986kb 2-3/s (sometimes it will go to 6!)

But when i download with like 5mb a second it will go fine but as soon as it goes higher like 20mb or 25mb a second it will fill the cache and freeze... While my kimsufi server just fill s the cache and writes like a maniac...

wackomoo
25-04-2009, 15:31
First tip: Increase the cache size. 1024MB should do, since you have the RAM, and it only uses the cache when you're downloading. Google uTorrent cache settings guides for more help.

Andy
25-04-2009, 14:58
Try telling uTorrent to write finished parts to the disk immediately rather than filling the cache up. What you're doing is thrashing the disk, which can easily cause slow transfer issues. Cache is there to aid the disk, not to fill up then give it all to the disk. If you're getting 800MB copied in 30-40 seconds, it proves there is nothing wrong with the disks or the RAID setup. uTorrent isn't that efficient at disk writing anyway from my experience, so don't rely on it.

ThaDodo
25-04-2009, 13:49
Hi all,

I have a brand new EG Best Of dedicated server + windows server 2003:
http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/eg_best_of.xml

And when im downloading stuff i need using uTorrent or any other program it will try to download the full program in the memory/cache and this goes ok till 1gb is reached and then it freezes up and starts writing it to the disk with a stunning 1mb up to 2mb a second...

Its using RAID 1 but that should be this slow right? When i copy things that are already on the disc -> duplicate this will take 30-40 seconds for 800mb so thats ok i think?

What can be wrong? Is the raid broken? harddisk failure?