OVH Community, your new community space.

A question about the nature if the bandwith...

Andy
25-04-2009, 15:08
You might want to take a look at the bandwidth regime topic in general discussion, it might help answer any other questions too.

NickW
25-04-2009, 15:07
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Download and upload are separate. You could use 200Mbps upload while using 100Mbps download at the same time. Each server gets 100Mbps download un-metered, since it costs OVH virtually nothing for the download bandwidth. Upload bandwidth costs a lot more.

If you have 4 servers, you'd get 50Mbps guaranteed upload, but you'd still get 100Mbps download on each server.

Remember you can only get 200Mbps upload on a single server if it has a 1Gbps NIC, otherwise its 100Mbps maximum.
Ok, thanks. I thought it would be as such due to they way it was advertised, but I thought I'd better make sure .

Andy
25-04-2009, 15:01
Download and upload are separate. You could use 200Mbps upload while using 100Mbps download at the same time. Each server gets 100Mbps download un-metered, since it costs OVH virtually nothing for the download bandwidth. Upload bandwidth costs a lot more.

If you have 4 servers, you'd get 50Mbps guaranteed upload, but you'd still get 100Mbps download on each server.

Remember you can only get 200Mbps upload on a single server if it has a 1Gbps NIC, otherwise its 100Mbps maximum.

NickW
25-04-2009, 14:44
Is the bandwidth counted as upload and download separately or as upload and download added together.

For example let's say I had 4 servers. That means 50Mbps bandwidth per server. If I approximate this to 15TB of data per month does this mean I can transfer 15TB of data per server in both the up and down directions meaning 30TB total data transferred for the month or is it 15TB in total for both uploaded and downloaded data added together? If the second situation was true then I could transfer and combination of data adding up to 15TB, so 7.5TB both uploaded and downloaded in one month or is it 2TB downloaded and 13TB uploaded.

Basically, is the 200Mbps infrastructure 200Mbps in both the upload and download directions or only a combination of the two such as 50Mbps down and 150Mbps up (but of course burstable)?