OVH Community, your new community space.

I been lookin around at other hosters...

Ashley
13-05-2009, 14:31
Quote Originally Posted by Palad1n
It also depends what you use it for.

I have several VPS (XEN, OpenVZ, Virtuozzo, Hyper-V) which customers use for just 1 or 2 sites, they cannot afford a Dedicated server or have small HDD requirements etc.

I use VPS's for DNS & Mail servers dedicated / hardened build's etc.

My OVH Servers run a Main CPANEL/WHM Shared Hosting Platform and a Play server.

Also I have been testing Livedrive.com since BETA and it has now gone live (£90 year) for unlimited on-line storage, I have been backing up my servers to it via FTP.
Worth a look.
I do nightly backups of my database that I then download at work to an external drive.

When it comes to files I download newer and updated files only.

Palad1n
09-05-2009, 17:41
It also depends what you use it for.

I have several VPS (XEN, OpenVZ, Virtuozzo, Hyper-V) which customers use for just 1 or 2 sites, they cannot afford a Dedicated server or have small HDD requirements etc.

I use VPS's for DNS & Mail servers dedicated / hardened build's etc.

My OVH Servers run a Main CPANEL/WHM Shared Hosting Platform and a Play server.

Also I have been testing Livedrive.com since BETA and it has now gone live (£90 year) for unlimited on-line storage, I have been backing up my servers to it via FTP.
Worth a look.

Ashley
09-05-2009, 03:19
Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
1. OVH do not sell to many countries
2. OVH has poor reliability / support (in my experience! - it is getting better though)
3. French Law - HADOPI, etc
4. OVH does not provide the ability to fully customise servers
5. OVH has limited payment methods (no PayPal)
6. OVH does not offer credit agreements (that I know of)
7. OVH has set up fees
8. OVH has no burstable gigabit outbound for entry level servers
9. OVH does like to 'mess' with the traffic / default software more than other hosts
10. Ignorance

To me, value for money is only one factor in choosing a host, but I agree that a lot of hosts do not offer anything more than OVH.
I think the word, unmanaged sums up most of your points.

Neil
01-05-2009, 12:15
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
It's because OVH have got super powers
Our cover has been blown...

freshwire
01-05-2009, 00:53
It's because OVH have got super powers

zigzag
30-04-2009, 21:35
It's also about SEO, OVH is competing with about a billion other companies...
I got to about page 999 in google search results looking for a new host and I think I can confirm that in terms of what you get for your money OVH is about the best

Seedbox Paradis
30-04-2009, 18:53
Quote Originally Posted by hashbangbinbash
WinServer2009.... do you mean 2008?
yea lol

unclebob
30-04-2009, 18:50
1. OVH do not sell to many countries
2. OVH has poor reliability / support (in my experience! - it is getting better though)
3. French Law - HADOPI, etc
4. OVH does not provide the ability to fully customise servers
5. OVH has limited payment methods (no PayPal)
6. OVH does not offer credit agreements (that I know of)
7. OVH has set up fees
8. OVH has no burstable gigabit outbound for entry level servers
9. OVH does like to 'mess' with the traffic / default software more than other hosts
10. Ignorance

To me, value for money is only one factor in choosing a host, but I agree that a lot of hosts do not offer anything more than OVH.

Ashley
30-04-2009, 18:32
Not everyone has their own datacenters so they are having to pay people to look after their servers and in the end have more bills to pay. For example Pound Host is one company I was with before I came to OVH, they pay bluesquare datacenter to look after their servers and bandwith. OVH own their own data center their own UPS, bandwith etc.

SEO is search engine optimisation, the reason why not everyone is with OVH.

hashbangbinbash
30-04-2009, 18:21
So if there's a billion other companies all fighting for number 1 Cheap Dedicated Server provider... how come all the others are so far behind? You'd laugh at what even the likes of leasweb or 1+1 are charging compared to what you get from ovh. Doesn't look like other companies are trying very hard, managed or not. Why is this, what is SEO?

Ashley
30-04-2009, 18:17
it's not just about pricing and being unmanaged and managed.

It's also about SEO, OVH is competing with about a billion other companies who are all fighting for the number 1 spot for "Cheap dedicated servers".

hashbangbinbash
30-04-2009, 16:23
WinServer2009.... do you mean 2008?

Seedbox Paradis
30-04-2009, 15:02
Quote Originally Posted by hashbangbinbash
Just dedicated servers, what other companies are offering are so far behind what ovh does in terms of specs and price, (looking at the cheapest linux servers on offer by a number of companies compared to the ovh equivalent/nearest equivalent) I don't understand why everyone isn't with ovh

Is there someting I'm, missing that other companies do and ovh don't? The only thing I could see was one company offering hardware firewall (at a whopping extra cost), eveything else was software you can sort for youself if you have the root access.

Is it maybe not everyone know how much you can get server for these days? The bandwidth on the other sites didn't look like an improvement, but I'm shaky with bandwidth for people running stream servers or something so may not recognize important diffs.
My thoughts exactly I don't think people realize the prices they can get and they fear having an unmanaged server. Personally I don't think anyone really uses the "management" those server companies offer and they charge over $200 for their cheapest server (at least that's what I've seen). OVH is great, true sometimes they're slow with some updates/features but no one's perfect, and its always worth the wait (hint: WinServer2009 )

hashbangbinbash
30-04-2009, 13:53
Just dedicated servers, what other companies are offering are so far behind what ovh does in terms of specs and price, (looking at the cheapest linux servers on offer by a number of companies compared to the ovh equivalent/nearest equivalent) I don't understand why everyone isn't with ovh

Is there someting I'm, missing that other companies do and ovh don't? The only thing I could see was one company offering hardware firewall (at a whopping extra cost), eveything else was software you can sort for youself if you have the root access.

Is it maybe not everyone know how much you can get server for these days? The bandwidth on the other sites didn't look like an improvement, but I'm shaky with bandwidth for people running stream servers or something so may not recognize important diffs.