OVH Community, your new community space.

.co.uk domain

Andy
04-05-2009, 17:05
So you want it directly linked.

In the DNS zone records you will have to add the www and . records to point to the IP of the server the site is hosted on, then add the domain to be associated with the site on the server that runs it. For example it might run cPanel so you'd have to add the domain in there to be associated with the site. It all depends how the site is run at the other end as to how you do it. You'll have to refer to the instructions on there.

matthewgiblin
04-05-2009, 17:00
hi

i basically want to it to be showin the URL when typed...and also make it come up on the status bar when on the site, if thats possible

Andy
04-05-2009, 15:38
Do you want it directly linked in or just to basically redirect to it? Two very different methods with very different results.

Linked in will result in the URL being shown as www.site.com/folder/file.ext where as a redirect would result in the URL being shown as www.originaladdress.com/folder/file.ext or www.site.com (where in the 2nd case its "cloaked").

matthewgiblin
04-05-2009, 15:32
hey guys i have created one, and i have a forum somewhere else. so basically i want my domain name to direct me to that forum.

how can i go about doing this, am a newbie so sorry

Andy
03-05-2009, 22:08
No problem!

matthewgiblin
03-05-2009, 22:05
ah thats lovely
thanks for your time by the way, very helpful :P

Andy
03-05-2009, 22:03
Usually SMS verification is enough. You'll get an e-mail once everything is completed and you can keep an eye out in the Manager as well.

Yes, you have full DNS control once its been registered. You can change the zone records or use a redirect, whichever you prefer.

matthewgiblin
03-05-2009, 22:02
hi thanks for your reply

i have received a verification code via sms. will any more stuff come thru like letters even if i have done the sms verification.

also, if i have a forum somewhere else, will i be able to use the domain to redirect to it.

thanks once again
kind regards

Andy
03-05-2009, 21:54
Before I start, this answer is probably the best you'll get to a 'staff' answer until Tuesday, due to the bank holiday.

The .co.uk domains are free for ONE year, after this first year you pay for the 2nd year at the standard rate (about £3.00 including VAT). If you do not pay for the 2nd year, the domain will go inactive for you, but will still "owned" by OVH. As you are aware all .co.uk domains are always registered for 2 years, you can't choose 1 year registration.

If its a critical domain you can't lose, its best to pay for that 2nd year when it comes around or it will be useless to anyone for a year before its released back to the public for purchase.

You will be asked the usual things, Name, Address, Phone Number, and you may be sent a letter in the post or require SMS authentication to verify you live in the UK (SMS works by sending you a code you enter on the website which must be to a UK registered SIM/number).

Nothing more to it. You can have your domain up and running within 24 hours in most cases.

matthewgiblin
03-05-2009, 21:41
Hi by far i love your service. but i have not signed up yet.

I am interested in a .co.uk domain and I have a few questions. I understand that its free for two years. So imagine I wanted to cancel it before 2 years would I be charged?

Also, what stuff is needed to confirm the owner of the domain - in other words what paper work is needed by you from the person who sign's up the domain? Will any letters come through the post etc

Please if a staff could answer these queries for me I'd be more than happy!