OVH Community, your new community space.

Need plan recommendations

Andy
21-05-2009, 13:49
Thats what I meant, upload to the internet. I realise its 1Gbps internally and downloading from the internet.

marks
21-05-2009, 13:32
Bear in mind that you can't get 1Gbps upload on any plan other than Unmetered, and it costs a hell of a lot. Maximum 200Mbps otherwise.
That's not correct: if the server's bandwidth says you have 1Gbps "Internet to OVH" and "OVH to OVH" and the switch connected to the server supports 1Gbps (basically EGs, MGs and HGs), then you'll get that 1Gbps guaranteed for any bandwidth series, not just Unmetered.

The bottleneck is always at the "OVH to Internet", which is limited to 200Mbps.

Andy
21-05-2009, 12:27
tim2718281,

Bear in mind that you can't get 1Gbps upload on any plan other than Unmetered, and it costs a hell of a lot. Maximum 200Mbps otherwise.

tim2718281
21-05-2009, 12:17
Quote Originally Posted by kohkindachi
Hey instead of getting 2 X SP mini premium, is it the same as getting 1 X EG Max premium. Is it the same? Coz i find buying 2 server for 1 site is abit troublesome to manage So, it's the same right?
When I suggested multiple servers, it was because I misunderstood the bandwidth plans.

I thought you only get guaranteed bandwidth on the Traffic, Burstable,and Unmetered plans.

But yes I think a single server with 1gbps port could well meet your requirements.

Bear in mind there will be only two disks, which will limit sustained transfer speeds to say 400mbps rather than 1gbps. But that should be adequate.

derchris
21-05-2009, 01:02
But that is not HA, that is Load Balancing.

Andy
21-05-2009, 00:14
Why not? The site might be a very popular file download site, you don't know that. If it were then there wouldn't have to be any centralised storage. You mirror the content on both and randomly send people to each server.

Of course it would be different if it weren't such a service but thats an example.

derchris
20-05-2009, 23:57
There is no need for HA for a static site.
And I was not talking about websites alone.
Any kind of service.

Andy
20-05-2009, 23:35
derchris,

Thats not true unless you have dynamic sites. Static would work perfectly fine with non-centralised storage.

derchris
20-05-2009, 18:23
For HA you need to have shared storage, which would be a little bit tricky within a hosting environment.
Without these, trying to run a HA setup is pointless.

Myatu
20-05-2009, 15:48
Hey instead of getting 2 X SP mini premium, is it the same as getting 1 X EG Max premium. Is it the same? Coz i find buying 2 server for 1 site is abit troublesome to manage So, it's the same right?

Or 1 X SP Max premium. Anyway can u recommend other packages for my needs so that I only need to purchase 1 server. Thanks alot.
Well, going the route of two servers isn't a bad idea at all - especially since you already have built up a decent amount of traffic to whatever it is you're hosting You can balance the traffic between the two, and should one server go down for whatever reason, your other server would keep things flowing to your visitors.

As for management, it really isn't that difficult - there are many ways to "automagically" mirror two servers. The initial setup may be a bit more work, but afterwards you do your things as usual - the trickery will happen in the background. Do a search on "HA" or "High Availability" for example.

kohkindachi
20-05-2009, 01:33

Or 1 X SP Max premium. Anyway can u recommend other packages for my needs so that I only need to purchase 1 server. Thanks alot.

Andy
18-05-2009, 18:07
Quote Originally Posted by iand
if you are going to use cpanel on your servers http://platinumservermanagement.com/ are the guys to use they have a very good reputation for management. just make sure content on your server is legal in france /uk and you should be fine with a third party company like psm
That management company sounds familiar, I heard about them in the days of my hosting at LayeredTech and they're supposed to be excellent.

iand
18-05-2009, 18:06
if you are going to use cpanel on your servers http://platinumservermanagement.com/ are the guys to use they have a very good reputation for management. just make sure content on your server is legal in france /uk and you should be fine with a third party company like psm

Andy
17-05-2009, 15:48
Quote Originally Posted by tim2718281
Thank you for that!

And I had thought I'd thoroughly read and undersood OVH bandwidth rules ... :-)
Its probably my fault actually, the bandwidth guide contradicts what I'm saying since it was recently changed and I missed removing that part.

tim2718281
17-05-2009, 15:47
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
No, it is guaranteed over all series of bandwidth, but with standard you only get 200Mbps guaranteed under "normal" priority and this is between all of your servers.
Thank you for that!

And I had thought I'd thoroughly read and undersood OVH bandwidth rules ... :-)

Andy
17-05-2009, 15:24
No, it is guaranteed over all series of bandwidth, but with standard you only get 200Mbps guaranteed under "normal" priority and this is between all of your servers.

With traffic, burstable and unmetered, each server gets its own allocation which does not count towards the "clients infrastructure bandwidth" which is 200Mbps on ovh.co.uk servers (and 100Mbps on Kimsufi servers).

Unmetered is high priority guaranteed bandwidth which is why you pay so much for it.

tim2718281
17-05-2009, 14:57
Traffic series is only useful when you're going to exceed the 200Mbps guaranteed bandwidth provided per client. That way you can have more than 200Mbps but you pay for the traffic you use instead. You need to look at how the plans work.
I thought the bandwidth on Standard was not guaranteed over transit links, whereas with Traffic, Burstable, and Unmetered, it is.

Maybe I have misunderstood ...

Andy
17-05-2009, 13:13
I'm afraid I don't know of any, you would have to wait for someone else to tell you one or have a look on Google for such companies. You won't find a "cheap" server management company if you want this doing properly unfortunately.

kohkindachi
17-05-2009, 13:11
Mind PM-ing me any recommended resellers that offer setup? Or any not-so-expensove server management company.

Andy
17-05-2009, 13:07
You would have to get some form of server management from a server management company but they can be costly, but if you can afford it then thats your best option. The other option would be to learn yourself, but that can take a long time. It took me years to get to the knowledge level I am at.

You could probably get the server management company to setup cpanel on the servers and load balance them using the OVH IP load balance setup. They'll probably be able to figure out how to make it work for you.

kohkindachi
17-05-2009, 13:03
I mean I've been using shared host for the past few years. Recently bought a VPS which was setup for me by the site owner, hence everything was easy just like using normal cpanel. And I've check the stats in the cpanel that it uses around 1000GB daily.

I'm running a stream and download site.
I seriously need a new server, any advice on how i can get help on setting it up?

Andy
17-05-2009, 12:57
In which case you will get stuck. The servers come like a new computer. No software installed, nada. You have to set up HTTP, FTP, MySQL, Mail, DNS, etc, all yourself including configuration. I suggest you don't buy them if you have no idea what you're doing or you're going to waste your money.

I can't see how you got away with 1TB/day on a shared host either... Are you sure it was 1TB? That seems awfully high for any host really. What sort of site do you run?

kohkindachi
17-05-2009, 12:53
Yes I'm not good with all these as I've been using shared host all these while and this is the first time I'm purchasing a VPS/dedicated

Andy
17-05-2009, 12:52
Yes I'd recommend two of them on the 200Mbps guaranteed per client bandwidth.

OVH won't do anything but set the servers up so you have access via SSH or remote desktop, configuration is up to you. If you don't know what to do then you're going to get stuck very quickly as it sounds like your knowledge of using servers isn't very good...

kohkindachi
17-05-2009, 12:49
Andy so you would recommend 2 times SP mini premium series? If i order 2 of these, do i have to give special instruction to them? what should i tell them?

Andy
17-05-2009, 12:00
So would two SP servers on 200Mbps guaranteed bandwidth per client. No need to get double the amount of servers than necessary... He needs almost 100Mbps constant, one server would struggle to offer that, so get two.

Why get 4 servers capable of 10TB on traffic series when a single one is capable of 34TB on standard series? He might have 400Mbps to play with but he only has 40TB bandwidth. On two servers he has 200Mbps but 68TB bandwidth.

Traffic series is only useful when you're going to exceed the 200Mbps guaranteed bandwidth provided per client. That way you can have more than 200Mbps but you pay for the traffic you use instead. You need to look at how the plans work.

tim2718281
17-05-2009, 11:51
Depending on your business situation, normal might be fine, but if its 100% mission critical that the services work guaranteed, then unmetered is there for you. The cost is great, but so is the difference in the guarantee.
I thought four servers on Traffic would also guarantee the bandwidth, up to 10TB per month per server for SP servers.

Andy
17-05-2009, 10:52
It depends how fast they were downloading. If they all have 256Kbps lines, then no it wouldn't slow down. But if they all had 8Mbps lines, it would slow down and they'd all only get about 1Mbps in "ideal" conditions.

RPS wouldn't be ideal, it uses iSCSI which means its ethernet connection is shared for both internet and hard drive uses. This means you'll have a greatly reduced speed to the internet when doing a lot of I/O work.

You'd be better off with an SP server as its resources are all fully dedicated.

Premium is "normal priority" guranteed bandwidth where as unmetered is "highest priority" guaranteed bandwidth.

Depending on your business situation, normal might be fine, but if its 100% mission critical that the services work guaranteed, then unmetered is there for you. The cost is great, but so is the difference in the guarantee.

With 1TB/day being passed through the server, you're likely going to need 2xSP servers in tandem to keep up with the demand.

kohkindachi
17-05-2009, 03:34
I'm looking at 100mbps plans too. But just want to ask if 100 people are downloading at the same time, would the speed be reduced greatly?

And sorry I'm not good with all these technical terms like premium SLA etc. All series under SP mine seems the same to me lol. What's the difference between premium and unmetered series? Don't SP mini premium allow unmetered too?

Im intending to get either RPS III or SP mini premium, is it ok for my requirement?

marks
12-05-2009, 12:00
Hey guys, my site uses about 1000GB + Bandwidth per day. I'm planning on taking either the EG or SP plan, but what sub plan would work well for me? Do i need unlimited?
1TB per days is 92Mbps, so it should be fine with a server with 100Mbps: SP can deliver this

I don't know how have you work out that load, but 92Mbps as average means that sometimes you'll have higher and sometimes lower usage, and therefore it would be recommendable to go for an EG with 200Mbps at least. Unmettered series would be worth looking at.

Cheers

Andy
12-05-2009, 11:06
2x100Mbps SLA Premium Mini SP servers will do the job just fine. You don't need traffic series when you have 200Mbps SLA Premium on your infrastructure. You'd be pushing a single server to its limit so two servers would probably do better. Use IP load balancing and bobs your uncle. You save 1/2 the cost of the recommendation above too...

Ashley
12-05-2009, 10:36
Quote Originally Posted by tim2718281
Get four SP Mini servers on the Traffic plan giving 10,000GB each?

Total price 200 a month plus tax.

To balance the traffic, have server side scripting to modify the large-download URLs in web pages to point to one of the four servers at random.
Or just use IP load balancing in the OVH manager.

tim2718281
11-05-2009, 22:57
Hey guys, my site uses about 1000GB + Bandwidth per day. I'm planning on taking either the EG or SP plan, but what sub plan would work well for me? Do i need unlimited?
Get four SP Mini servers on the Traffic plan giving 10,000GB each?

Total price 200 a month plus tax.

To balance the traffic, have server side scripting to modify the large-download URLs in web pages to point to one of the four servers at random.

Palad1n
09-05-2009, 16:25
Hi,
What service do you offer that uses 1TB day?

Have you looked into Co-Location and Tier1 Bandwidth providers?

Myatu
09-05-2009, 15:18
Yeah, you would be wise to choose the "Unmetered Plan" on one of the EG's. EG has 100, 200 or 300 Mbps unmetered plans (SP only goes up to 100 Mbps for the Unmetered Plan, which would be right at your limits - you should allow for extra, obviously).

Andy
09-05-2009, 13:25
At 1000GB/day thats almost 100Mbps continuously, so you will need unlimited bandwidth. That means taking the Standard or Unmetered plan. Standard offers up to 200Mbps bandwidth depending on the NIC speed installed on the server (100Mbps NIC = 100Mbps max, 1Gbps NIC = 200Mbps max).

kohkindachi
09-05-2009, 13:04