OVH Community, your new community space.

Larger USB Hard Disks

Andy
05-06-2009, 10:05
No, its for a Large++ from the Dec 2007 range. No price can beat it in terms of the spec. Bare in mind I also have Windows for free on this server, it would cost if I were to upgrade.

tim2718281
05-06-2009, 08:57
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Thanks Marks. I look forward to hearing any news. I have just 240GB between my main drive and USB drive (120GB on each oddly enough) remaining, so I will need extra space soon. My server already costs £57.49/month so adding a new disk is going to get costly.
Is that for a Kimsufi 2XL, dual-core 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB disk + 500USB disk?

If so, an SP Mini would be the same price with 2x500GB internal disk ... or for the price of another USB disk, an SP Bestof instead would give you 2x750GB of disk space and 4GB of RAM.

I guess the advantage of the USB disk is you can just add it, without migrating servers.

Andy
03-06-2009, 00:21
Probably not, the performance would just suffer if they all thrashed it at once.

elvis1
03-06-2009, 00:18
I understand and your example is really helpful, but: would it be beserk to provide a torrentflux for 4 users in a 2XL with a limited number of torrents to be active?
thanks in advance

Andy
02-06-2009, 22:06
Depends on how much I/O they all do. I've had one file downloading/uploading on a torrent cripple an internal SATA drive before. You can't tell until you try.

elvis1
02-06-2009, 22:05
Thank you very much again Andy! 4 users using a USB hdd for torrenting should be enough in order not to cripple it, right?

Andy
02-06-2009, 20:51
Quote Originally Posted by elvis1
noob question here. in which circumstances should I see linear and in which no linear? how much can each processes consume of the hdd´s I/O?
Linear = Single file transfers generally, since its only performing one I/O operation.

Non-Linear (Random) = Multiple file transfers. Depending on how many, how large the file is and other variables, depends on how fast the disk read/write I/O will go.

elvis1
02-06-2009, 20:43
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
Assuming that the file is read/written linearly ^
noob question here. in which circumstances should I see linear and in which no linear? how much can each processes consume of the hdd´s I/O?

Andy
02-06-2009, 16:13
Of course

freshwire
02-06-2009, 16:12
Assuming that the file is read/written linearly ^

Andy
02-06-2009, 15:46
35MB/s is ~350Mbps, so there is no way it wouldn't be fast enough for a 100Mbps connection.

Myatu
02-06-2009, 15:46
Why'd you want to replicate the same file 3x on the same server? Maybe there's a better way of doing that...

elvis1
02-06-2009, 15:41
and I you wanted to replicate 3 files ( in the same server) at the same time, do you think the hdd might hog?
the fact is that a friend of mine wants to set up a seedbox ( legal files only) and some others want to participate, but is afraid a kimsufi 2xl with usb drives wont be enough.

many thanks

Andy
02-06-2009, 11:52
Quote Originally Posted by elvis1
sorry to thread hijack Andy, but : would you please tell me the USB drives speed please? is there any benchmark to see the how the hdds behave in I/O?
I manage 35MB/s or so, which isn't far off the maximum for USB2.0, so its performing just as expected.

dzimi83
02-06-2009, 08:35
Quote Originally Posted by Ashley
In regards to the adding more hard drives and making more work, think about setting up a virtual partition across multiple disks using some third party software, this will let you increase the size of the partition on the fly when you add more USB's.
for example: LVM/LVM2. Works great.

elvis1
02-06-2009, 06:26
sorry to thread hijack Andy, but : would you please tell me the USB drives speed please? is there any benchmark to see the how the hdds behave in I/O?

Andy
12-05-2009, 11:03
Thanks Marks. I look forward to hearing any news. I have just 240GB between my main drive and USB drive (120GB on each oddly enough) remaining, so I will need extra space soon. My server already costs £57.49/month so adding a new disk is going to get costly.

Also I'd like to ask you are able to remove current USB disks as well should you not want them anymore. The disks are fully reusable after a low level format has been done on them so another customer can use it. It also makes it possible to then upgrade to a bigger USB drive and remove the older technology. Afterall, I've already paid the cost that disk really costs after having it 5 months so its not like you're losing out by not using that drive anymore

Ashley
12-05-2009, 10:33
In regards to the adding more hard drives and making more work, think about setting up a virtual partition across multiple disks using some third party software, this will let you increase the size of the partition on the fly when you add more USB's.

marks
12-05-2009, 10:13
hey, Andy.

That's good feedback, we'll definitely pass it on as a possibility for the future. We have to keep up with the changes!

When it comes to the size of the USB hard disks: that might happen. We use different models of USB disks, and some differ in size. When you buy one you'll be given at least 500GB, but it might be than some customers got more. No choice on that.

Cheers

Andy
12-05-2009, 10:05
I asked a while back about the possibility of larger USB hard disks, and was told it may happen in the future. Has there been any word on this? I currently have a single 500GB USB drive but its becoming full and I'm going to need another quite soon. I was wondering if OVH had any plans to upgrade the 500GB offer to 1TB (seeing how the price per GB is cheaper!) as this would be of great use to me, even if the price ended up being the same as 2x500GB disks since I need to keep all the data on a single drive if possible. It avoids me splitting accounts and adding extra workload.

Also, I noticed some people (that I spoke to on msn) got a WD 640GB drive not a 500GB drive?! Was that by accident or on purpose? I want 640GB!

Cheers.