We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Email MX Record Help

scorgit
27-07-2010, 16:40
Thank you for your answer Mark!

Tom

marks
27-07-2010, 12:02
ns0.ovh.net is for OVH mail services, that is, when you've got some mail boxes provided by OVH.

If you want to manage the email with your own server, you can point these cnames to your server, if your users want to use the more "user friendly" names :

mail.mydomain.com
pop3.mydomain.com
smtp.mydomain.com

to configure their email clients.

Or delete them altogether. As it's best for you.

scorgit
27-07-2010, 09:48
Thanx for this!

In fact, I followed the URL http://help.ovh.co.uk/YourEmailServer to set up the DNS / email server, but I have one further question:

What do I have to do with the records

mail.mydomain.com (CNAME)
pop3.mydomain.com (CNAME)
smtp.mydomain.com (CNAME)

?

Right now they are pointing to ns0.ovh.net. Can I safely remove them, or should I point them to the HOST mydomain.com?

I'm running ISPConfig 3, and want my client to be able to use webmail if needed. Squirrelmail has been installed and is working as it should via the installed webmail URL www.mydomain.com/webmail

Leaves me with the question what to do with the three CNAME records ?

TIA!

Tom

freshwire
12-05-2009, 20:36
The 'name' of the mx record should be your domain name or hostname that wants to recieve emails...

Example: abcdef@mydomain.com

The name of the mx record must be 'mydomain.com' and the value 'mail.mydomain.com'.

Example: bla@nospam.mydomain.com

The name of the mx record must be 'nospam.mydomain.com' and the value as above.

Having the name as 'mail.mydomain.com' will only allows emails as:

example@mail.mydomain.com

At least this is the general rule... The only exception if the 'name' you refer to means something else with OVH control panel... but I doubt it.

SteveTux
12-05-2009, 13:05
brilliant, thanks
--

Does it matter if both the subdomain and the mx record are called the same mail.mydomain.com ?

Andy
12-05-2009, 12:55
Yes that should suffice. Make sure it is the only MX record or it will attempt to push mail to the other MX servers too.

Remember DNS records can take up to 72 hours to propagate but in most cases it will be much less.

SteveTux
12-05-2009, 12:50
Hi
Iíve got my own Debian RPS and want to, amongst other things, host my own email server for my domain there. Can someone just confirm that Iím doing this right:
Goto vmanager, then select domain, domains & DNS, DNS Zone. Now in here delete the existing MX 1 record create an 'A Type' called Ďmail.mydomain.comí and point it at my server ip. Next create an mx type record, calling it whatever I want, and point it at this Ďmail.mydomain.comí.
Does this suffice?

Of course I know Iíve got to setup my mailserver on the box, but will this setup mean that all email will now be pushed to my box to handle?
Thanks