OVH Community, your new community space.

Straightforward questions in order to buy server

IainK
23-04-2008, 17:53
OVH are soon to be changing the way they license Windows, allowing clients to bring their own cd keys and use them instead of paying a monthly fee.

This may work out far cheaper for you depending on how long you intend to keep the server and if you qualify for Educational pricing.

For the record:
Windows 2003 Standard Edition is £30 per month.
Windows 2003 (Web Edition) with Plesk 8.1 is £15 per month.
Windows 2003 Web Edition is Free or £10 per month with Kimsufi.

Presumably one can only install the free/£10 web edition if it is during the server order process.

rockthecasbah
23-04-2008, 17:47
OK, I see it now, following reading a related post.

For anyone thats wondering, the current Windows OVH monthly fee is a whopping 30 quid a month. This effectively more than doubles the price of their low-end boxes, and IMO is not acceptable!

Andy
19-04-2008, 22:16
Firstly, there is no need to bump a topic less than 20 minutes old. There isn't always someone in the forum to answer. A day would be more appropriate before bumping.

For your questions:

1) Windows is supplied for 2 months free, then you incurr a monthly charge on top of your dedicated server fee for Windows. This ranges from £10 for Web Edition up to (I think) £20 for pro.

2) Yes, it really is 100Mbps SLA Unmetered, meaning you can transfer 34TB/month if you really wanted to.

3) Servers can be set up over the weekend once payment is made and verified. It will then be put up within 1 or 72 hours (depending on if the server is in 1 hour stock or not).

rockthecasbah
19-04-2008, 21:41
Hi,

Im interested in the lower end servers on offer to the UK market.

Can someone please tell me:

1) Whats the deal with Windows? There's a French note on the order form, which I roughly translate as "the Windows license is free for only two months"

What happens then? Do I have to pay extra monthly (I dont have my own Win Server License to use, so would need one from OVH). How much monthly, then?

2)About bandwidth? Do I really get 100mbps unlimited to all territories? Ive seen stuff about SLA - but simply, can I use it ALL (30TB transfer a month if maxed out nearly all the time)

Can I get a server set up over the weekend? How long if I order right now? (22:00 BST Saturday night)

If anyone can shed any light, I'd appreciate it...