OVH Community, your new community space.

Setup fee on PRO servers

Myatu
22-05-2009, 08:14
OVH could perhaps take a stab at minimum commitments?

Not sure how others would feel about it, but provided that you have a 7-day grace period, you could for instance state that the servers must be rented for a period of at least 3 months (whilst being billed monthly, of course!).

If someone does want to cancel it before the 3 months, but after the 7-day grace period, fine, but you still have to pay the remainder of that period.

Okay, sounds a bit "harsh" perhaps, but mobile phone companies get away with the same thing, except it's 12, 18 or 24 months - and sometimes for the same price as a dedicated server!

But doing this would discourage the 1-month-only renters, and give more guarantee you get a ROI for the installation of the server(s). Your only thing would be the grace period, but I think that's actually a legal requirement if I'm not mistaken... Not to mention that you want to scare off *everyone*

Just a thought though!

*Mikee*
21-05-2009, 21:14
Yeah they did away with all setup fee's on servers -- a few weeks after i got my new 1 haha but **it happens

tim2718281
21-05-2009, 18:30
Quote Originally Posted by Tz-OVH
I hate to change servers, I like to setup mine and stay on it for as long as possible till a better offer / spec comes along, but it has to be way better to make me move. Saying that, even considering an upgrade would mean paying for setup fees again, Why? If I prove I'm upgrading from say an SP to an EG server, I should be able to have the setup fee waived. Just a thought.
They did away with the setup fees!

Tz-OVH
19-05-2009, 22:43
I hate to change servers, I like to setup mine and stay on it for as long as possible till a better offer / spec comes along, but it has to be way better to make me move. Saying that, even considering an upgrade would mean paying for setup fees again, Why? If I prove I'm upgrading from say an SP to an EG server, I should be able to have the setup fee waived. Just a thought.

Neil
19-05-2009, 09:43
Yes it is, all is explained in the following post:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1659

But to put it simply:
Ovh does not wish to provide reliable, efficient and quality infrastructure to this kind of activity, meaning illegal activity.

Andy
19-05-2009, 08:36
The point is a large quantity of the 1 month orders are used by hackers or warez enthusiasts and OVH do not want these types of people using their services. Thats what they're trying to combat.

freshwire
19-05-2009, 02:59
It can cause delays in the ordering process ...

tim2718281
18-05-2009, 23:28
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
We need to think of another way to combat this....
Why? Surely the one-month rent is greater than your setup costs; so as long as you have the server sitting in the rack, you are better off renting it out for a month than have it earning nothing.

These people renting for a month might not have rented at all if you had had in place a scheme to "combat this."

freshwire
18-05-2009, 23:00
Make 1 month orders lower priority in terms of setup...

Make more offers for 3+ months like I am on... 3 months on kimsufi 2xl is 30% cheaper or something like that...

Andy
18-05-2009, 21:44
Ah right, I thought the turnover was not sufficient. I didn't realise you wanted to lower the turnover of 1 month sales.

Maybe if you introduced discounts on longer leases it might work?

Say:
0% for 1 month
5% on 3 months
10% on 6 months
20% on 12 months

That would encourage more sales on the longer leases. A lot of hosting companies do it but I don't know if its for the same reason.

The only other option of course is remove the setup fee for 3,6 and 12 month leases but leave it in for 1 month... Thats a compromise at least, but remember, most people starting up a new business and who need a server won't have much to spend initially so that might restrict their purchases too.

I'd try the first suggestion first then perhaps give the 2nd a try. Personally I don't much like the 2nd option as it would prevent me from buying a new server too due to lack of funds. I'd love to upgrade right now but the offer I have is much better than OVH can currently offer with more modern up to date hardware. To equal what I currently have now with OVH's current offers it would cost me 25 more than I currently pay! The last 2 sets of changes went backwards in terms of price vs specs, sadly.

Neil
18-05-2009, 21:31
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
At the moment, permanently. It was a good move by OVH, they realised it was not making them any extra money. By adding the setup fee, server sales dropped I believe so it didn't make them the turnover they needed.
Actually it did not drop the sales, the problem was it did not lower the turnover of servers, we were still getting very high one month contract orders. See, http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2112

We need to think of another way to combat this....

Tz-OVH
18-05-2009, 21:21
That's brilliant! Now if only we could get a discount for paying 3-6mo in advance

Andy
18-05-2009, 21:00
At the moment, permanently. It was a good move by OVH, they realised it was not making them any extra money. By adding the setup fee, server sales dropped I believe so it didn't make them the turnover they needed.

Tz-OVH
18-05-2009, 20:50
Hi,

For how long will the no-setup fee offer last? I wanted to get a 2nd server but am worried about not renting it in time to save some expense.