OVH Community, your new community space.

Management of Turnover: A Change

TDG
26-05-2009, 15:48
Quote Originally Posted by Marks
Check the following post for updates on news about this proposed new policy:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2147
Excellent news Kudos to OVH for listening to customers, I'll admit there aren't a lot of companies who do that!

Again to re-iterate, I see no problem with making the 1 hour delivery an extra paid-for feature, I'm sure many people will be willing to pay. But I would have liked to see the 72hr option as the free option, not a month-long option. Maybe something can be done around that?

marks
26-05-2009, 12:14
Check the following post for updates on news about this proposed new policy:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2147

TDG
26-05-2009, 00:36
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
The prices there are a lot higher than ovh. They probably also don't have so many orders.
Exactly... you get what you pay for - those servers are located with and are run by a subsidiary of Network Access Corp, pretty much the best network you can get on, with all the bells and whistles you need (I still have a server there I've had for 5 years now). And they deal with a lot of orders too, NAC has two fully loaded DCs and about 5 or so POPs, they're not what I would call small

OVH is supposed to be cheap and cheerful. Very few people decide they want a server in France because it's a good location - it's cheap and cheerful, this decision in my opinion certainly removes the cheerful part and a bit of the cheap part - who's going to wait a month for server comissioning? While I understand comissioning servers rarely has to be done very quickly, I am certain it almost always has to be done quicker than a month...

Just my two cents - I'm sure everyone will think differently! All I know is if they make this new thing stick, I doubt I'll be around to see it

freshwire
25-05-2009, 18:21
The prices there are a lot higher than ovh. They probably also don't have so many orders.

TDG
25-05-2009, 17:56
Quote Originally Posted by S0phie
With this new offer, if you pay for an express delivery we guarantee the deployment of your server within 1h max. It's a luxe to guarantee deliveries within 1 hour and it costs money.

In general, do you need your server to be deployed within 1h or 3 days?

Do you know any competitors who can guarantee such deliveries?
Are you kidding?

http://www.15minuteservers.com/

I've used them for many servers in the past and 15 minutes is not a lie, running a few warm servers ready to PXE-bootload an OS isn't difficult, I've worked in many datacenters in my life.

I'm sorry but this new anti-turnover BS is just that - I'll be taking my business elsewhere for one.

Halide
25-05-2009, 04:27
Methinks you guys are smoking far too many drugs

30 days deployment? Thanks but no thanks, I'll pay $10 more at other sites for a comparable server and have it within a few days thank you very much!

Sad about turnovers? Many of those turnovers are people who come back again and again! They certainly won't if they have to wait a month for a server...

Imagine how sad you'll be when your sales in general plummet while your turnovers maybe drop just a little bit. Think this through a bit more, you guys seem to be grasping at straws.

If you think about it, your first month will be less servers you'll have to set up. After that first month of a breath of fresh air, you'll realize, hey..... Same amount still need setting up, all we've done is delay the setup 30 days! This doesnt lighten your workload, it's quite simply procrastination. LOL!

I for one will keep my two servers for now, but don't expect me back to buy more servers until you get rid of this ludicrous new tack. Thanks for reading and I hope you really take this to heart! You are amongst the best, don't let that slip away.

And please, how much strain does it really put on you guys to provide these excellent setup times? you say "robots" do it, how much does a 1 day setup really cost you? And why not pass THIS cost + a tad bit more on to the customer? I'm fine with setup fee's over this bs!

wackomoo
24-05-2009, 13:05
Quote Originally Posted by S0phie
No, but 30 days is a long stretch from there. I'd say there would be more times I'd need a server in 3 days than 30 days. But if it was a week/ten days then that would be more reasonable

S0phie
24-05-2009, 12:36
Quote Originally Posted by Tz-OVH
Will this apply to just .co.uk or to all sites?
It will apply to all our websites

S0phie
24-05-2009, 12:33
Quote Originally Posted by derchris
I never said anything about the setup fees, but this is ridiculous.
You went from good, to bad, to worse.
Fees are now even higher then they were before, If I want the Server within the next 3 days (which was Standard with all my previous orders, even faster).
If you can't cope with the turnovers, then that's your problem. But don't pass the problems down to your customers by inventing such stupid stuff.
I for myself will now think twice if I will order another server from you, or from one of your competitors.

Just my 2 cents.
With this new offer, if you pay for an express delivery we guarantee the deployment of your server within 1h max. It's a luxe to guarantee deliveries within 1 hour and it costs money.

Do you know any competitors who can guarantee such deliveries?

S0phie
24-05-2009, 12:27
Quote Originally Posted by limepath
So just to clarify, now it will cost 1.5x the cost of a server to get it within an hour, 1x the cost for a server within 3 days? Or no cost for 30 day setup times?
Yes that's right. But if you place an order in Express delivery for 6 or 12 months, the fee is free. Meaning that you only pay the server price.

If you place an order for 3 months, you only pay 50% of the fee to get your server within 1h and 3 days.

Seedbox Paradis
24-05-2009, 07:46
Quote Originally Posted by Tz-OVH
It's all well and good making things more expensive as a deterrent to reduce server turnover...why not make it attractive to keep a server longer like discounts for 3mo 6mo and 12mo pre-payment? With server cost+ windows+ tax it gets to be expensive...
Well partly that's what OVH wants, they want to make as much money as they can, though of course Oles will say he's not after the cash, but that's BS

Tz-OVH
23-05-2009, 16:49
Will this apply to just .co.uk or to all sites?

Tz-OVH
23-05-2009, 16:46
It's all well and good making things more expensive as a deterrent to reduce server turnover...why not make it attractive to keep a server longer like discounts for 3mo 6mo and 12mo pre-payment? With server cost+ windows+ tax it gets to be expensive...

Seedbox Paradis
22-05-2009, 22:26
Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
Why?

Edit: As long as I'm getting solid performance and cheap prices, I wouldn't care if the underlying hardware was virtualised...
I would mind, because when it comes down to a spike in your useage/visitor amount, that virtualized crap isn't going to hold. Thats why God created VPSs

Euan
22-05-2009, 22:25
You learned from setup fee's - it does not stop the turn over of servers, servers will always have a high turn over that is simply hosting. When you get to the size that OVH is now you will always have a high turn over per month of servers.

Why do you think charging for what was a huge bonus of moving to OVH the almost instant setups. If you are struggling to cope with the demand of instant setups simply only offer it on certain servers - the ones you sell the most of.

If you really wanted, you could infact only sell certain servers with instant setup, this will then result in that product selling more than it was before - people do not like waiting. But that the price you suggest 150% the cost of the server no one will chose this option and will simply put you back into the same league as many other European server provider.

We had planned to swap to only providing OVH servers but at this rate the chance is slim.

You were very excited at being one of the largest providers in the world why try and ruin that by adding stupid clauses to your setup times? I wonder how many will select 30 day setup time...

unclebob
22-05-2009, 22:07
Quote Originally Posted by derchris
I want a dedicated server, no Virtualized crap.
Why?

Edit: As long as I'm getting solid performance and cheap prices, I wouldn't care if the underlying hardware was virtualised...

Seedbox Paradis
22-05-2009, 21:41
Quote Originally Posted by MIODude
ok.. first - why is it someone is always repeating the post, even when its already in english?

but.. anyways...

About this statement...

Doesn't seem clear - if you pay 12 months in advance, no setup fee? 3 months in advance you pay 50% setup fee?
Maybe the original thread was translated after the second reply came about?

Now on the subject, this is ridiculous, about 80% of your network is used for illegal purposes and you have to make it look like you're trying to fight that, and pocketing a nice chunk of change while you're at it. Worst case scenario: bring back the setup fee and trash this crap, its not going to combat a high turnover anymore than the setup charge; best case; deal with it like all the other datacenters.

MIODude
22-05-2009, 20:56
ok.. first - why is it someone is always repeating the post, even when its already in english?

but.. anyways...

About this statement...
Also, if you pay for 6 months or 12 months, Ovh offers express delivery. If you pay for 3 months, Ovh delivery offers standard and express delivery will cost 50% of the monthly cost of a server. It is therefore possible to have no costs associated with any taking advantage of reduced time of delivery.
Doesn't seem clear - if you pay 12 months in advance, no setup fee? 3 months in advance you pay 50% setup fee?

derchris
22-05-2009, 20:53
I want a dedicated server, no Virtualized crap.

unclebob
22-05-2009, 19:43
This is a total joke. No one (who is sane) is going to wait 30 days for server deployment. I agree with the concept of tiered set-up pricing based upon the urgency of the servers, but not at 100% and 150%! I think oles is living on the moon...

Why not migrate to virtualisation technology? Servers could then be deployed instantaneously without marginal installation of hardware. Cost savings (power, space, etc) would be huge. Bespoke (virtual) server customisations would finally be viable. Upgrading (virtual) server specs would be also instantaneous. Both customer and OVH benefit. Any thoughts?

derchris
22-05-2009, 19:08
I never said anything about the setup fees, but this is ridiculous.
You went from good, to bad, to worse.
Fees are now even higher then they were before, If I want the Server within the next 3 days (which was Standard with all my previous orders, even faster).
If you can't cope with the turnovers, then that's your problem. But don't pass the problems down to your customers by inventing such stupid stuff.
I for myself will now think twice if I will order another server from you, or from one of your competitors.

Just my 2 cents.

limepath
22-05-2009, 18:44
So just to clarify, now it will cost 1.5x the cost of a server to get it within an hour, 1x the cost for a server within 3 days? Or no cost for 30 day setup times?

*Mikee*
22-05-2009, 16:03
Hello,
As already announced, the installation costs can not manage
proper turnover of servers. Therefore, after a test
6 months, we have removed. We will test a new option
hoping that it will manage this problem.

This problem affects servers such as RPS.

How does it work?
-------------------
Currently we have a large inventory of dedicated servers ready to
be delivered in 1 hour. This stock is very important as it is
3000 to 4000 servers (!!). This stock dormant and waiting for your input
upon payment robots deliver servers in less than 1 hour!

The idea is to offer servers in 3 modes of delivery and
to adapt the stock server to real needs. Everyone has
not need server in less than 1 hour.

We will offer 3 types of delivery:
- Express delivery (max 1 hour)
- Livraison standard (max 3 days)
- Non-priority delivery (max 30 days)

Express delivery (1 hour max) allows you to take advantage of the available stock in
1 hour. Against it by a service, real service, in less than 1 hour
24/24 you can come in and have a Ovh server, guaranteed! At our level we
put servers in stock awaiting your order. So how these
servers expect (and are not charged), Ovh invoice you the cost of
this expectation. It is estimated that 150% of the monthly cost of the server.
This is a delivery that is for exceptional cases of urgency or
.... customers who are struggling to organize and do everything at the last
minute. So the cost is justified.

Standard Delivery (3 days max) allows us to anticipate and adjust
production servers in the very short term. Given qu'Ovh provides
production at 2-8 weeks (the parts come from everywhere in Europe and
as China) can be changed in exceptional production
last moment (within 3 days) for final delivery to servers
correct within 3 days. It is very complicated even when such
Amendment to planning. Indeed, at the last moment, you must decide
to increase the production of such a product with such a quantity and therefore
not produce other references (to have a stock parts that
be in direct Ovh then manage the stock of parts which will not be
mounted).
The estimated cost of delivery in this case 100% of the monthly cost of
server. This type of delivery is aimed at companies that can
orders and provide a few days in advance.

Delivery "low priority" (max 30 days) is consistent with the production
and thus allows the production servers that you order taking
into account also the turnover. This will sometimes avoid producing
servers to take advantage of servers not renewed. In this case, there is no
cost of delivery. This type of delivery is open to individuals who
particular needs of a server without cost at startup.

The remaining payment for 1 month, 3 months, 6 months or 12 months. No commitment.

As against, if you pay for 6 months or 12 months, Ovh offers
express delivery. If you pay for 3 months, Ovh delivery offers
standard and express delivery will cost more than 50% of the monthly cost of a
server. It is therefore possible to have no costs associated with any
taking advantage of reduced time of delivery.

Finally, if Ovh does not delay, we will refund monies that we
've charged. That is, if you order a server express
but you Ovh 1:05 in the book, it is a standard delivery and not
express and you should be 50% of delivery. Similarly, if you order
a server as standard and you have 10 days, you shall reimburse the Ovh
100% delivery standard. Refunds are made in the form of
months provided that 15 days, 30 days or 45 days depending on available
type of delivery and late delivery. You will not lose anything.

Monday we will put into production deliveries and 3 during the
weeks we will remove the stock of available servers in 1 hour and 72 hours. In
Indeed, you will ensure Ovh from next week periods
delivery. It will no longer be necessary to give you the stock in
real time. It therefore simplifies the communication on the site, while
increasing the added value of our services.

What this new system will reduce the turnover?
-------------------------------------------------- --
Currently, we have a crazy pressure on your part on time
Delivery. "I ordered the server 35 minutes ago, I did always
not received. "We read it every day. We have internal mechanisms that
work well, but with 55,000 servers and significant growth
it is difficult to predict the stock of servers it must actually have
available in 1 hour. In the final even with a large stock might
may disappoint some customers and that's not good. Can this stock has a
cost and it is important for us to reduce this cost or charge
added value it represents. This mode of operation will enable us
better manage production and inventory servers. And you have
strong guarantees on deliveries.

On the other hand, if you do not want to cost you to start
will give us the time to deliver the server. As would be
planning the production of 2 to 8 weeks to 30 days for you
deliver the server is very comfortable. We can adjust the production
to real needs in terms of command and the other side take advantage of
stock of servers that you do not renew every month. So
if you must wait 20 days for your server, you will more
difficult to release. This will automatically slow the turnover because
that it will be. Basically, it adds to the inertia in the system.

In all cases, the best idea we had up there (bah dis donc)
and it is important for us to try to manage the turnover. What is
the origin of turnover? We have many new customers every month
arriving at OVH. It takes about 2 ½ months to a client for testing
Ovh and have total confidence in our operation. During the 2 months
and a half testing it in all directions on servers cheap kind
kimsufi or miniSP or EG, and thus reboot, resettlement, issues
on the media, non-renewal and thus the turnover, so the wholesale
tests of trust, "what qu'Ovh will do if I do this and if I do
that. The client is an idea by putting little money. Once the
client is aware of our limitations, real, it has tested on a real case, it is
controls the real server and go for years. Simply there with
the amount of new customers, the general stock and growth, we must
try to control everything.

Amicalement
Octave

oles@ovh.net
22-05-2009, 16:00
Hello,

As already announced, the installation costs did not manage the turnover of servers. Therefore, after a test of 6 months, we have removed it. We will test a new option hoping that it will manage this problem.

This problem affects Dedicated Servers and the RPS.

How does it work?
-------------------
Currently we have a large inventory of dedicated servers ready to be delivered in 1 hour. This stock is very important as it is about 3000 to 4000 servers (!!). This stock is dormant and waiting for you, upon payment robots delivers the servers in less than 1 hour!

The idea is to offer servers with 3 options of delivery and to adapt the stock server to needs. Not everyone needs a server in less than 1 hour.

We will offer 3 types of delivery:
- Express delivery (max 1 hour)
- Standard delivery (max 3 days)
- Non-priority delivery (max 30 days)

Express delivery (1 hour max) allows you to take advantage of the available stock in 1 hour. In less than 1 hour you can order and have an OVH server, guaranteed! We allocate awaiting for your order. OVH invoice you the cost of this expectation. It is estimated that this will be 150% of the monthly cost of the server.

This is a delivery is for exceptional cases or .... customers who are struggling to organize and do everything at the last minute. So the cost is justified.

Standard Delivery (3 days max) allows us to anticipate and adjust production servers in the very short term. Given that production takes 2-8 weeks (the parts come from everywhere in Europe and as China) it is hard to change in exceptional demand at the last moment (within 3 days). It is very complicated even when such amendment to planning. At the last moment, you must decide to increase the production of such a product with such a quantity and therefore not produce other servers (to have a stock that Ovh directly manages then the stock of parts which will not be used). The estimated cost of delivery in this case 100% of the monthly cost of server. This type of delivery is aimed at companies that can order few days in advance.

"Low Priority" Delivery (max 30 days) is consistent with the production and allows us to take into account the order and we will try use the turnover servers. This will sometimes avoid producing servers. In this case, there is no cost of delivery. This type of delivery is open to individuals who particular needs of a server without cost at setup fee.

Payments are still 1 month, 3 months, 6 months or 12 months. No commitment.

Also, if you pay for 6 months or 12 months, Ovh offers express delivery. If you pay for 3 months, Ovh delivery offers standard and express delivery will cost 50% of the monthly cost of a server. It is therefore possible to have no costs associated with any taking advantage of reduced time of delivery.

Finally, if Ovh does not comply, we will refund the money that we've charged. That is, if you order a server express but at1:05 it is not deployed, it is a standard delivery and not express and it should be 50% of delivery. Similarly, if you order a server as standard and it is 10 days later, you will be reimbursed the 100% delivery standard. Refunds are made in the form of months provided, 15 days, 30 days or 45 days depending on available type of delivery and late delivery. You will not lose anything.

Monday we will put into production deliveries and in the next 3 weeks we will remove the stock of available servers in 1 hour and 72 hours. It will no longer be necessary to give you the stock in real time. It therefore simplifies the communication on the site, while increasing the added value of our services.

What this new system and will it reduce the turnover?
-------------------------------------------------- --
Currently, we have a crazy pressure from you on delivery. "I ordered the server 35 minutes ago, I did not received it". We read it every day. We have internal mechanisms that work well, but with 55,000 servers and significant growth it is difficult to predict the stock of servers that we must actually have
available in 1 hour. In the end even with large stock we might disappoint some customers and that's not good. Can this stock has a cost and it is important for us to reduce this cost or charge added value it represents. This mode of operation will enable us better manage production and inventory servers. And you have strong guarantees on deliveries.

On the other hand, if you do not want to cost you to start will give us the time to deliver the server. As would be planning the production of 2 to 8 weeks to 30 days for you deliver the server is very comfortable. We can adjust the production to the needs of orders and the other side take advantage of stock of servers that you do not renew every month.

In all cases, this is best idea we had and it is important for us to try to manage the turnover. What is the origin of turnover? We have many new customers every month arriving at OVH. It takes about 2 ½ months for a client to test at Ovh and have total confidence in our operation. During the 2 months
and a half test customer order a non expensive server as cheap kimsufi or miniSP or EG, and they reboot, reinstall and contact support and they have to trust us. "What's Ovh do if I do this and if I do that". The customer has an idea of OVH with a small amount of money. Once the customer is aware of our limitations, and tested us on a real case, they will ordered a real server and go for years. Simply with the amount of new customers, the general stock and growth, we have to try to control everything.

Reagrds
Octave