OVH Community, your new community space.

Need a server recommendation

wackomoo
26-05-2009, 17:23
for 19.99 your going for a Celeron 1.2GHz - which isn't very much when it comes to hosting modern game's servers.

Ashley
26-05-2009, 15:20
I'd actually go with a Kimsufi. Maps, server addons and the binary itself will eat into 10gb very quickly.

Plus you can run more stuff like HLTV and you don't have the latency of reading from OVH's iSCSI.

Dave
26-05-2009, 14:33
Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
For a game server I'd go with the RPS - better processor and more RAM. The only real downside is the network storage, as Mark said. I have no trouble running services 24/7 on my RPS.
I agree I've had no trouble with the RPS range either, but you need to remember you get what you pay for and although I have no experience of running any game servers I would imagine if there was to be a problem it would be the storage.

What game are you planning on hosting? maybe will know what specs you need and how HDD intensive it is?

either way you look at it theirs no minimum contract or setup fee so you could try for a month and if you don't like it then swap.

unclebob
26-05-2009, 13:53
For a game server I'd go with the RPS - better processor and more RAM. The only real downside is the network storage, as Mark said. I have no trouble running services 24/7 on my RPS.

marks
26-05-2009, 13:31
Hi Matthew,

Basically, both servers platforms are our entry level servers.

RPS is our cheapest server and it hasn't got a physical hard disk but a slice of SAN to store the OS and data. If this performance is enough for what you want to achieve, only you knows. But generally speaking, RPS were thought to be personal servers for very simple applications. I wouldn't put a 24/7 applications there.

Kimsufi servers are full servers when it comes to hardware, but they are also personal servers. When it comes to performance, they are generally better than RPS (no network disk but physical hard disk), but it's not a professional server yet.

Our PRO range has got better hardware, better bandwidth and better SLA and intervention times. These are all things for you to consider depending on what you are up to.

When it comes to the Windows license: we just support Windows from Kimsufi, you cannot install it on an RPS. The license we provide is for Windows 2003 web Edition (£15/month) or Standard (£30/month). we don't support the installation of your own license (unless you have a SPLA license) neither Windows 2008 yet. Some customer have managed to install their own license through vKVM, but we do not support that.

Well, I hope you've got all the information you wanted

Cyborgmatt
26-05-2009, 01:15
Hi,
I'm looking for a cheap server to host a game server on, I've looked at both the RPS servers offered by OVH and the L servers offered by Kimsufi. I'm probably going to go for one of the £19.99 packages and was just wondering which one people would recommend.

£19.99 RPS: http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/rps3.xml

£19.99 L: http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/

I've my own copy of Windows server 08, would this be usable on any of these two servers?

Thanks in advanced,
- Matthew.