We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Server is very unstable


freshwire
21-06-2009, 02:40
Usually I get about 10 dud pings during a reboot... so 20 seconds ish.

Stylee32
20-06-2009, 22:09
Dear god, i rebooted and it came up about 3mins later!

Stylee32
04-06-2009, 19:13
Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
I had similar problems. Using a grsec kernel fixes it.
Was using it in the first place, guess it hasn't worked for me

unclebob
04-06-2009, 18:37
I had similar problems. Using a grsec kernel fixes it.

Stylee32
04-06-2009, 17:34
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Hi

I see the incident on 2009-06-01 22:51:02, however I do not see any defects or downtime after that.

So it would appear now it has been up for 3 going on 4 days, so I think just keep an eye on it.
There was some before that, on the couple of last days of may.
And it hasn't been down for a long time because i haven't rebooted it, i could reboot to show you on how long it takes

Neil
04-06-2009, 16:16
Quote Originally Posted by Stylee32
I'll have alook into the logs
I don't see nothing in the log files which tell me on what was the problem


SHH is indeed inaccessible and i get an email saying a defect on my server, (it doesn't respond to the pings) - i get another email (xx hours/mins) later on saying it's back up and replying to pings
Hi

I see the incident on 2009-06-01 22:51:02, however I do not see any defects or downtime after that.

So it would appear now it has been up for 3 going on 4 days, so I think just keep an eye on it.

Stylee32
04-06-2009, 15:32
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
The logs are located in /var/log/ normally and they give in indication to what happened, the server must of being ping during the 3 hours you say it was done because otherwise there would of been an intervention on it.

I can see your are using the Neboot kernel so it should only take a few minutes to boot up, I suspect maybe the RPS went into check disk during a reboot.

Also how do you mean it was down, was it just SSH inaccessible?
I'll have alook into the logs
I don't see nothing in the log files which tell me on what was the problem


SHH is indeed inaccessible and i get an email saying a defect on my server, (it doesn't respond to the pings) - i get another email (xx hours/mins) later on saying it's back up and replying to pings

Neil
04-06-2009, 10:12
The logs are located in /var/log/ normally and they give in indication to what happened, the server must of being ping during the 3 hours you say it was done because otherwise there would of been an intervention on it.

I can see your are using the Neboot kernel so it should only take a few minutes to boot up, I suspect maybe the RPS went into check disk during a reboot.

Also how do you mean it was down, was it just SSH inaccessible?

Stylee32
03-06-2009, 18:37
Quote Originally Posted by Marks
On the 20th you've got the motherboard changed, but I cannot see any problem since them. It's true that RPS take longer to reboot that ordinary dedicated servers, but it has to load the kernel from the network and then the OS from the iSCSI drives.

In any case, for your situation you may find out some info in the logs in your server on why it takes so long to booting up. Do you boot your own kernel? because this is normally a cause of booting delays.
Logs on my server? How can i find them?
I haven't got my own kernel, i'm using the one provided by the os/ovh
I haven't known for it to take 3 hours to boot up, i find this very annoying

marks
03-06-2009, 17:21
On the 20th you've got the motherboard changed, but I cannot see any problem since them. It's true that RPS take longer to reboot that ordinary dedicated servers, but it has to load the kernel from the network and then the OS from the iSCSI drives.

In any case, for your situation you may find out some info in the logs in your server on why it takes so long to booting up. Do you boot your own kernel? because this is normally a cause of booting delays.

Stylee32
03-06-2009, 16:59
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Give 'em a ring @ 020 7252 2310
I don't like phoning, i'll wait for them to reply back to my support ticket

Myatu
03-06-2009, 16:50
Give 'em a ring @ 020 7252 2310

Stylee32
03-06-2009, 15:44
32 views and no help, i haven't even got no word from the support ticket i replied to

Stylee32
02-06-2009, 16:06
Honestly, my server takes forever to come back-up after a SOFTreboot, it started happening when i changed OS's to Fedora Core 9 based-system:
As soon as i installed the OS, the server went down at 2009-05-20 11:45:11
and came backup at 2009-05-20 12:30:30 after having a motherboard replacement
Server goes down again at 2009-05-22 11:59:12, comes back up on 2009-05-28 16:46:02.
It goes down again, when i did a softreboot at 2009-06-01 20:36:08 and comes back up at 2009-06-01 22:51:02
I replied to the ticket, but get no-response...
I HAVE never knew a server to take 1hour+ to come back up after a a simple softreboot
Server: r20255.ovh.net
Nic Handle: sr14437-ovh