OVH Community, your new community space.

RPS and performances

Neil
22-07-2009, 11:22
What is the log of 'hdparm -t /dev/sda' ? You should be getting at least 1MB/Sec, this the sort of output you should get:

/dev/sda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 8 MB in 3.81 seconds = 2.10 MB/sec

hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 6 MB in 4.12 seconds = 1.46 MB/sec
hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 6 MB in 3.01 seconds = 1.99 MB/sec
hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 6 MB in 3.02 seconds = 1.99 MB/sec

sic
19-07-2009, 23:54
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Performance has not decreased for Standard customers on the RPS range.

Before these packages we did not guarantee any Read/Write Access, since we have changed over 2,000 disks to more reliable disks. We are able to offer high performance packages with even better Read/Write Access, however this does not affect current RPS Users.

What is your server address that you are having performance issues with?
i know this question was not aimed at me. But i guarantee you the service dropped noticeably!

Previously i could easily guarantee steady read/write speeds touching 6/7mB/s when you introduced these new plans my speeds droped to 1 if i was lucky. When i chose the trial my speeds went back to normal and then after the trial they dropped back again.

Now it does not affect me because i only had the 1 month contract and so i chucked the rps as quickly as i could but for those on longer contracts? it sucks and i feel for them.

Neil
06-07-2009, 10:04
Performance has not decreased for Standard customers on the RPS range.

Before these packages we did not guarantee any Read/Write Access, since we have changed over 2,000 disks to more reliable disks. We are able to offer high performance packages with even better Read/Write Access, however this does not affect current RPS Users.

What is your server address that you are having performance issues with?

over9000
06-07-2009, 05:01
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Go to http://www.ovh.co.uk, select the "Private Server" tab and then an RPS of your choice. There will be three tabs at the top: Standard, Premium and Business - each tab will display the minimum iSCSI througput speeds as well as the costs for that package.
WHEN WE SIGNED UP THAT WAS NOT THERE THEN!!!

So why should we be made to suffer now?

over9000
06-07-2009, 05:00
Quote Originally Posted by sic
am i missing something here? i have had my rpsII for many months now and have been happy with the little fella. speeds and reliability have been acceptable. now since this has come in my service has been awfully bad.

I just tried the 24 hour test and the rps returned to form. now, again the test has finished and the poor service is back. and unless i am missing something i am now going to have to pay more for the service i used to get???????

Surely i or ovh are missing something here? The rps would be alot dearer than a kimsufi otherwise?
Mate this is exactly what I have been saying, I'm so glad someone else has finally mentioned it.

As you say, the RPS was fine months ago, and now they take speed away from us and try and sell it back to us, WHAT A CHEEK!!! How can you do this to us? It wasn't in the terms and conditions when we signed up, and I know you have the clause that they may change at any time, but legally if they change to our great disadvantage we have the right to complain about it.

The decrease in performance to us customers that signed up a long time ago is very dramatic indeed. In fact all my problems with my server crashing has started right about the time you introduced it.

These restrictions should be placed on new customers only, and current customers should be given full speed access to their iscsi disks for FREE until the end of our current contracts.

sic
22-06-2009, 18:40
i thank you myatu.

Myatu
22-06-2009, 18:16
Quote Originally Posted by sic
where on the website is the link to explaining the charges for this 'new service'?
Go to http://www.ovh.co.uk, select the "Private Server" tab and then an RPS of your choice. There will be three tabs at the top: Standard, Premium and Business - each tab will display the minimum iSCSI througput speeds as well as the costs for that package.

sic
22-06-2009, 16:08
where on the website is the link to explaining the charges for this 'new service'?

sic
22-06-2009, 16:00
am i missing something here? i have had my rpsII for many months now and have been happy with the little fella. speeds and reliability have been acceptable. now since this has come in my service has been awfully bad.

I just tried the 24 hour test and the rps returned to form. now, again the test has finished and the poor service is back. and unless i am missing something i am now going to have to pay more for the service i used to get???????

Surely i or ovh are missing something here? The rps would be alot dearer than a kimsufi otherwise?

tim2718281
12-06-2009, 16:51
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
Really if you want to make sure that the meaning is 1048576 then you should say 1 MiB/s
Yes, though with OVH stating a range of +- 30%, it seems an unnecessary distinction.

Unfortunately there are many people who do not understand that the prefix "m" means "million"; and the notion that "B" means byte" and "b" means "bit" is also confusing.

So business Ts&Cs written in English should either spell out "million", "bit", and "byte", or define their abbreviations. (What's so hard about that?) If they don't, the units they use will be taken by some to be SI units.

All of which obscured for some the underlying oddity: OVH gives a speed between 18mbps and 28mbps, and describes that as 4MBps.

Well, it isn't, is it? It's *3* million bytes per second, not *4* million ...

And "between 50Mbps and 90Mbps" is better described as 9 million bytes per second rather than 10 million.

freshwire
09-06-2009, 15:57
Really if you want to make sure that the meaning is 1048576 then you should say 1 MiB/s

Myatu
09-06-2009, 15:17
Lost in translation...

S0phie
09-06-2009, 09:35
Sorry for the mistake, it's corrected now.

Seedbox Paradis
09-06-2009, 09:05
Quote Originally Posted by tim2718281
Actually, they probably mean

standard: one million bytes per second
premium: three million bytes per second
business: nine million bytes per second

I hate it when providers use ambiguous abbreviations instead of spelling out in full what they mean. It's sloppy, and creates confusion and misunderstandings.
No they don't, one million bytes is neither equal to one megabyte nor one megabit, so therefore your comment is wrong. What you should have said is that they mean 1048576 bytes per second, which is 1 megabyte per second, which is 1MB/s, which is what I wrote so you're correcting me by rewriting what I wrote in a more confusing way.....

tim2718281
09-06-2009, 08:06
Actually, they probably mean

standard: one million bytes per second
premium: three million bytes per second
business: nine million bytes per second

I hate it when providers use ambiguous abbreviations instead of spelling out in full what they mean. It's sloppy, and creates confusion and misunderstandings.

Seedbox Paradis
09-06-2009, 06:51
Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
Are those the correct units...?
No, they mean this:

- standard 1MB/sec (between 6Mbps and 10Mbps)
- premium 4MB/sec (between 18Mbps and 28Mbps)
- business 10MB/sec (between 50Mbps and 90Mbps)
I hate when hosting companies get this wrong themselves

freshwire
09-06-2009, 00:25
The look normal to me ?

unclebob
09-06-2009, 00:20
- standard 1Mb/sec (between 6Mbps and 10Mbps)
- premium 4Mb/sec (between 18Mbps and 28Mbps)
- business 10Mb/sec (between 50Mbps and 90Mbps)
Are those the correct units...?

Myatu
08-06-2009, 18:27
Hello,
Following the development of quality iSCSI disks and internal testing, we think we can commit ourselves on iSCSI performance and ensure the flow to our storage facilities. We should be able to hold these performances:

- Standard 1Mo/sec (between 6Mbps and 10Mbps)
- In 4Mo/sec premium (between 18Mbps and 28Mbps)
- In business 10Mo/sec (between 50Mbps and 90Mbps)

with an average variation of about + / - 30% verifiable with hdparm-t / dev/sda1

For the moment these figures there are pre-announced in beta and we will monitor the quality of our infrastructure to see if we can keep on or you must modify a little infrastructure here or there.

In the meantime, you can now test premium free for 24 hours. This gives you the possibility to see if it suits you or not.

Tomorrow, the "premium" is available.

About:
http://www.ovh.com/fr/produits/offres_rps.xml

Regards,
Octave

oles@ovh.net
08-06-2009, 18:04
Hello,

Following the evolution on the quality of iSCSI disks and internal tests, we think we can guarantee you the flow to our storage infrastructures. We should be able to get these performances:

- standard 1MB/sec (between 6Mbps and 10Mbps)
- premium 4MB/sec (between 18Mbps and 28Mbps)
- business 10MB/sec (between 50Mbps and 90Mbps)

In average with variations of about +/- 30%, that you can check with hdparm -t /dev/sda1

For the moment, these figures are in beta and we are going to follow the quality of our infrastructures to see if we can keep it straight away or if we need to modify a bit the infrastructure.

Meanwhile you can now test "premium" for 24h for free. It can give you an idea to see if you are interested in this offer or not.

"premium" will be available tomorrow.

Find out more:
http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/rps_offers.xml

Regards,

Octave