OVH Community, your new community space.

Wiki or Knowledge Base?

ruperthair
12-06-2009, 11:41
Quote Originally Posted by Ashley
Registered users can only edit/submit. I'm sure there are CAPTCHA extensions available.
Some MediaWikis that I use get spammed, even though we've got anonymous edits disabled. Using a CAPTCHA sounds like a good idea, if it's not too much work.

Ashley
12-06-2009, 11:05
Quote Originally Posted by ruperthair
Looks good. I've jammed on my notes on Xen.

What's your plan for preventing spam? I've seen other wikis getting spammed with links, even though MW uses 'rel="nofollow"'.
Registered users can only edit/submit. I'm sure there are CAPTCHA extensions available.

Myatu
11-06-2009, 21:09
Oooh! I like Thanks - I'll be creating an account...

freshwire
11-06-2009, 19:45
Looks good. I will try to post a tutorial up later

ruperthair
11-06-2009, 18:16
Looks good. I've jammed on my notes on Xen.

What's your plan for preventing spam? I've seen other wikis getting spammed with links, even though MW uses 'rel="nofollow"'.

Ashley
11-06-2009, 12:01
Quote Originally Posted by ruperthair
Fair enough... Guess I'll take http://ovh.wikidot.com/ down then.
It's nice, just doesn't have that wiki interface everyone is used to.

http://ovhwiki.com works - added two articles. In the process of changing the logo etc.

ruperthair
11-06-2009, 11:37
Quote Originally Posted by Seedbox Paradis
As I said before, give me a month and we'll have our own domain and paid hosting Also a real wiki hehe
I'm in the process of setting one up now.
Fair enough... Guess I'll take http://ovh.wikidot.com/ down then.

Ashley
11-06-2009, 10:53
I'm in the process of setting one up now.

Going to populate it with a bit of data and then will post the link here.

Seedbox Paradis
11-06-2009, 08:24
As I said before, give me a month and we'll have our own domain and paid hosting Also a real wiki hehe

ruperthair
11-06-2009, 07:04
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
Free hosting is annoying.
Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
It doesn't even look like a wiki
You're very welcome to write a new template for it, or we can bin the whole thing and run it somewhere else if it's no good.

freshwire
10-06-2009, 22:39
Free hosting is annoying. It doesn't even look like a wiki

ruperthair
10-06-2009, 11:00
I've taken the liberty of setting something up at wikidot. They provide free wiki hosting and are widely used amongst the open source community. Let me know what you think of this or if you want to help manage the site.

http://ovh.wikidot.com/

I'm planning to write up a quick HOWTO on using Xen on a dedicated server.

Seedbox Paradis
10-06-2009, 07:58
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
I hope you meant non-OVH, as I'd rather not have anti-OVH folk modding the place

I can see OVH's point of view: They cannot control non-OVH personnel, ie., from giving bad/incorrect information or going rouge. What happens is instant.

On the other hand, a community supported Wiki would be ideal. It can be setup to require approval before making it visible, so OVH could double-check for accuracy and whether it applies to its services.

Such checking would take a lot less time compared to writing their own, and could also encompass a wider variety of topics, ie.: "How to use IPv6 on Centos" vs "... on Debian", and OVH specific: "How to recompile an OVH-based kernel".

I know OVH already has a Guide section, but they're quite poorly written. Frankly, I only use them to check for OVH-specific details and the rest all comes from third party sources, this forum or past experience.

Given that, I'm +1 for a community Wiki at OVH.
Sorry for that mistake, I did mean non OVH A wiki would be a great idea, as some of the installations/modifications are really specific to OVH servers and it would help a lot of people out. I'll be starting a new website in about a months time, so I could register the domain and host the wiki for all of us. Now we should decide whether we want to use .co.uk or maybe .com or .eu? Personally I'd rather use .com as I don't want this wiki to be specific to British clients, just those that rent from OVH and can speak English.

Myatu
09-06-2009, 15:58
Quote Originally Posted by Seedbox Paradis
anti-OVH personnel modding the forums
I hope you meant non-OVH, as I'd rather not have anti-OVH folk modding the place

I can see OVH's point of view: They cannot control non-OVH personnel, ie., from giving bad/incorrect information or going rouge. What happens is instant.

On the other hand, a community supported Wiki would be ideal. It can be setup to require approval before making it visible, so OVH could double-check for accuracy and whether it applies to its services.

Such checking would take a lot less time compared to writing their own, and could also encompass a wider variety of topics, ie.: "How to use IPv6 on Centos" vs "... on Debian", and OVH specific: "How to recompile an OVH-based kernel".

I know OVH already has a Guide section, but they're quite poorly written. Frankly, I only use them to check for OVH-specific details and the rest all comes from third party sources, this forum or past experience.

Given that, I'm +1 for a community Wiki at OVH.

freshwire
09-06-2009, 15:54
No match for "ovhwiki.co.uk". This domain name has not been registered.
No attachment to OVH.. you just promote it on the forums... then perhaps if OVH get to liking it they will incorporate it more.

fozl
09-06-2009, 15:31
I like the idea of an ovh wiki, but the spirit of wiki is that anyone can edit it, so it would raise liability issues for ovh to provide this. People can create one themselves if they want, perhaps we could sticky a thread linking to it... we'll see.

Ashley
09-06-2009, 13:51
Quote Originally Posted by S0phie
Can you pls give the name of the guides and we will correct them.
It's not just the English, which doesn't matter as its understandable but not perfect. It's that OVH offers so many different set ups it would be nice if there was a wiki.ovh.co.uk for example where some of us can post how we would do things on Debian such as assign IPv6 and other users can do it for Windows for example.

S0phie
09-06-2009, 09:38
Sometimes when I try and read the OVH guides they aren't wrote in perfect English nor for my exact set up.
Can you pls give the name of the guides and we will correct them.

Seedbox Paradis
09-06-2009, 06:47
They're against anti-OVH personnel modding the forums, Andy and myself emailed them more than once and got denied Maybe they'll realize some day...

freshwire
09-06-2009, 03:06
You could setup your own unofficial wiki

Ashley
09-06-2009, 02:09
Sometimes when I try and read the OVH guides they aren't wrote in perfect English nor for my exact set up.

Just wondering if OVH has thought about doing an open wiki where we can contribute articles or tutorials etc without clogging up the forum?

Even a subforum on the forum will be ideal with some community mod powers.