OVH Community, your new community space.

IP address confusion

kopite
25-04-2008, 15:13
Any news on this yet fozle?

IainK
24-04-2008, 23:54
It took around 3-4 days for me.

kopite
24-04-2008, 17:12
ns28167.ovh.net

Tried to send via PM but looks like they are switched off

fozl
24-04-2008, 16:40
Quote Originally Posted by kopite
I ordered it yesterday afternoon. I also emailed support and they said its done once a day just wondering when as It still doesnt seem to have been set up :S

I want to start pointing my domains at my new server but until thats done I cant
Give me your server name or something and I'll check for you...

kopite
24-04-2008, 13:41
I ordered it yesterday afternoon. I also emailed support and they said its done once a day just wondering when as It still doesnt seem to have been set up :S

I want to start pointing my domains at my new server but until thats done I cant

BELLonline
24-04-2008, 13:20
I tried ordering one and got it pretty quickly, you do have to set your server up to use it by the looks of it though.

kopite
24-04-2008, 13:13
I ordered my IP failover yesterday afternoon. Anyone have any ideas how long the usually take to be set up?

IainK
23-04-2008, 18:45
It would appear that the IPs are routed the same inside OVH, however when tracerouting my French and British IPs I get an extra hop on the British one.
After some further investigation this would appear to be my ISP though.

So possibly, the British IPs are either better peered in the UK, or worse. But it's deffinately got more routers to go through.

although I would prefer it if I was sshing to same address etc which isnt allowed =\.
It's always good security if your SSH server is on a different IP from your website

krogothzero
23-04-2008, 16:38
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Correct.
Additional IP address may not be used for:
- command shell, bouncers or IRC servers,
- P2P servers,
- other types of activities that are not in agreement with the general terms of services
If its the same route it makes me wonder why OVH have imposed these extra restrictions. If I were to use it I would use it I would for a SSL certificate, although I would prefer it if I was sshing to same address etc which isnt allowed =\.

Andy
23-04-2008, 15:55
Quote Originally Posted by BELLonline
I don't think the speed would be affected at all, the only difference is that the failover IP is registered as a UK IP address - the route taken should be the same.
Correct.

BELLonline
23-04-2008, 14:18
I don't think the speed would be affected at all, the only difference is that the failover IP is registered as a UK IP address - the route taken should be the same.

kopite
23-04-2008, 13:55
So there is no problem with speed or anything?

Andy
23-04-2008, 13:52
Quote Originally Posted by kopite
Hey guys,

Im just about to order my server but Im a bit confused now.

I am from the Uk and want my site to show up in search engines as a uk site. Now I have been emailing support and have been told that the Ip would be french but I could set up a uk fail over.

How would this work?
The failover address will be given a different geographical location to your 9x.x.x.x address which is initially assigned to your server. All you have to do is run your websites through the fail-over ip, which will be an 8x.x.x.x address for the UK, and google will see it as being UK hosted. It shouldn't matter really but it depends what you're using it for.

Note: A fail-over IP works just the same as a normal IP.

kopite
23-04-2008, 13:40
Hey guys,

Im just about to order my server but Im a bit confused now.

I am from the Uk and want my site to show up in search engines as a uk site. Now I have been emailing support and have been told that the Ip would be french but I could set up a uk fail over.

How would this work?