We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

RPS and NX No Machine

over9000
29-06-2009, 04:47
Emailed....

fozl
25-06-2009, 12:54
Quote Originally Posted by over9000
Any chance we can get back on topic?

Seriously, I'm looking to get a new dedi server from OVH but if I don't get help with this RPS how can I trust them with a more expensive server?

I know it's cheap, but the customer service should still be as good.

Can a member of OVH staff tell me if it would be possible to get moved to a different RPS?
Could you please send an email to customersupport@ovh.co.uk with your nic handle and the server name so we can look into this. It's difficult to help if we don't have any details to go on. Is there a ticket open for this?

Andy
25-06-2009, 11:41
I second DedicatedPros post. I have had a dedi with OVH since Dec 2007 and I've had zero problems that weren't my fault. I'm still on the very same server I started renting in Dec 2007 too, so that says something for the reliability. I've had zero network downtime since then as well. Can't ask for much more really.

DedicatedPros
25-06-2009, 10:35
You may not want to get a dedi because of your experience with the RPS, but trust me, their dedicated servers really are great. Been using them for nearly a year with no problems, and whatever issue I did have either got solved with their support or on the forums.

over9000
25-06-2009, 03:18
Any chance we can get back on topic?

Seriously, I'm looking to get a new dedi server from OVH but if I don't get help with this RPS how can I trust them with a more expensive server?

I know it's cheap, but the customer service should still be as good.

Can a member of OVH staff tell me if it would be possible to get moved to a different RPS?

tim2718281
24-06-2009, 07:42
Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedPros
Personally I feel that people like you shouldn't even be able to post on public accessible forums,
You may not want to know why fozle must "must remind anyone reading whenever torrenting is mentioned " etc etc; but I do.

If, as I have surmised, it is the result of a company policy, then it can be done in a way that avoids irritating law-abiding customers - which is what happened in this case.

DedicatedPros
23-06-2009, 15:25
Quote Originally Posted by tim2718281
Why must you remind anyone reading of that?

Is it an OVH company rule that whenever an employee sees mention of torrents on the OVH community forum, they must post a reminder?

If that's the case, may I suggest that OVH adopt a standard wording for the reminder, and put it in a separate post. ideally with a special userid used only for posting the reminders ?

And why does the wording mention torrents, anyway? Surely any unlawful distribution of copyright materiual is not permitted, whether or not torrents are used. So:

"Permit me to remind everyone that unlawful distribution of copyright material is not permitted at Ovh"

Ideally OVH could automate it (but only one reminder per thread.)
They're being nice enough to tell you that, so that you don't get your server shut down. Personally I feel that people like you shouldn't even be able to post on public accessible forums, I mean sure someone tries to be nice, and they get a very *kind* reply such as yours.

tim2718281
23-06-2009, 15:12
Quote Originally Posted by fozle
but must remind anyone reading whenever torrenting is mentioned that ovh do not permit the use of our servers for torrenting material that breaches copyright laws.
Why must you remind anyone reading of that?

Is it an OVH company rule that whenever an employee sees mention of torrents on the OVH community forum, they must post a reminder?

If that's the case, may I suggest that OVH adopt a standard wording for the reminder, and put it in a separate post. ideally with a special userid used only for posting the reminders ?

And why does the wording mention torrents, anyway? Surely any unlawful distribution of copyright materiual is not permitted, whether or not torrents are used. So:

"Permit me to remind everyone that unlawful distribution of copyright material is not permitted at Ovh"

Ideally OVH could automate it (but only one reminder per thread.)

DedicatedPros
23-06-2009, 11:28
I don't see how you can expect OVH to make you happy when you're using a technology that's still what I consider in beta testing. Their dedicated servers run great, I have had no problems with them ever, and thanks to thousands of forums such as this one, I end up saving loads of money buying from OVH instead of a company that will rent for 4x the price. I mean look at all the American based servers, ie. www.theplanet.com, their cheapest server looks like this:

Intel Pentium4 2.8 GHz (single core)
80GB 7200RPM IDE
1GB of RAM
$74.12/mo
$25 setup fee
Included Free Operating Systems:
CentOS, FreeBSD, Debian, Ubuntu
Fedora Core, openSUSE
Free Bandwith: 750GB
Uplink Port: 10Mbps (100Mbps for an extra $10/mo)
Free Control Panel: No
So let's say you get the 100Mbit port and end up paying $110 for the first month, and $85 every other month. Now lets see what we can have from OVH for the same price:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz (Dual Core)
2x500GB SATA HDD
2GB of RAM
50/mo (about 80USD)
No setup fee
Included Free Operating Systems:
http://www.ovh.co.uk/items/distributions.xml (too many to list)
Free Bandwith: Unmetered
Uplink Port: 100Mbps
Free Control Panel:
Plesk 30 Domain
See the difference? I think it speaks for itself that you get an unmetered connection, 1TB of space (or 500GB in RAID1), so many free operating systems, and even a free plesk license

over9000
23-06-2009, 00:53
Also, I plan to upgrade at the end of this contract to a dedi, and if this is the taste of support I am getting at the moment it leaves me to wonder whether I will continue my relationship with OVH when the time comes to upgrade.

over9000
23-06-2009, 00:52
Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedPros
Running a critical process (like a forum) on an RPS... Not the brightest idea ever.

Complaining about it just like everyone else... Not worth the time.
That is still avoiding the issue that the RPS should not go down. My friends does not go down like mine does?

And the RPS has easily enough resources to cope with a forum that only ever has between 10 and 20 users active at a time.

And to reiterate, the server goes down when it isn't under any load at all. For no apparent reason.

DedicatedPros
22-06-2009, 19:12
Running a critical process (like a forum) on an RPS... Not the brightest idea ever.

Complaining about it just like everyone else... Not worth the time.

over9000
22-06-2009, 18:59
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Hiya over9000! When your server appears down, did you try an online ping or traceroute tool to check whether it's not ISP related?

I use SixXS many times to check whether my servers are accessible from different parts of the world. Take a look at http://www.sixxs.net/tools/traceroute/ - simply select an IPv4 host (or IPv6 if you use it) from the drop down, and enter your IP address in the field next to "Other".

If you're unable to ping or use SSH to login your RPS, go to SixXS and try two or three different hosts for a traceroute to your RPS. If it is unreachable indeed, copy & paste the details shown to OVH's technical support so they know it isn't just you (or your ISP) that's having an issue, or can see at which point the problem occurs (which could be one of their peers).

Also, are you using any firewalls on your RPS? It seems like an obvious thing to check, but I've seen one firewall (based on IPtables) that automatically added a rate limiter for SSH connections. I didn't know, so accessing it too often within a one minute period locked me out...
Thanks for your input, but yes I have tried to do this, and the forum that I run on it has users from all over the world, all of which were emailing me to let me know that it was down.

Also, I was able to log into the second and third RPS that I have control of with no problems. The other RPS's that I use do not suffer from this problem. When this happens traceroute is failing at the host, and the machine does not repsond to pings.

I know the RPS is a cheap product but it is still a product that is being sold so it deserves to have its technical issues resolved in the same timely manner that other services get. It's almost as people are not paying any attention to these issues at all just because it is a cheap product. Are customers of cheaper services looked down on as though they are scum or something?

The point here is that this problem exists and does not seem to be occuring on other machines. When the machine is running it runs perfectly and performs all of the tasks that are asked of it with no problems. What is more is that this problem is strange in the way that when the machine does start working it just starts responding all of a sudden just like nothing has happened. I'd like an answer to the problem or ideally I would like to be moved to another RPS as I strongly believe that this may go a long way in solving my problems.

All I am running is a forum with 170 users, probably 10 or so active at any one time, and the occasional torrent for sending stuff to family abroad, with me as the seeder and maximum 6 of them leeching at any one time. In my educated opinion even my RPS 1 should b more than capable of doing this without falling over. As I said when it works it works, and whn it goes down it is not even under any load at all.

Myatu
22-06-2009, 18:32
Hiya over9000! When your server appears down, did you try an online ping or traceroute tool to check whether it's not ISP related?

I use SixXS many times to check whether my servers are accessible from different parts of the world. Take a look at http://www.sixxs.net/tools/traceroute/ - simply select an IPv4 host (or IPv6 if you use it) from the drop down, and enter your IP address in the field next to "Other".

If you're unable to ping or use SSH to login your RPS, go to SixXS and try two or three different hosts for a traceroute to your RPS. If it is unreachable indeed, copy & paste the details shown to OVH's technical support so they know it isn't just you (or your ISP) that's having an issue, or can see at which point the problem occurs (which could be one of their peers).

Also, are you using any firewalls on your RPS? It seems like an obvious thing to check, but I've seen one firewall (based on IPtables) that automatically added a rate limiter for SSH connections. I didn't know, so accessing it too often within a one minute period locked me out...

DedicatedPros
22-06-2009, 16:42
Well that's exactly what it is...

I'm sure even you can understand why they don't advertise the servers as such.

over9000
22-06-2009, 15:51
So because it is an RPS it is OK for it to be defective then is that what you are saying?

Why don't you advertise it as:

"A product that is inferior to a dedicated server, that will not work at times, and will often crash, but hey, it's dirt cheap, so who are you to complain about it eh?"

Ashley
22-06-2009, 10:00
hard reboot has no effect either.

what s this rubbish?
It's an RPS, not a dedicated server.

over9000
22-06-2009, 02:59
hard reboot has no effect either.

what s this rubbish?

over9000
22-06-2009, 02:02
However, it seems to come back online and start responding again just as though nothing has happened. It has not come back yet, but I do not want to do a hard reboot.

over9000
22-06-2009, 01:49
On a further note.....

My server was working fine a few moments ago, and has AGAIN just stopped responding to pings and I cannot login by SSH.

I stopped using remote desktop ages ago when I changed to CentOS. Why is this happening, it is VERY annoying. This also happens even if I do a clean install and do not install ANY software at all.

Please, someone explain why these RPS just seem to go down for no apparent reason other than sheer annoyance!!!

over9000
15-06-2009, 22:44
OK, point cleared up.... But maybe you could have opened a little better than to quote me the rules! I read them when I signed up 6 months ago!!!

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Is anybody else experiencing stabilty issues with their remote desktop connection on their RPS??

fozl
15-06-2009, 17:24
Fozle,

May I remind you that I am a customer of OVH, and as such I think I deserve NOT to be spoken to in that tone. It's not a good start to jump down my throat regarding torrenting copyrighted material when I have clearly stated:

The first reply I get from you, and it seems that you are making me out to be some sort of liar? What sort of staff member are you to be laying down such accusations when I have already stated I use torrents to distribute family videos and stuff? Why would I need reminding of something that I am quite clear on, and that I am not taking any part in. Very rude of you to make such an assumption I think, and quite embarrassing to have it posted in an open forum, you've made me feel belittled in front of the other users.

Torrenting video files to 5 or 6 family members is not going to place a burden on the server at all. And if it does, then there are big problems with the way that they operate.

Furthermore, I have conducted a hardware test and everything is OK. If you would have read my post thoroughly instead of concentrating on the torrent issue, you would have read that my friend also has the same problem with both of his RPS, I wanted to know of other users experiences with this issue, and what remedies that they may have found.

Honestly, your reply has really darkened my view of the forums and I have only just joined.
Must be my feindish prose I guess!

I'm not accusing you of anything but must remind anyone reading whenever torrenting is mentioned that ovh do not permit the use of our servers for torrenting material that breaches copyright laws.

You say you have run a hardware test and no problem was found, I can't take your friends rps into account as even if you provided the details for it I still wouldn't be able to discuss it with you. For a more general discussion of rps performance you can check this thread: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2226

Stylee32
15-06-2009, 15:58
BTW, I don't want to post my NIC-handle on the open forums.
Unless you've got a easy-to-guess password, i'm sure no-one is going to hack it

over9000
15-06-2009, 14:29
Nice, not even an apology! ;_;

over9000
15-06-2009, 13:57
BTW, I don't want to post my NIC-handle on the open forums.

over9000
15-06-2009, 13:54
Fozle,

May I remind you that I am a customer of OVH, and as such I think I deserve NOT to be spoken to in that tone. It's not a good start to jump down my throat regarding torrenting copyrighted material when I have clearly stated:

Apart from that, I use it to distribute some torrents that I make for family movies and pictures and the like.
The first reply I get from you, and it seems that you are making me out to be some sort of liar? What sort of staff member are you to be laying down such accusations when I have already stated I use torrents to distribute family videos and stuff? Why would I need reminding of something that I am quite clear on, and that I am not taking any part in. Very rude of you to make such an assumption I think, and quite embarrassing to have it posted in an open forum, you've made me feel belittled in front of the other users.

Torrenting video files to 5 or 6 family members is not going to place a burden on the server at all. And if it does, then there are big problems with the way that they operate.

Furthermore, I have conducted a hardware test and everything is OK. If you would have read my post thoroughly instead of concentrating on the torrent issue, you would have read that my friend also has the same problem with both of his RPS, I wanted to know of other users experiences with this issue, and what remedies that they may have found.

Honestly, your reply has really darkened my view of the forums and I have only just joined.

fozl
15-06-2009, 13:42
over9000,

Permit me to remind you that torrenting of copyrighted material is not permitted at Ovh, and furthermore the RPS are not suitable to torrenting due to the high r/w to disk.

Aside from that could you provide your nic-handle, or contact us at customersupport@ovh.co.uk with the full server details and we'll look into this. It may be necessary to create a ticket. Did you do a hardware test by the way? If not check these instructions on rescue mode and how to conduct a hardware test (of course with RPS you won't test the hd):
http://help.ovh.co.uk/RescueMode

over9000
15-06-2009, 13:11
Hi there.

I've had my RPS since November and my opinion is sort of 50/50.

See the problem is that they seem to go down for no apparent reason, I don't know why this is, but it baffles me.

In particular, when connecting to the remote desktop on Ubuntu desktop, it just crashes, and then stops responding to pings. I no longer use this OS, I use centOS to host my sites and stuff, but I still would like someone to shed some light on why this happens when using the RD client, as it is very annoying. It seems that this problem is not limited to the RPS1 as my friend has the RPS5 and it still does it.

Also, even with centOS just using SSH I have encountered problems. I had uptime of 34 days, and I was using SSH at about 6 or 7 am and the machine just froze then took several reboots to get it to come back online (thru the OVH manager).

There seems to be some sort of issue at that particular time of the day, as sometimes, and often the machine will freeze up, but still responds to pings, and then seems to come back to life on its own and start responding again.

My first guess was that this may have something to with the machine accessing the SAN. As I said, this also happens to my friends RPS5, and I am interested to know if anybody else is experiencing these same issues or similar. If this is not a common problem, and it continues to persist, would it be possible to get moved to a different server if it would fix the problem.

I'm not running anything particularly stressful on the server. I have a vBulletin forum with about 140 ish users with maybe 20 to 30 online at a time, mostly on USA time as that is where they are based. Apart from that, I use it to distribute some torrents that I make for family movies and pictures and the like. Oh, I run Virtualmin for control panel.

Thanks in advance for your replies!