OVH Community, your new community space.

Installing own OS

makno
23-06-2009, 13:05
i tryed that but i seem to have a problem still. at some point while copying new files the vKVM drops and i have to restart it. If i boot from hd i manage to get to the bash login but it doesn't recognise the acount created. Trying another install now crossing fingers

freshwire
23-06-2009, 02:48
^ Yes what he said.

DuncanBain
22-06-2009, 22:07
Quote Originally Posted by makno
eheh and again can you explain me how? all i found to partition the drive in the manager is at the end of the reinstall os but if i proceed i just get the os installed
After you install an OS via the manager the partition table is obviously changed to reflect the layout required, when you reach the partition part of an install using vKVM the partition layout will reflect this, you just then select what partitions you want mounted where, and whether to format them or not.

makno
22-06-2009, 17:31
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
I did not partition the drive. Partition it with OVH manager then proceed to just format the / partition.
eheh and again can you explain me how? all i found to partition the drive in the manager is at the end of the reinstall os but if i proceed i just get the os installed

Ashley
22-06-2009, 09:55
Someone really needs to make an absolute step by step

DuncanBain
22-06-2009, 02:56
Quote Originally Posted by Ashley
one time it crashed when installing grub for me

Did anyone modify their /etc/network/interfaces or did you leave them as standard?
I modified /etc/network/interfaces to what was there from a default OVH OS install, I also removed the UUIDs from /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst and replaced them instead using /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 (/boot and / respectively) to avoid any conflicts with changes of the UUID that may occur when swapping from the vKVM virtual machine to the actual one on reboot.

freshwire
22-06-2009, 01:27
I did not partition the drive. Partition it with OVH manager then proceed to just format the / partition.

Ashley
22-06-2009, 01:05
one time it crashed when installing grub for me

Did anyone modify their /etc/network/interfaces or did you leave them as standard?

makno
21-06-2009, 22:38
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
Ubuntu Server 8.04 installs in vKVM easy as pie
do you mind telling me how you did it? i've tried 4 times and vKVM crashed each time after partitioning the drive

Ashley
21-06-2009, 22:29
I got bored of it, the whole partitioning with RAID's confused me - first time trying to set up a raid on Linux so I figure I'd just install OVH's OS and then disable SSH keys etc

freshwire
21-06-2009, 21:46
Ubuntu Server 8.04 installs in vKVM easy as pie

wackomoo
21-06-2009, 21:29
Couldn't you install their version and then remove/disable the SSH key etc, and then installing your own kernel from in the existing OS seems easier.

gigabit
21-06-2009, 19:34
Have a look through the boot logs - found at /var/log/messages on Fedora, no idea about Debian. Doing this helped me fix a "no connectivity" problem as for some reason eth0 was being renamed to eth1 during boot (which messed with all my IPs trying to assing themselves to eth0...).

Ashley
21-06-2009, 12:59
Quote Originally Posted by wackomoo
Since I can't help you directly, I'll just post a question: Why don't you install Debian via OVH's OS install panel in the manager?
Because that's OVH's own custom build of the OS which for security reasons, I do not want.

See here:
http://ovhwiki.com/index.php/OVH_%27Backdoor%27

DedicatedPros
21-06-2009, 12:13
Its a pain in the ass to do this via vKVM, seeing as it never quite works

wackomoo
21-06-2009, 07:01
Since I can't help you directly, I'll just post a question: Why don't you install Debian via OVH's OS install panel in the manager?

Ashley
21-06-2009, 03:37
This is a community discussion thread, not one requesting OVH support simply because I know installing your own OS is unsupported by OVH.

Anyway, I am attempting to install Debian Lenny 5.0 on my server, did all the vKVM stuff bla-de-bla - updated my /etc/network/interfaces with my external IP's etc.

I requested a reboot and well still cannot connect. Just wondering if anyone knows what else I need to edit to get this box online?

Cheers