OVH Community, your new community space.

Private servers

magickangaroo
02-07-2009, 17:38
turns out there was something wrong and in fairness ovh did resolve it well by refunding my in reward points toward my kimsulfi server. so hopefully if your reading this and thinking about getting a server like i had, it may not be the same for you

Andy
26-06-2009, 18:24
You should still get support and your product working regardless of the cost. They are selling you something after all, you would expect it to work the way its intended.

magickangaroo
26-06-2009, 16:13
thanks andy, thats quite reassuring. i was drawn to them as they seemed to be linux guys instead of windows guys who went on linux courses. i get that with cheep servers i dont get the same response as full on proper one, but 30 quid for a non functioning product is a bit hard to swallow when the kumulsfi ones start at 20. Think i will swap anyway just to be on the safe side.

Andy
26-06-2009, 16:10
The reinstall issues can still affect the dedicated servers as well and a fix can only be performed by tech support, but they are a lot rarer than RPS issues. I hope you get this sorted soon. I'd hate you to be put off OVH's services as they are really good when things are working properly.

magickangaroo
26-06-2009, 16:07
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
The reinstall system sometimes has problems. Contact OVH via phone about it and they should have it sorted in minutes.
Hi andy

Spent about 30 mins trying to get to the root cause of the issues which have been going on for at least a week now. didnt get anywhere. At least with a dedicated hardware platform i hope i wont have to be so reliant on ovh support response.

Andy
26-06-2009, 14:36
The reinstall system sometimes has problems. Contact OVH via phone about it and they should have it sorted in minutes.

magickangaroo
26-06-2009, 13:54
just for record and other users, i have had continual issues with the rps. it constantly crashes and returns in rescue mode. I have restarted to no avail, and have kicked of a reinstallation of the OS to remove any possibility that i have caused some issue, however this re instllation itself failed with the message

System reboot 7:40 error

from the manager.

OVH itself seems unresponsive or unwilling to get to the bottom of the issue, and seem to have the point of view that paying 30 quid for a server you shouldn't expect it to work most of the time. Hopefully the kimsulfi forum will show if the servers are more reliable.

magickangaroo
24-06-2009, 13:22
ok sounds good, hopefully i will find out whats caused the instability of my server.

cheers

wackomoo
24-06-2009, 13:11
Kimsufi are budget servers. It's just another line of servers from OVH (Think EG, SP, etc).
http://www.kimsufi.co.uk
Starting at a celeron 1ghz with 1gig RAM for 20 quid.

They are not meant for mission-critical or seriuhz biznizz, but more like a server to learn on, for personal projects & websites, etc. (Not to say that they aren't great and even beyond great for the price tag, but some people wrongly expect top-of-the-line everything out of them.)

Ashley
24-06-2009, 13:09
A product.

magickangaroo
24-06-2009, 12:48
what exactly is Kimsufi and its relationship to ovh?

DedicatedPros
24-06-2009, 11:28
In my opinion, they're a bit too unstable and the transfer speeds are bad. I'd much rather get a Kimsufi and have all my hardware in one enclosure with proper read/write speeds, and the fact that I get to call it dedicated for £20 is the icing on the cake

magickangaroo
24-06-2009, 10:56
Hi All

I really liked the idea of the private servers, thin servers basically. However i seem to be having reliability issues with the server and although im still chasing up whats going on, what do people feel about them?

Thanks

/Mgk