OVH Community, your new community space.

Qestion regarding 2 months free windows

slayer2005
23-04-2008, 20:33
Im patient :-)

IainK
23-04-2008, 20:31
Slayer, if you really want OVH to answer your question then send it to customersupport@ovh.co.uk, you will get a much faster answer than on here.

And sorry for my response earlier, I misread that you were asking if you could order another to continue with Windows.

JALZOO
23-04-2008, 20:06
Quote Originally Posted by slayer2005
He He that looks pretty funky :-)
You have msn so i can chat to u soemtime,as its a lil easier.
If so i am kopitesteve@hotmail.co.uk in msn or yahoo messanger.
Ok ill add you on msn..

slayer2005
23-04-2008, 20:05
He He that looks pretty funky :-)
You have msn so i can chat to u soemtime,as its a lil easier.
If so i am kopitesteve@hotmail.co.uk in msn or yahoo messanger.

JALZOO
23-04-2008, 19:59
Basically if you were using windows server 2003.. You'd use remote desktop to access your server..
With ubuntu desktop u use basically the same thing but its called NX client.. Same proceedure you just put your server ip in root name and password.. You will get a desktop enviroment..

This is what your desktop will look like and as you can see everything is pretty easy to navigate around..

As for installing torrent clients this is very easy to do.. I believe the newest version of ubuntu desktop already has a torrent client built in. But to install utorrent you will need wine to emulate windows.. sounds pretty scary but its not at all.. If you wanted me to talk you throught the basics and help you out even if you want me to install utorrent for you than i will certainly do it for you no problem.

As for guides on ubuntu i allwayse use this website: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Gutsy
Its got nearly everything you need to know about linux desktop and there really easy to follow basically copy + paste into SSH window.

slayer2005
23-04-2008, 19:24
Quote Originally Posted by JALZOO
I reckon that ubuntu desktop is better than windows.. its easy to use takes no up no were near as many resources as windows server 2003 does. not alot of knowlage of linux is needed as you can use it just like windows!.. Using Nx client. AND ITS FREE
Jalzoo.
How easy is it to do this?
Can you login like u do with remote desktop ect?
Can u give me a guide on what to do after i install ubuntu desktop os?
Or when u install that is it just there?
Would be gr8 to see how easy this is.
Could u run a t client on it like utorrent or deluge for testing?

regards

slayer2005
23-04-2008, 19:21
But then again win web is free foreva on my current server.
But i think ovh has made a mistake with some of the reloads as most of the higher 1s come with 4gig or ram and ovh no that win web will not see 4gig of ram.
So thats were the price hikes up!

Andy
23-04-2008, 19:08
Cheers for reading the question andy.
I thought this would be the case,but would still like to hear it from a staff member.:-)
Of course. I'm sure Oles or Marco, etc can confirm this for you. If that is right then I may consider doing it if I upgrade to an XXL but I won't be doing this yet. My current server is no where nearly maximum load (fortunately!).

slayer2005
23-04-2008, 19:05
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
There is nothing stopping you doing this as far as I am aware. Its a way around paying but it causes an inconvenience for you to reinstall your settings and data every 2 months. It took me 2 months just to get everything the way I like it.
Cheers for reading the question andy.
I thought this would be the case,but would still like to hear it from a staff member.:-)

Andy
23-04-2008, 18:50
lol i no i can install linux anytime i want,but im not asking that.
If a staff member can acctualy answer the question i asked i would be gratful.
There is nothing stopping you doing this as far as I am aware. Its a way around paying but it causes an inconvenience for you to reinstall your settings and data every 2 months. It took me 2 months just to get everything the way I like it.

slayer2005
23-04-2008, 18:31
lol i no i can install linux anytime i want,but im not asking that.
If a staff member can acctualy answer the question i asked i would be gratful.

JALZOO
23-04-2008, 18:16
I reckon that ubuntu desktop is better than windows.. its easy to use takes no up no were near as many resources as windows server 2003 does. not alot of knowlage of linux is needed as you can use it just like windows!.. Using Nx client. AND ITS FREE

IainK
23-04-2008, 18:12
You can re-install your kimsufi at any time. Windows, BSD or Linux.
Here's a pic of the process in action:

Rather than cancelling before the end of 2 months you could simply re-install with BSD or Linux and e-mail OVH telling them not to charge for Windows anymore.

slayer2005
23-04-2008, 18:10
Ok on the kimi if you order it you get 2 months free windows web.
Then i assume you get charged 10gbp a month.
Is there anything from stopping you canceling that server after the 2 months and ordering a new kimi and therefore you get 2 months win web free again?
Or will it not work that way?

And can a member of staff comfirm why the windows BETA was here for a wee and then dissapeard?And will it return?

Regards