OVH Community, your new community space.

Help needed - WinRescue mode

Andy
26-06-2009, 14:27
Select your server, then: Dedicated Server Menu - Server State > Monitoring > Stop

Simple as that.

js5845-ovh
26-06-2009, 14:23
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Go into the monitoring and turn it off until you get it sorted to stop the defect e-mails and auto rescue mode.
How exactly do I do this? I can't find it anywhere in the manager.

marks
26-06-2009, 11:16
if the engineers have put your server in Rescue mode, there must be a reason, which probably is that the server couldn't boot up normally from the disk.

Regarding the use of WinPE, most of the things are done through command line, but we've installed some useful applications.

You can inspect the whole file system and create/copy/modify/delete files, run a checkdisk of the partitions, clean the disk from virus, check the logs, .....

You can find some of the commands in a standard WinPE OS at: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/winpe-wi...ew-1191-7.html

Hope this helps to understand it a bit better winrescue.

Andy
25-06-2009, 22:41
Go into the monitoring and turn it off until you get it sorted to stop the defect e-mails and auto rescue mode.

Set the Netboot to hd and then perform a hard reboot and the server should come back online.

js5845-ovh
25-06-2009, 22:36
Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedPros
It's been a while since I used Windows with OVH so I'm not 100% sure how to do this, but if you want to override OVH and set your booting back to normal (so you can login via remote desktop) you'd have to look under the netboot options. For Linux based servers you can set this to either rescue-pro, vKVM, or just standard hd-boot which is what you'll want to set it to.
I tried this, as I have been doing all week, yet again to no avail. Every time I do the hd-boot I get an e-mail saying that there is a defect on the server and I end up back at square one. Has anyone got any more advice? I'm really at the end of my tether here. One minute my server is running fine, the next I have a defect which I can't fix as I don't have a clue how to and OVH can't fix as the Customer Support tells me that only the server administrator can sort out these problems. It's an impossible situation and it's left a bad taste in my mouth.

DedicatedPros
25-06-2009, 10:19
It's been a while since I used Windows with OVH so I'm not 100% sure how to do this, but if you want to override OVH and set your booting back to normal (so you can login via remote desktop) you'd have to look under the netboot options. For Linux based servers you can set this to either rescue-pro, vKVM, or just standard hd-boot which is what you'll want to set it to.

js5845-ovh
25-06-2009, 00:39
Recently I was e-mailed by OVH and informed that my Windows-based server had a defect so it had been modified to start in WinRescue mode. I can access WinRescue mode via VNC without a problem but my next step is where I'm stuck. The e-mail says-

You can now carry out the necessary maintenance to re-establish your
server.

For example, you may:

- check and update your network configuration files,
- check and if required deactivate your firewall,
- launch a manual check of your filing system,
- carry out a backup or a data recovery,
- etc.

If you reckon you have identified the origin of the problem and
wish to start your server normally, you must configure the
netboot of your server on the hard disk:
http://help.ovh.co.uk/KernelNetboot/
Then reboot your server in soft (avoid rebooting via the Manager).
The problem is I don't know how to do any of the actions listed. I've e-mailed Customer Support multiple times and the responses haven't helped my situation. Simply put, how can I log in to my server in Windows like I could before?