OVH Community, your new community space.

Need Help: Windows Vmware (Host-Only) Configuration

zimsters
28-08-2009, 12:48
anybody have any luck with this? i was hoping it'd be as simple as running a route add command in windows but not sure what interface i'd be using - IF1? IF2? tried both, neither work.

SenS
29-06-2009, 18:16
I did everything with RRAS. Also crached OS and lost network connections for 3 times while my experiments to try route IPs. However, I made virtual machines access to internet without ICS but it is not possible to route IPs outside to virtual machines (which means I can not reach to virtual machines with given failover IPs that I configured with RRAS).

Myatu
26-06-2009, 17:47
Read up on RAS (Routing and Remote Access Services) for Windows 2003 Server. It's at Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Networking Configuration (or similar... I forgot). That's where you can set things like static IP routing, NAT, etc.

As for adding more than one IP address to your NIC, it's the same with all Windows systems. Just select the properties of the Local Area Network (to OVH), edit the Internet Protocol (TCP) properties. On the Advanced screen, you can add the IPs and Gateways (Subnet is 255.255.255.255 for failover IPs).

DedicatedPros
26-06-2009, 10:21
Yes I think that's why the support for Windows based servers is so lacking, I love the OS but for PC useage, and seeing as Linux is free and compatible with nearly every server app out there (which isn't something I can say for Windows), its a great choice for a server.

Ashley
26-06-2009, 10:02
Assign the IP's to Windows and then make VMWare bind to each one?

I'm only trying to think here, I never use windoze as a server platform...

SenS
25-06-2009, 23:03
Anyone please help. I can't solve this routing process.

I've made my virtual network as:

Server: Win64 2003 Standard
Server's Main Ip: 94.23.212.XXX (Eth0)
192.168.1.1 > VMnet1 Ethernet Controller (Host)
162.168.1.2 > Eth Controller (Guest Windows) - 91.121.217.XX0 > need to allocate
162.168.1.3 > Eth Controller (Guest Windows) - 91.121.217.XX1 > need to allocate

Please I just need the route lines to enter on "cmd" but couldn't undertsnad ip route tables' functions.

SenS
25-06-2009, 17:55
I finally made vps to reach internet however I couldn't realize how to route my fail over IPs to virtual nertwork IPs over Windows? Please help tiny thing left?

SenS
25-06-2009, 15:43
Quote Originally Posted by Marks
try to go through these 2 guides:

http://help.ovh.com/VMware
http://help.ovh.com/Proxmox

in them I'm sure you'll find everything you need to know on how to configure the IPs
Sorry but these all are deatiled for Linux and has just a minor explanation for Windows. I need this guide for Windows.

marks
25-06-2009, 15:40
try to go through these 2 guides:

http://help.ovh.com/VMware
http://help.ovh.com/Proxmox

in them I'm sure you'll find everything you need to know on how to configure the IPs

SenS
25-06-2009, 12:06
Quote Originally Posted by Ashley
Thats not really a feasible solution to his problem though. Even though Linux is generally more stable, it's all down to users knowledge, routine and them being comfortable with their set up.
Means there is a way to this also in windows? Or what shall I do? There must be a guide or something to help me for getting this done. I really need that.

Ashley
25-06-2009, 02:31
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
The issue here is you are using windows. Pretty much all the people who have done this have a linux host. That said the solution should be the same idea.
Thats not really a feasible solution to his problem though. Even though Linux is generally more stable, it's all down to users knowledge, routine and them being comfortable with their set up.

freshwire
25-06-2009, 01:58
The issue here is you are using windows. Pretty much all the people who have done this have a linux host. That said the solution should be the same idea.

SenS
25-06-2009, 01:04
Hi;

I really need a help to configure "host-only" option. I have been trying it for 2 days but never get the whole idea about this configuration. I have Windows Std 64bit (host) and I would like to setup 2 guest servers which are Windows Std R2 32bit. I have two IPs which need to be allocated to guest servers. Can anyone tell me how can I do it with "host-only" configuration?

To be more simple:
My host's ip/gw: 94.23.212.XXX / 94.23.212.254
IPs Given by OVH (to use in guest servers):
91.121.217.XX0
91.121.217.XX1

I need to allocate these 2 IPs to guest servers and make them to connect internet over these IPs. However, I know OVH is not permiting this and I need to setup virtual network with host-only option but how?

ps: I searched everything but couldn't find anything like guide or something else.

Best regards.