OVH Community, your new community space.

Quick Premium SLA bandwidth question.

freshwire
29-06-2009, 18:13
You can easily do this yourself... small bit of inter server communication to give priority to one server over another.. Just by applying some sort of speed limit.

Andy
29-06-2009, 13:13
You didn't dream it, because I remember it as well. However I don't have the means to try it since I only have 2 servers, and one is leased to a friend, besides you'd have to exceed 200Mbps to see the outcome and I can't do that with mine as they're both 100Mbps.

gigabit
29-06-2009, 13:07
I could have sworn an OVH staff member had said it worked like that, back when it was 100mbit per infrastructure they said "you could use 20mbit on one server and 80mbit on another" etc. Maybe i dreampt that...

Andy
28-06-2009, 11:56
If they had VLAN's available they could easily pool all the bandwidth between servers and dynamically change the speeds available to each, but that's not available yet. I do believe they were working on some sort of VLAN feature but whether it would work like that as well or not I don't know.

NickW
28-06-2009, 11:44
Quote Originally Posted by glidewave
I highly suggest reading Andy's overview of OVH bandwidth http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1199
Yes I have, but it doesn't talk about any situations involving gigabit NICs, which is why I asked some questions here.

Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedPros
No, you can't. This is done by OVH to normalize speed and make sure one server doesn't hog up the whole available connection. Once you get four servers in your infrastructure each one of them is limited to 50Mbps.
IT makes more sense like that as I suppose it would be more difficult to cap the traffic any other way. Limiting each one to a straight 50Mbps would be easy. Allowing them to chop and change depending would be hard I guess.

DedicatedPros
28-06-2009, 09:52
Quote Originally Posted by gigabit
Yes you can - you can have any amounts for each server as long as the total doesn't exceed 200mbit.
No, you can't. This is done by OVH to normalize speed and make sure one server doesn't hog up the whole available connection. Once you get four servers in your infrastructure each one of them is limited to 50Mbps.

glidewave
28-06-2009, 01:49
I highly suggest reading Andy's overview of OVH bandwidth http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1199

gigabit
27-06-2009, 23:29
Quote Originally Posted by NickW
And that's no fun that between 4 servers I couldn't have 25Mbps, 35Mbps, 50Mbps and 90Mbps. They have to be 50Mbps each.
Yes you can - you can have any amounts for each server as long as the total doesn't exceed 200mbit.

NickW
27-06-2009, 23:19
Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedPros
Btw, not that I want to seem rude, but getting guaranteed global 1Gbit upload in any datacenter will cost you serious dough, if they even supply those types of connections (which most DCs don't, look at all these companies...leaseweb, theplanet, etc.).
No, it's fine. I don't want guaranteed 1Gbps, I just want to burst to a high speed when needed, I only need something like 50Mbps average monthly bandwidth (I don't need all this yet, but I will in time). The 1Gbps EG servers initially attracted me as they have 20000GB on the traffic series, which is something like 66Mbps average per month, but now I know they're limited in speed to 100Mbps (200Mbps on the Premium SLA with 1 server). Everything is fine to start with, it's just when I expand and need the extra (non garunteed) speed at random burst.

And that's no fun that between 4 servers I couldn't have 25Mbps, 35Mbps, 50Mbps and 90Mbps. They have to be 50Mbps each.

Thanks for clearing some things up for me though .

The Kimsufi standard SLA is not related to the Premium SLA is it? I already have a Kimsufi box on the Standard SLA, and I guess this won't affect the Premium SLA I can get on norma OVH right?

I think the best option is going to be start out getting one SP server on Premium, then another SP on Premium when that's full. After that buy servers on the traffic plans, either SP or EG depending on the specification I think I need. I want all servers to be able to burst to the full 100Mbps whenever needed, but I don't need anywhere near the monthly bandwidth of maxing a 100Mbps connection for a month (33TB).

DedicatedPros
27-06-2009, 21:20
Btw, not that I want to seem rude, but getting guaranteed global 1Gbit upload in any datacenter will cost you serious dough, if they even supply those types of connections (which most DCs don't, look at all these companies...leaseweb, theplanet, etc.).

DedicatedPros
27-06-2009, 21:13
If you had four SP servers all running on the Premium bandwith plan than their max speed would be 50Mbps each, no bursting and no layover (ie. one server uses 20Mbps so the other can use 80Mbps). On the EG server you will have 1Gbps OVH to OVH transfer, but you'll have 200Mbps OVH to Internet transfer (the nic on that server is 1Gbit but its limited at the routers). So getting four SP servers is useless, get two and they each have 100Mbps, or get one EG server and it has 200Mbps.

What I recommend you do if you really want that 400Mbps is this:
-EG Server using Premium Series bandwith
-Two SP servers using Traffic Series bandwith

That way you get 400Mbps between the three servers guaranteed

NickW
27-06-2009, 20:06
I was originally interested in the Dedis that come with the 1Gbps port (EG series) and using them on the traffic series, but then realised your OVH to internet speed is limited to 100Mbps and the 1Gbps can only be utilised on OVH to OVH and internet to OVH, no bursting to 300-400Mbps OVH to internet - boo .

So now I am looking at using multiple of the SP servers so that there's multiple 100Mbps capable links rather than few 100Mbps capable OVH to internet links like there would be using EG servers.

What i'm asking is, if I hypothetically had 4 x SP Best Of servers using the Premium SLA traffic on each - I know I have 200Mbps monthly bandwidth shared between them, but what about per second bandwidth. If all 4 servers were running at full blast would they only be able to upload at 50Mbps (on average) each, or could they all burst up to their full port speed between them (400Mbps) at the same time. Obviously the monthly bandwidth would have to be 200Mbps or less on average between them all.

I know using the traffic series would definitely give me what I want, but I want the extra bandwidth (in GB per month) that the SLA offers.

Thanks,

Nick.