OVH Community, your new community space.

VMware/ESX/ESXi/vSphere

makno
05-11-2009, 21:41
Quote Originally Posted by AdamD
D'oh, oh well.
I notice it lists 4 systems (vmware, virtuzzo, Xen and proxmox)

I'm wanting to run a windows and linux system on the same server, do you guys have any recommendations on what setup I should run?

Linux will be used for hosting websites, with the Virtualmin control panel
Windows will be used to run a single game server.
Sorry to burst in here but just one thing. As you want to run a game server i would suggest to find the binary for linux (generally speaking all servers i did run on my box performed better on linux) also the wine option could give problems with punkbuster.

marks
05-11-2009, 10:40
yes, the default kernels at OVh aren't modular kernels. If you want to use modules, you need to recompile your own kernel.

Winit
05-11-2009, 00:04
lsmod won't work until you have a kernel with module support.

ovhfan2
04-11-2009, 22:00
Thanks, Myatu. The OVH kernel on the server is 2.6.31.5-grsec-xxxx-std-ipv4-32 #1 SMP. Will the OpenVZ kernel install over that one without probs?

I am currently getting: [root@xxxxxxxxx ~]# lsmod
Opening /proc/modules: No such file or directory :-(

Myatu
04-11-2009, 21:44
As long as you're not using a netboot, it will (OpenVZ needs its own custom kernel). Have a look here for some guidance: http://wiki.openvz.org/Installation_on_Debian

Do note the current drivers in use (use lsmod). You'll need to have these same drivers available for the OpenVZ kernel.

ovhfan2
04-11-2009, 21:38
This question is for Myatu Will the OpenVZ kernel install (manually) on top of an OVH static kernel? The reason being I wanted to try some other VPS manager, instead of Proxmox.

derchris
03-11-2009, 21:31
Yes, give us our Bridge mode for VMs

Paw-Fox
03-11-2009, 21:29
Bump. - Any news on this? - The network seems to be complete, according to the trac system.

Myatu
19-10-2009, 19:51
Hehe. You can always give it a try and if it doesn't fit your needs, try something else again. That's the nice thing about having your own dedicated box (unless you're in a hurry and don't have time to tinker, of course).

AdamD
19-10-2009, 19:43
Thansk Myatu, very helpful indeed
Although now I'm not sure what to go with :P heh
I was going to choose Virtuzzo, as it seemed to be the recommended one by OVH
But now I'm not sure heh

Myatu
19-10-2009, 19:24
Proxmox is by far my favourite. The reason is that it's (currently) the only solution able to run both OpenVZ (also Virtuozzo's underlying VM) and KVM (similar to Xen).

If you're not familiar with the differences between the two, in short: KVM (as well as VMWare, Xen, VirtualBox, etc) *emulate* an entire computer system, including network devices, etc. OpenVZ compartmentalizes the host into secure, individual areas.

The obvious advantage is that OpenVZ makes better ( = faster) use of resources compared to full blown emulation. But the drawback is that it shares the Linux kernel. Given that Windows does not run on a Linux kernel you can't use this method.

Hence Proxmox uses both, so you can run both Linux in what is called containers, and other OSes (including Windows) in an emulated KVM, making a good balance between performance. Visit http://pve.proxmox.com for more information about it.

If you'd rather have one type of VM, then I'd say Xen is the way to go.

Now, one thing to note is that you mentioned a game server. Given a possibility of compatibility issues, you might actually be able to use Wine for Linux. A few would say "Never run a Windows-based server application with Wine", though basically this notion comes down to performance. Given that you're emulating an entire PC with Xen/VMWare/Proxmox, such performance differences -- IMO -- would be negligible.

Nice thing about OVH is that if you're not entirely happy with the OS, with a few clicks of a button you can have a completely different one installed, making trial-and-error a peace of cake!

Okay, I meant to make this short, so I'll step off my soap box now

AdamD
19-10-2009, 17:42
D'oh, oh well.
I notice it lists 4 systems (vmware, virtuzzo, Xen and proxmox)

I'm wanting to run a windows and linux system on the same server, do you guys have any recommendations on what setup I should run?

Linux will be used for hosting websites, with the Virtualmin control panel
Windows will be used to run a single game server.

derchris
19-10-2009, 00:39
Nope, just VMware server at the moment.
We are still waiting for the network changes to be done in order to use it properly.

AdamD
18-10-2009, 23:35
Ok I should've checked the OVH website before asking, apparently there's virtualization options available.
I assume that includes ESXi, given that it lists VMWare.

AdamD
18-10-2009, 20:34
would certainly be handy if ESXi was allowed, I was wondering if there'd been any news since this first post was created?

unclebob
08-09-2009, 09:26
Quote Originally Posted by derchris
I will jump one here, as nobody could answer this so far.
Does this mean that we are actually able to use bridge mode when using VMware or any other VM solution?
I think it means that we will be able to use any software which emulates MAC addresses and not have our servers blocked at the switch.

derchris
07-09-2009, 17:13
I will jump one here, as nobody could answer this so far.
Does this mean that we are actually able to use bridge mode when using VMware or any other VM solution?

Neil
07-09-2009, 10:43
Are making progress and are on the next stage, http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=3289

unclebob
05-09-2009, 16:23
Could a staff member update us on this?

http://travaux.ovh.com/?do=details&id=3187 looks like the security policy changes have been completed (Pourcentage effectué = full) but the last textual update states "Nous avons eu un probleme".

?

unclebob
05-08-2009, 09:05
You cannot install ESX yet

wil
04-08-2009, 22:17
Thank you, I am new to all of this (only ever had colocation in the UK and I did everything myself) With talks of Security policy e.t.c. I was just a bit confused.

freshwire
04-08-2009, 21:34
You might be able to install this yourself. But this news is about pre-installed support.

wil
04-08-2009, 20:51
I am just about to set up my first OVH Server, I saw the VMWare logo and just though ESX would work.

Sorry if I did not read this post properlly, I have a ISO of ESX (I am a licences customer) Is there actually something at OVH preventing the use of it or is the talk here just about licensing it direct via OVH?

Rahxie
30-06-2009, 00:39
This is great news! Please keep us updated.

Halide
28-06-2009, 21:58
Hello,
Once we have finished the change of policy on security
our network (see http://travaux.ovh.com/?do=details&id=3187) we will
propose the following VMware (everything is already prepared in 1 click installable but
the security policy of the network is such that you can not enjoy
fully VMware Ovh currently at risk of being blocked
the server is being changed).

There are different levels in VMware. You know, of course, and ESX
ESXi that allow the container to start and run in these
containers of Linux servers, Windows or whatever you want. Basically, do
VPS.

With vSphere you will be able to enjoy more of a set of tools
that allow you to manage your container, but on multiple servers
in parallel with external storage, high availability of your
VPS and all the features of switching a VPS from one server to a
another, changing settings of your VPS so. Basically have vCenter,
VMotion, Distributed Resource Scheduler, High Availability and Fault Tolerance
and with the Cisco Nexus 1000 to automatically change the configuration
network for a container such as a server to another server
seamless and Fiber Channel storage over Ethernet, which follows the
container through the datacentre).

These are the options payante VMware we will propose VPS
(a bit like Virtuozzo / Plesk). You can manage an infrastructure
hardware and run the containers on this infrastructure.

You will be able to start with free ESXi and manage your
containers (your VPS) and when you're ready or you'll need
you can add a layer vSphere to make your life easier
and offer "more" to your customers.

PS. I think that in September there will be enough technological
ovh.pro to start ... Services for SSII (the datacentre, the
network, hardware and administrators 24 / 7 to administer a
basic infrastructure).

Amicalement
Octave

oles@ovh.net
28-06-2009, 12:36
Hello,

once we've finished the change on the security policy in our network
(see http://travaux.ovh.com/?do=details&id=3187) we will propose
the following VMWare (everything is already prepared to install in 1 click
but the security policy of the network is such that you can not enjoy
fully VMware at OVH now at risk of being blocked, this is on the way to be changed).

There are different levels in VMWare. You probably know ESX and ESXi which allow
to start the containers and run in these containers Linux, Windows server or whatever
you want. Basically, run a VPS.

With vSphere, you'll enjoy more set of tools with which you will manage your containers
but in multiple servers in parallel with external storage, high availability of your VPS and
all the functionality of balancing a VPS from one server to another one, modification of
parameters of your VPSs, etc. Basically to have vCenter, VMotion, Distributed Resource
Scheduler, HighAvailability and Fault Tolerance, and with a Cisco's Nexus 1000 will allow
you to modify automatically the network configuration such as to move a container from
a server to another server without outage and with the Fibre Channel storage over Ethernet
which follows the container through the datacenter.

These are the VMWare payment options which we will propse for VPS (a bit like
Virtuozzo/Plesk). You will be able to manage thus a hardware infrastructure and run
the containers in this infrastructure.

You'll be able to start for free with ESXi and administer your containers (your VPSs)
and when you're ready or you need it, you will be able to add a vSphere layer to make
your life easier and offer "more" to your customers.

PS: I think that in September, there will be enough technological content to launch
ovh.pro .... the service for Information Technology Consulting companies (the datacentre, the network,
the hardware and administration 24/7 to manage a base infrastructure).

Sincerely,
Octave