OVH Community, your new community space.

wtf please help

DedicatedPros
03-07-2009, 14:17
Not you Andy o0

Just kidding man, I totally want to be your bestest friend

freshwire
03-07-2009, 13:16
Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedPros
Ahh and here I though we were going to start a lifelong friendship
We can be bestest friends

DedicatedPros
03-07-2009, 11:45
Ahh and here I though we were going to start a lifelong friendship

Andy
03-07-2009, 11:30
Thats it, you're all blocked!

DedicatedPros
03-07-2009, 11:28
Haha I have yet to abuse Andy's welcoming help

freshwire
03-07-2009, 04:17
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
By the way I blocked you on my msn messenger because I don't have time for people who can't grasp simple questions and appear to just waste my time.
How has he not blocked me yet ..

DedicatedPros
02-07-2009, 19:47
Myatu, you pulled those words right out of my mouth The grammar was really hard to understand, using the English dictionary in Firefox (or whatever browser your're using) would have made me like that guy so much more

Myatu
02-07-2009, 18:33
Quote Originally Posted by ballistix
2009-07-02 01:17:38 (27.6 MB/s)

that wa while the linux files were still uploading as well
1) It doesn't matter if you were still uploading - the NICs work in full-duplex mode.

2) As for the speeds, 27.6 MB/s is not a bad figure at all. You have to remember that the speed is dedicated on BOTH the remote AND your side.

That is, if you're capable of doing 1Gbps, but the remote is limited to 10 Mbits, then I'm sorry to say, you will not get up- or download speeds faster than the remote's 10 Mbits.

3) Don't immediately assume it's a problem with OVH's network. Again, it has to do with point #2. Even if both you AND the remote can sustain 1Gbps, it does not mean it will be 100% dedicated to you only. The remote may have 30 other connections going on at the same time on an average day - thus having to split the 1 Gbps over those 30 connections. Let's say one particular day it releases a high-demand file, suddenly it will have to deal with 100 connections. Now it has to split the 1 Gbps over 100 connections, and you WILL experience slower download speeds.

4) And, having to do with #3, let's say you and the remote both have 1 Gbps and you are the ONLY connection. Great, you can get 1 Gbps speeds now! Or can you? Well, it depends on who's between you and the remote. If it's a server within OVH, then sure, it's likely you can reach almost 100% of your 1 Gbps speed. But if it's located elsewhere, then it has to be routed through dozens of different routers/switches, each slowing your speed by a tiny fraction. If one (or more) routers along the way have problems - which happens to anyone - you might incur an extra loss of speed. All in all, you never get the full 1 Gbps speed to ANY other server.

5) Kimsufi servers are "As Is". They are sandboxes. They are "We will try, but can't guarantee" servers. They are DIY servers. I'm not sure how much clearer I can make that...

6) its kinda hard to understand what you are saying when you are not using any punctuations capitalizations or other emphasis other than a question mark so that will make answering them a lot harder as well i hope you understand what i mean with that?

DedicatedPros
02-07-2009, 10:08
lol

tim2718281
02-07-2009, 10:01
yes because no one told me they were goin to do a intervention so i thought obviously it was broke,so thats what happened they did a intervention without my know how,did they find a problem cos ive just renewed for the month and speeds are crap no faster than 150mbit shouldnt i at least get 300mbit due to sata 2 not bein able to write/read faster than that cos im disappointed in this gigabit i upgraded from the 2XL and the speed isnt much different in download upload speed is a little better and it downloads and uploads at same time faster i just feel im missing something,i think it was a dodgy HDD because i get very high server loads AT NIGHT,at first my cpu was only running at 1600mhz instead of the 2400mhz it should that got fixed but still it hasnt helped.i paid yesterday is it possible to get full refund so i can rent a OVH best of at the same price?
thanks in advance...Dan
I think if you have a SATA 5400ropm disk when the gigabit connection is in full duplex on the software peer-to-peer connection then the RAM cache on the CPU burst speed going up to power consumption exceeds the fan rated capacity when paying by direct debit.

Andy
02-07-2009, 09:34
Its possible to get over 100Mbps upload if its internal to OVH, and only in that situation. Otherwise its 100Mbps to the internet and 1Gbps down if the server is 1Gbps.

By the way I blocked you on my msn messenger because I don't have time for people who can't grasp simple questions and appear to just waste my time.

gigabit
02-07-2009, 00:35
Don't use broadband speed checkers to test the line speeds of 100mbit or 1gbit servers, it isn't acurate since they use a small file to determine your speed.

What we're saying is that downloads TO the server can go at 1Gbit, but uploads out from the server can not exceed 100Mbit. That is OVH to Internet - OVH to OVH is unlimited at 1Gbit (i think).

The only way you can test your speed for sure is uploading a file from your server to another server hosted elsewhere, with a gigabit connection.

DedicatedPros
02-07-2009, 00:12
Ah, well then you're using P2P, which is very unstable when it comes to speeds above 100Mbit. I get about 8-10MB/s upload on my servers on average, sometimes bursting to 30MB/s for a few seconds, but that has nothing to do with my server. Peer to peer connection speeds vary on a lot of things, especially your settings within your torrent client, so unless you try something like a multithreaded ftp download/upload, you can't know for sure.

What you just posted is download info, not upload as you mentioned.

ballistix
02-07-2009, 00:11
also

Length: 732766208 (699M) [application/x-iso9660-image]
Saving to: `ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso'

100%[======================================>] 732,766,208 19.1M/s in 25s

2009-07-02 01:17:38 (27.6 MB/s) - `ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso' saved [732766208/732766208]

root@ks28785:~# --2009-04-12 20:59:18-- http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.10/ubun...sktop-i386.iso

ballistix
01-07-2009, 23:54
what protocol?

these are linux torrents

DedicatedPros
01-07-2009, 23:38
What protocol are you using for these connections?

ballistix
01-07-2009, 23:32
its rising

Month's Transfer: 129.19 GB
Week's Transfer: 129.19 GB
Today's Transfer: 73.22 GB

Other Server Stats
Download Speed: 0.00 (0.00) kB/s
Upload Speed: 19,757.80 (0.00) kB/s
Total Speed: 19,757.80 (0.00) kB/s
Connections: 19 (0)
Drive Space: 145.64 GB
Server Load: 2.52

but the server load looks high

and higher

Other Server Stats
Upload Speed: 23,816.00 (0.00) kB/s
Total Speed: 23,816.00 (0.00) kB/s
Connections: 19 (0)
Server Load: 2.77

ballistix
01-07-2009, 23:28
Quote Originally Posted by gigabit
Your upload speed will not exceed 100Mbits (12.8MB/s). That is the outgoing speed the Kimsufi servers are limited to.
not when its connected to more than one ovh giga,ive seen my upload speed at 300mbit in the first 3 weeks i owned it,so thats wrong.
if i run a speedtest when ive got the ubuntu desktop i get around 28MB\s here ill show u ive got one here :-

gigabit
01-07-2009, 23:24
Your upload speed will not exceed 100Mbits (12.8MB/s). That is the outgoing speed the Kimsufi servers are limited to.

ballistix
01-07-2009, 23:21
i have one server the 4XL which is now only doin 100mbit max and thats connected to 3 OVH gigabits so somethings wrong im sick of it tbh ive had it 2mnth now and the first 3 weeks it was perfect now its a bag of wasted money and no one at ovh helps they just say its not the server when it obviously is

Other Server Stats
Upload Speed: 9,354.70 (0.00) kB/s
Total Speed: 9,354.70 (0.00) kB/s
Connections: 38 (0)
Server Load: 1.46

and donesnt the load look high..
oh sorry its connected to 6 ovh giga's

Andy
01-07-2009, 22:58
Whoops I'll change it in the original post now.

Myatu
01-07-2009, 22:41
Should read:

ballistix
01-07-2009, 21:22
thanks alot,is there any tips for noobs to optimise that little extra out of them.Thanks

Andy
01-07-2009, 21:22
Kimsufi.co.uk Servers
  • Kimsufi has an infrastructure of 100Mbps until you reach 10 servers then it increases by 10Mbps per server up to a maximum of 1Gbps.
  • This gives you 50Mbps per server if you have 2 servers, or 10Mbps per server if you have 10 servers, etc.
  • You will always get 10Mbps per server guaranteed while your infrastructure remains below 1Gbps.
OVH.co.uk Servers
  • OVH servers have an infrastructure of 200Mbps until you reach 8 servers then it increases by 25Mbps per server up to a maximum of 2.5Gbps.
  • This gives you 100Mbps per server if you have 2 servers, or 25Mbps per server if you have 8 servers, etc.
  • You will always get 25Mbps per server guaranteed while your infrastructure remains below 2.5Gbps.

DedicatedPros
01-07-2009, 21:19
Depends on a lot of things, for example the protocol you're using, your current sever load, your connection load, the connection load of the other servers, your download speed, your hard drives etc. But if you're the only person connected to those servers, and you have 1gbit download with a SATA2 drive over a protocol such as multithreaded ftp/http download than yes, you will get about 400Mbps.

ballistix
01-07-2009, 21:14
and another thing.
will say 4 x 100mbit servers from ovh that are connected to me incoming would i not get the 400mbit as there seperate servers.
Andy ill addu to msan cos i think i need to be told some stuff thanks..ballistix

Andy
01-07-2009, 19:34
He said he was downloading something, so the server could be anywhere as OVH provides gbit download on the 4XL & 8XL.
Very true.

DedicatedPros
01-07-2009, 19:16
He said he was downloading something, so the server could be anywhere as OVH provides gbit download on the 4XL & 8XL.

Andy
01-07-2009, 18:56
Or perhaps he is confusing the units?

Add me on MSN. My address is in my sig. E-mails do NOT reach me through that address.

freshwire
01-07-2009, 16:57
73MB/s? Maybe other server is inside OVH?

Besides the Standard SLA is for OVH to Internet not the reverse.

DedicatedPros
01-07-2009, 11:36
Don't get your panties in a bunch That's what I though, but as I said, I was wrong.

ballistix
01-07-2009, 11:18
For some reason I always thought the Kimsufi range had IDE drives, guess I was wrong huh
what no ive been told by a tech they have sata II if there IDE then thats not good

ballistix
01-07-2009, 11:17
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
ballistix,

All Kimsufi servers have 100Mbps to the internet. No OVH server has 1Gbps without paying extra for the bandwidth (we're talking ~900 for 1Gbps). You have a 1Gbps port, which allows you 1Gbps download and 1Gbps inside the OVH network, but only 100Mbps upload. It is clearly stated on the Kimsufi homepage.

As for interventions, all interventions are scheduled and an e-mail is sent to your primary e-mail address. If you don't have *@ovh.co.uk in your white list then you may not receive the e-mail and it could go into junk mail. Similarly if you host the primary e-mail address on the server in question that is offline, you'll never receive it.

The intervention system is automatic. If the server goes offline (stops responding to ping for longer than a few minutes) the system will schedule the intervention itself so someone can get the server back online for you if you're not available to do so. You can turn the system off if you want to in the Manager.

SATAII has a port speed of 3Gbps, but most single disks can handle at most 800Mbps (100MB/s or so), and that is when writing linearly, not randomly as you will find in most real life tests. Speed can drop by a factor of 10 or more when reading/writing randomly to the disk (especially a heavily fragmented one).

I hope this information clears a few things up for you.
this i understand and this is good enough for me but ive hit something like 73MB\s downloading a app from somwehere is that a lie of is it possible to download at this speed.
Im happy with my server but I had the 2XL and that was alot slower never went above 90mbit upload this is perfect,I wish i knew more about linux tbh im not very good at linux.can i PM you a question please ANDY its quid and easy for u to answer i just dont wanna make it public.
thanks everyone thats helping/also please dont critisize you were all n00bs once so if ur not now no need to be big headed.thank you.

also what happens if i change my traffic from standard to traffic?

Neil
01-07-2009, 10:40
yes because no one told me they were goin to do a intervention so i thought obviously it was broke,so thats what happened they did a intervention without my know how,did they find a problem cos ive just renewed for the month and speeds are crap no faster than 150mbit shouldnt i at least get 300mbit due to sata 2 not bein able to write/read faster than that cos im disappointed in this gigabit i upgraded from the 2XL and the speed isnt much different in download upload speed is a little better and it downloads and uploads at same time faster i just feel im missing something,i think it was a dodgy HDD because i get very high server loads AT NIGHT,at first my cpu was only running at 1600mhz instead of the 2400mhz it should that got fixed but still it hasnt helped.i paid yesterday is it possible to get full refund so i can rent a OVH best of at the same price?
thanks in advance...Dan
If we are able to ping servers and they go offline we seclude an intervention automatically , this can be for any reason, maybe someone has setup a firewall or the server hardware or can even be because some typed shutdown and not reboot. When an intervention is scheduled we send an email to let you know this has happened and when it has finished.

Regarding your CPU Angie has shown you the CPU output which is cpu MHz: 2394.000.

The Bandwidth has also I think has been answered by Andy.

DedicatedPros
01-07-2009, 10:32
For some reason I always thought the Kimsufi range had IDE drives, guess I was wrong huh

Andy
01-07-2009, 10:15
ballistix,

All Kimsufi servers have 100Mbps to the internet. No OVH server has 1Gbps without paying extra for the bandwidth (we're talking ~900 for 1Gbps). You have a 1Gbps port, which allows you 1Gbps download and 1Gbps inside the OVH network, but only 100Mbps upload. It is clearly stated on the Kimsufi homepage.

As for interventions, all interventions are scheduled and an e-mail is sent to your primary e-mail address. If you don't have *@ovh.co.uk in your white list then you may not receive the e-mail and it could go into junk mail. Similarly if you host the primary e-mail address on the server in question that is offline, you'll never receive it.

The intervention system is automatic. If the server goes offline (stops responding to ping for longer than a few minutes) the system will schedule the intervention itself so someone can get the server back online for you if you're not available to do so. You can turn the system off if you want to in the Manager.

SATAII has a port speed of 3Gbps, but most single disks can handle at most 800Mbps (100MB/s or so), and that is when writing linearly, not randomly as you will find in most real life tests. Speed can drop by a factor of 10 or more when reading/writing randomly to the disk (especially a heavily fragmented one).

I hope this information clears a few things up for you.

ballistix
01-07-2009, 09:22
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Did you reboot the server after taking it out of Rescue Mode? I do not see a hard reboot after changing the neboot kernel.

Regarding the re installations that happened yesterday they all look fine, except the Ubuntu 8.10 Server that evening (17:28:30) that had to be relaunched, however after the installation was completed a technician checked the server (Which is on ticket number #151076). You also decided to install it again and that installation was fine.
thanks in advance...Dan

Neil
01-07-2009, 09:16
Did you reboot the server after taking it out of Rescue Mode? I do not see a hard reboot after changing the neboot kernel.

Regarding the re installations that happened yesterday they all look fine, except the Ubuntu 8.10 Server that evening (17:28:30) that had to be relaunched, however after the installation was completed a technician checked the server (Which is on ticket number #151076). You also decided to install it again and that installation was fine.

ballistix
30-06-2009, 22:56
ks28785.kimsufi.com

no corespondance at all

Neil
30-06-2009, 22:36
What is the server/ip address? It maybe that the installations are failing and it is waiting on an intervention, have you received incident tickets with your server going offline?

ballistix
30-06-2009, 22:10
right desktop versions install but not basic insrtallations,can some one from OVH contact me please or ANDY IF UR ABOUT BUD?

ballistix
30-06-2009, 21:50
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
The forum for Kimsufi servers is located at http://forum.kimsufi.co.uk/. Nevertheless, were you formatting the system through OVH's Manager or another method? If the latter, you likely had the Server Monitoring service enabled and it found that your server wasn't responding (logically, you were formatting it).

Disable the Server Monitoring for now, change the boot mode to vKVM (not HD) and do a hard reboot. You will receive an e-mail in about 10-15 minutes with the details on how to access your server.

Follow those instructions (visit the URL, type in the username/password provided in the e-mail) and start the server (if you had a 64-bits version installed, make sure to check the box for 64-bits as well!). At this point, a Java window will appear and you'll see your server booting up.

You can now access the server with your usual root credentials. Be sure to check your networking interfaces (do they have the IP, netmask and gateway assigned?), etc. Once you're sure everything is setup properly, you can change the Boot Mode from vKVM to HD and restart the server again.

If you did this through the OVH manager on the other hand, you should retry installing the OS again (note: Doing so will delete all current data).
I cant do any thing at all i was doing it through OVH manager everytime i try and do anything u suggested I get this response same if i try to reformat heres the error i get "Server state inhibits this function"
thanks

Myatu
30-06-2009, 21:35
The forum for Kimsufi servers is located at http://forum.kimsufi.co.uk/. Nevertheless, were you formatting the system through OVH's Manager or another method? If the latter, you likely had the Server Monitoring service enabled and it found that your server wasn't responding (logically, you were formatting it).

Disable the Server Monitoring for now, change the boot mode to vKVM (not HD) and do a hard reboot. You will receive an e-mail in about 10-15 minutes with the details on how to access your server.

Follow those instructions (visit the URL, type in the username/password provided in the e-mail) and start the server (if you had a 64-bits version installed, make sure to check the box for 64-bits as well!). At this point, a Java window will appear and you'll see your server booting up.

You can now access the server with your usual root credentials. Be sure to check your networking interfaces (do they have the IP, netmask and gateway assigned?), etc. Once you're sure everything is setup properly, you can change the Boot Mode from vKVM to HD and restart the server again.

If you did this through the OVH manager on the other hand, you should retry installing the OS again (note: Doing so will delete all current data).

ballistix
30-06-2009, 20:33
i phoned its out of office time,ive emailed with no luck my kimsufi is the 4XL I wis in between formatting it when it happened.I use server ubuntu with lamp webmin.
thanks its the 4XL

DedicatedPros
30-06-2009, 20:29
If you want someone to help you describe your situation better (ie. your os, what kind of server [rps,kimsufi,pro], any recent software configurations etc.), or if you want OVH to help you phone or email them.

ballistix
30-06-2009, 20:24
up until this afternoon my server has been stuck in rescue mode i cant change it back to hd boot,lately its been acting like a cheap piece of crap but i love my giga can someone please let me know whats goin on as no one sent me anything to warn me itd be down,thanks....Dan