OVH Community, your new community space.

IP Address Question

Ashley
06-07-2009, 11:03
I have changed my Google language settings to pirate.

So when I use OVH as an HTTP proxy I can almost understand the French versions of the site.

DedicatedPros
05-07-2009, 17:35
I know, I know, I've spent the last few days reading through forums, blogs, and sites about SEO, I'm just finishing my site up before I go advertising it

gigabit
05-07-2009, 17:18
Google does use the IPs, but not by default. When you do a normal search it ignores IPs and their countries, but if you use the "Websites from UK only" or "Websites from France only" option - depending on your local google search - then they use the IPs and TLDs to determine wether to include your site or not.

If you want a better page rank you need to get more sites linking in to your site. Thats one of the main things Google use to determine where a site should be in the results.

DedicatedPros
05-07-2009, 17:11
zomg im so p0pul4r

Ok, I guess the server location doesn't really matter for SEO

gigabit
05-07-2009, 17:06
OVH dont offer US IP addresses and they also wont allow you to use any random IP adress from other places.

Anyway, IP adresses don't affect the rank much (if at all) but it doesn't matter since youre on the first page for google.co.uk too!

DedicatedPros
05-07-2009, 16:08
I have a website that's currently hosted in the US but I was considering ovh for web hosting and have a somewhat basic question. If I were to get an American IP address, unbind it so that it's not in use on any server, could I bind it to an OVH server? I read its really good SEO if you want your site to be well listed on google.com and mine shows up on the very first page when you look up "ovh reseller" so I'd like to keep it that way I'm not sure if there is any kind of protection put on IP addresses so they cannot be moved around as we please, but with OVH we can use IPs from France, Germany, UK, Poland, and all the likes