OVH Community, your new community space.

vBulletin

DedicatedPros
22-07-2009, 16:30
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
You might want to look at this website http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts...d=5&cat=Forums, it is great you can try out forums and there admin panels, they reset afters 2 hours so you can break them and it does not matter!
Nice I've been looking for a good and easy way to implement a forum into m whmcs install, now I have a sandbox

Neil
22-07-2009, 16:07
You might want to look at this website http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts...d=5&cat=Forums, it is great you can try out forums and there admin panels, they reset afters 2 hours so you can break them and it does not matter!

freshwire
22-07-2009, 15:41
Then I'm ready and waiting for 'elvis1' to be a very active member of the forum

elvis1
22-07-2009, 09:20
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
And then you get CRAZY people like myself who make their own forum software just for a single (not that popular) website

http://www.web-starters.net/

100% coded by myself with the exception of one file called browser.js
jaw dropper dude

Ashley
13-07-2009, 11:15
I prefer phpBB3 over vBulletin any day. IPB running a close second.

ezdub
12-07-2009, 09:01
PLease dont shout at me.

But I do like the invision power board, lots of skins apps and very easy to use.

I have tried the other but never really got on with them.

DedicatedPros
11-07-2009, 14:22
It all depends on how you modify the software, for example the default vb theme that's used on all the OVH forums just drives me insane. I mean there are tons of nice free themes that you could use, not asking for a uniquely designed theme or anything

pete_w
11-07-2009, 14:13
Can't stand phpbb at all. vBulletin is still the best forum software out there imo, although it does seem to be losing its way lately adding what i feel for many are pointless additions in recent times. Out of the freebies SMF is my favourite.

*Mikee*
11-07-2009, 14:06
Yeah i agree with all Andy says + I own a legal license for vb but i dont use it all my forums are phpbb based since i prefer phpbb
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Yes I also find this annoying. phpBB is far better than all the forum software I have tried, and that's why I chose it for my own website. It's faster, better looking, easier to design templates for and it actually works properly, unlike vBulletin...

freshwire
10-07-2009, 22:03
At one point I did promote it a lot but really it's not going anywhere so now I prefer to use my little contact page in my signature.

gigabit
10-07-2009, 22:03
Congrats monkey, IMO thats a really nice skin! And well done on actually programming it all! I'm impressed

Myatu
10-07-2009, 22:00
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
And then you get CRAZY people like myself who make their own forum software just for a single (not that popular) website

You ought to add that site to your signature... Plug it!

Very nicely done though. I like the added touch of the SQL and PHP stats on the left...

freshwire
10-07-2009, 21:07
Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedPros
Holy s**t Looks sweet, must have taken forever to code, but wouldn't it be simpler to just play around with phpbb or some other free software until you get what you want
Several months

jibbajabba
10-07-2009, 20:18
I'm not a big fan of vbulletin.. more of a mybb fan

Neil
10-07-2009, 17:34
Quote Originally Posted by gigabit
phpBB's much better
Yeah phpBB is great, shame about the development hell they had in 2005/2006

DedicatedPros
10-07-2009, 17:33
Holy s**t Looks sweet, must have taken forever to code, but wouldn't it be simpler to just play around with phpbb or some other free software until you get what you want

freshwire
10-07-2009, 16:51

Andy
10-07-2009, 12:50
Yes I also find this annoying. phpBB is far better than all the forum software I have tried, and that's why I chose it for my own website. It's faster, better looking, easier to design templates for and it actually works properly, unlike vBulletin...

DedicatedPros
10-07-2009, 10:44
Or, the option to 'Mark Forums Read'

Myatu
10-07-2009, 10:21
It is indeed annoying. But, that's where the "Open in new tab" comes in handy

DedicatedPros
10-07-2009, 08:41
The truth is I've only seen it on this forum, maybe its a bug in the version used or some other error :/

gigabit
10-07-2009, 00:01
At least phpBB cant handle read/unread topics properly!

dansgalaxy
09-07-2009, 23:54
Quote Originally Posted by gigabit
phpBB's much better
Ew

vBulletin is THE only option if you are going to pay.

If you just want free MyBB is ok but nothing is as good as VBulletin from what i have seen and used

gigabit
09-07-2009, 20:07
phpBB's much better

DedicatedPros
09-07-2009, 19:53
Well vBulletin is the most commonly used forum programming, and that's for a reason Its very customizable, is supported to co work with other systems, and has a lot of nice addons.

freshwire
09-07-2009, 19:48
It IS annoying

gigabit
09-07-2009, 16:52
Is it just me or is vBulletin slighly annoying?

Particularily the whole unread/read topics thing... If you read all the unread topics in a forum then you go straight back to the index page, the forum still has the "unread posts" icon. You then have to go into the forum - all posts display as unread - then go backup to the index and then the unread icon dissapears.

The other thing was when I came on here earlier and saw most forums had some new posts but i only went into the Dedicated Servers forum to read things there. I then decided to come back later to read the other posts but when i arrived all the forums were showing as being read.

Edit: even after i posted this, i went back to the index and it said "unread posts" for the general forum, which was my own post!