OVH Community, your new community space.

Why doesn't OVH offer 24/7 support?

DedicatedPros
10-07-2009, 14:52
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
It is possible because the HG series has 1Gbps NIC, and you get up to 200Mbps upload on a 1Gbps NIC
Not on the traffic series Traffic is always limited to 100Mbps global upload, even on the HG series.

dansgalaxy
10-07-2009, 13:10
Its all in the details!

Andy
10-07-2009, 13:03
Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedPros
They offer 40TB/month 100Mbps on the HG series o0 Technically that's impossible but you see how good OVH is to us
It is possible because the HG series has 1Gbps NIC, and you get up to 200Mbps upload on a 1Gbps NIC

dansgalaxy
10-07-2009, 12:55
It probably depends on the level of servers and trafic plan you have.

I know the guy I was getting a shoutcast reseller from was always complaining about OVH wanting to charge extra for bandwidth, and when I spoke to sales before signing up and they said if I were to be using more than 5+ish of TB/month i would probably need to upgrade to a higher traffic plan.

DedicatedPros
10-07-2009, 12:54
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
OVH have never questioned anyone I know about their usage and some of them regularly go over 10TB/month no problem. OVH don't know what your bandwidth usage is so why should they "ask questions"? It's none of their business unless you're somehow breaking the law.

If they can't offer the 34TB/month 100Mbps offers then they shouldn't offer it. Simple as that. They do offer it, and they can and will supply it.
They offer 40TB/month 100Mbps on the HG series o0 Technically that's impossible but you see how good OVH is to us

Andy
10-07-2009, 12:51
OVH have never questioned anyone I know about their usage and some of them regularly go over 10TB/month no problem. OVH don't know what your bandwidth usage is so why should they "ask questions"? It's none of their business unless you're somehow breaking the law.

If they can't offer the 34TB/month 100Mbps offers then they shouldn't offer it. Simple as that. They do offer it, and they can and will supply it.

DedicatedPros
10-07-2009, 12:50
I've never experienced OVH asking me why I use a lot of bandwith, and I've gone up to 8.5TB once, and still nothing from OVH.

True more sales reps would bring in more revenue, but as you can see OVH is out of stock on a lot of servers/addons atm, so I don't think they need the extra sales. Also hiring more reps for all the subsidiaries of OVH will be costly (think 11 subsidiaries, that's about 4 extra reps per a working session which is usually 8 hours, so 12 extra reps to work 24/7 which is 132 extra personnel), which will raise the server prices, which I don't want.

dansgalaxy
10-07-2009, 12:19
OVH's support isn't great, but I've learned to live with it, and as monkey5667 stated, you get what you pay for. Tell me this, can you get an unmetered 100Mbit anywhere else for just 20pounds? No.
I would argue that, yes you get more than you would else where but it still has limitations, and after speaking with support they have a rough limit which they start asking questions at (around 5TB+) which if you look at most dedi servers you would expect to get 4TB so while i don't deny its bloody good, its not head over hells amazing when you look at it... especially if your running more than a handful of servers as you will have to pay (a lot) more / server to get a decent connection.

My point is though, the extra support is of massive benefit, and I can almost guarantee having sales people on live chat would drive masses more sales, as i know that's one thing which really put me off to begin that i could just have a quick chat to a sales person online.

DedicatedPros
10-07-2009, 12:08
Quote Originally Posted by dansgalaxy
Hehe... I can be like that. I'm sure Webhosting UK have put a note on my account about this... had it a few times when you get the support rep who doesn't know Apache from the DNS.

I disagree, to be frank they don't offer that good a support, with webhosting UK (which i have a very large VPS, which i might add i have an amazing deal on too) and get full support on most things with them, but still often they are little help because they simply don't know, BUT you still have a support person to deal with your account which currently don't have with OVH.

At the moment I can't get in contact with OVH and say, Ok so i ordered this xxxx you told me @ 5.30pm it would be setup within an hour and i will get an email with what i needed to do. I have nothing help me get this sorted.

Instead I have to wait nearly half a day before I can call them again which could be critical, for example I ordered additional storage and was told i should have it on-line in a few hours, I needed this because i need the space for backup as my main server is almost out of space...

I have probably explained this poorly, but my point is I am not expecting world class support, just to be able (at the least) to be able to talk to someone (be it live chat or phone) and get account/server admin problems sorted ASAP.
OVH's support isn't great, but I've learned to live with it, and as monkey5667 stated, you get what you pay for. Tell me this, can you get an unmetered 100Mbit anywhere else for just 20pounds? No.

dansgalaxy
10-07-2009, 11:48
Well most of the time you would respond normally, but once you get that annoying customer that's a real techie himself and starts badgering you about information that's hidden somewhere deep on the website is annoying at best.
Hehe... I can be like that. I'm sure Webhosting UK have put a note on my account about this... had it a few times when you get the support rep who doesn't know Apache from the DNS.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
You get what you pay for. OVH offers great prices.. you can't expect world class support as well... specially when you get such a great network / spec for that price.
I disagree, to be frank they don't offer that good a support, with webhosting UK (which i have a very large VPS, which i might add i have an amazing deal on too) and get full support on most things with them, but still often they are little help because they simply don't know, BUT you still have a support person to deal with your account which currently don't have with OVH.

At the moment I can't get in contact with OVH and say, Ok so i ordered this xxxx you told me @ 5.30pm it would be setup within an hour and i will get an email with what i needed to do. I have nothing help me get this sorted.

Instead I have to wait nearly half a day before I can call them again which could be critical, for example I ordered additional storage and was told i should have it on-line in a few hours, I needed this because i need the space for backup as my main server is almost out of space...

I have probably explained this poorly, but my point is I am not expecting world class support, just to be able (at the least) to be able to talk to someone (be it live chat or phone) and get account/server admin problems sorted ASAP.

freshwire
10-07-2009, 11:35
You get what you pay for. OVH offers great prices.. you can't expect world class support as well... specially when you get such a great network / spec for that price.

DedicatedPros
10-07-2009, 10:46
Well most of the time you would respond normally, but once you get that annoying customer that's a real techie himself and starts badgering you about information that's hidden somewhere deep on the website is annoying at best.

fozl
10-07-2009, 10:07
With livesupport, just like with email, they can choose not to respond. With phone support on the other hand, we've got them cornered
We'd never choose not to respond! I beleive live-chat is planned though.

DedicatedPros
10-07-2009, 08:40
With livesupport, just like with email, they can choose not to respond. With phone support on the other hand, we've got them cornered

dansgalaxy
10-07-2009, 01:09
I dont mind either way as long as I can get decent support when I need it.

Euan
10-07-2009, 00:57
In a post in another thread they said that it is coming soon tm' to the UK. I must admit I prefer phone support over live chat.

dansgalaxy
10-07-2009, 00:49
Why doesn't OVH offer 24/7 support like most companies like them half their size!

And why can't we get online chat support which would be much cheaper for both end users and support staff as they can often handle more requests this way.

Rather frustrating having to wait till morning to try and get things sorted out and figure out what's going on