OVH Community, your new community space.

My server os got reinstalled without me knowing

gigabit
16-07-2009, 16:40
It's IP based. And only the main IP of your server, not any failovers.

DedicatedPros
16-07-2009, 14:02
When you say only the server has access, is that restricted by IP/Mac addresses or by other means? Technically I could proxy my connection through my server and spoof the MAC address and get a hold of the backups, which could be fairly unsafe for me if I do webhosting or any other kind of shared service. Please post more info on how the backups are secured please

Neil
16-07-2009, 13:16
Well the FTP Backup servers are just SAN's with RAID 5, but we strongly recommend you have local backup's as well, remember that only the server can access the FTP Backup for security.

Myatu
16-07-2009, 11:33
Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedPros
I was wondering, are you guys using OVH's ftp backup feauture? How does it work, and does it work well? Personally I backup my website to my home computer, but for larger use a fast server might come in handy
I use OVH's FTP servers - all data is gzipped and encrypted before it goes on the FTP server, so it'll leaves space for doing incremental backups as well. Never had any problems with it and really appreciate this service from OVH You don't get this at many other places...!

DedicatedPros
16-07-2009, 11:19
Cron eh? Will try, will fail, will ask again and again, might succeed

Andy
16-07-2009, 10:39
I decided the easiest way would be to backup to home, even with my 0.5Mbps upload. Sure I'd have a little more downtime than an offsite backup with a faster connection but its much easier to manage backups on your own server with root access rather than shared hosting.

Neil
16-07-2009, 10:23
Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedPros
I'm thinking about an off site solution other than my home pc, I figure shared webhosting could do the job, just have a php script access the remote server and dl the MySQL db every 6 hours, just wish I had the know how to do this
You could do that with a Cron Job, getting them working can be a pain but they were reliable once they work.

DedicatedPros
16-07-2009, 10:22
I'm thinking about an off site solution other than my home pc, I figure shared webhosting could do the job, just have a php script access the remote server and dl the MySQL db every 6 hours, just wish I had the know how to do this

Andy
16-07-2009, 09:56
100mb? Thats nothing! Try 14GB And thats not including the 938GB of downloads either

I use a combination of SyncBackSE and my own PHP script built on RD and XCOPY to keep archives.

jibbajabba
16-07-2009, 00:06
i download backups onto my home computer then onto my external hdd, file size is just under 100mb so it don't take long to download.
I've got my sites back up and running now, 5 hours down time aint bad. if i have to pay extra for windows standard edition i'll get annoyed, i was using web edition before this.

Andy
15-07-2009, 23:01
I backup to home also. I don't trust OVH's backups. Especially if for some reason my server/account is suspended and I have no access to any of my data.

DedicatedPros
15-07-2009, 22:49
I was wondering, are you guys using OVH's ftp backup feauture? How does it work, and does it work well? Personally I backup my website to my home computer, but for larger use a fast server might come in handy

jibbajabba
15-07-2009, 22:16
aye i know, been reading these forums for a while just been too lazy to sign up.
oh well i have the awesome job sorting out my server.. reinstall everything :/

Andy
15-07-2009, 22:00
Thought I recognised the name, I'm abyssunderground from there

jibbajabba
15-07-2009, 21:55
Staff: This thread can be deleted!!

jibbajabba
15-07-2009, 21:42
yep its same one. i've just checked the incident ticket which i eventually found, the main hdd has been replaced.

wackomoo
15-07-2009, 21:40
Did you get it through a reseller or directly from OVH?

Andy
15-07-2009, 21:35
OVH never reinstall your OS, you have to do it yourself via the manager. Are you sure your security has not been compromised and someone has hit reinstall on your server?

BTW are you the same jibbajabba from aprelium.com?

jibbajabba
15-07-2009, 21:31
I'm quite shocked.. i've lost everything on the server i never asked for the os to be reinstalled, just emailed ovh support about it to find out what the hell happened, won't get a reply now until tommorrow.