OVH Community, your new community space.

Storage server woes :( ns304900.ovh.net

rickyday
29-07-2009, 22:31
Fingers crossed Marks, all seems well at the moment

My faith has been restored in OVH.

marks
29-07-2009, 10:07
yes, if you find more problems, please, give us a call. This looks like quite a long issue, and if this hasn't been sorted with the last intervention on the 27th, then we'll check it more in deep.

... and ill be experiencing for the first time OVH's top notch telephone support
I see that the word's spreading fast!!!

rickyday
28-07-2009, 18:12
Well I have installed Web server 2008 and I havent had one crash all day (unlike the crashes i had previously on 2003 AND 2008)
Im in no way getting my hopes up because there has been no load on the server at all yet, but one sniff of a (network adapter) crash or unexpected crash and ill be experiencing for the first time OVH's top notch telephone support

DedicatedPros
27-07-2009, 21:25
Once you threaten a chargeback they should do it, those are extremely costly in the ecommerce business and after you get a few merchant providers tend to stay away from you

Andy
27-07-2009, 21:18
I believe you should be entitled to a refund or replacement + compensation because the server has not been fit for purpose (also remember the distance selling regulations).

If OVH won't do this, do a charge-back on your card.

rickyday
27-07-2009, 18:56
Date: 2009-07-27 17:11:03

The intervention on ns304900.ovh.net is over.

This operation was closed on 2009-07-27 17:11:03

Here are the details of this operation:
Network connector

If you need any further information regarding this
intervention, please
do not hesitate to contact our technical support

The problem is still happening server is losing connection, is the network connector being replaced? if onboard is the mobo being replaced? We are only on Monday and this is already ruining my week.........
Ive had a server now for 11 days and it has not been stable for 1 single day without a crash or reboot.

What exactly were the installation issues with this server that delayed its deployment, because im beginning to think ive been given a dud server here OVH.

Can I have this server replaced? Please OVH?

rickyday
27-07-2009, 18:51
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
There is a problem with Realtek networks cards and Linux, the problem was fixed in Kernel 2.6.28.4 and above, if the kernel on the Linux server is 2.6.27 then it would be affected by the problem.

You can update the Kernel yourself or just use the Netboot kernel in the OVH Manager.
Im using Windows Neil.

I have come home yet again, and the server is in rescue mode, crashed again.

I have looked at the ticket which has been "closed" and all it says is network connector.

Now does this mean I have to sort the problem out myself (i cannot if its hardware issue with the NIC), does this mean my Network connector needs replacing? are OVH actually going to sort this problem out for me?

I have had a Windows server many times before and have not encoutered problems like this.

I am now getting to the stage where I am just going to cancel the server and NEVER touch OVH again, which is a shame, it really is, I have had many servers with OVH and they have been great, but this Storage Server has been an absolute nightmare it has never been stable for more than 24hrs.

In fact surely I am eligable for compensation am I not? a full refund maybe? The fact of the matter is the server has never worked properly!

I am really at the end of the road now, and ready to let OVH go permantley which really is a shame, as I have always recommended OVH and had only praise for them.

Sadly no longer.

Neil
27-07-2009, 09:32
There is a problem with Realtek networks cards and Linux, the problem was fixed in Kernel 2.6.28.4 and above, if the kernel on the Linux server is 2.6.27 then it would be affected by the problem.

You can update the Kernel yourself or just use the Netboot kernel in the OVH Manager.

rickyday
26-07-2009, 12:10
Seems it might be network adapter related.

The system detected that network adapter Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC #2 was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers.

Faulty Network Adapter possibly?

Im getting disconnects now, and when reconnecting the server has not rebooted.
I say the network adapter is faulty, motherboard replacement?

Updated Realtek driver will monitor the situation. Fingers Crossed!

rickyday
26-07-2009, 09:31
Right tinkering around again today.

Reinstalling OS, straight away error on reboot stage.

Seems to have been restarted now but i really am getting to the end of my tether with is.

rickyday
25-07-2009, 23:33
Well installed Linux, will have to sharpen up on my skills, will keep you all posted

EDIT Did not install Linux havent the time to learn a whole new OS, when Windows should work and not crash every 2minutes.
We dont have this problem at work and I dont have this problem at home.

derchris
25-07-2009, 22:32
Nope, thats something OVH has to do.
Unless you have the KVM option booked.
Then you could access Bios as well.

rickyday
25-07-2009, 22:28
Quote Originally Posted by derchris
I never get it why someone wants to run Winblows on a ded. server.
Believe me at the moment I will agree with you on that, im seriously looking at installing Linux on it tonight or tomorrow, I was just being lazy and its what i know, my nix is rather limited.

Quote Originally Posted by derchris
But anyway, how about disabling ACPI in Bios ?
I dont have access to the BIOS do I? Even when using KVM Netboot?

derchris
25-07-2009, 22:18
I never get it why someone wants to run Winblows on a ded. server.
But anyway, how about disabling ACPI in Bios ?

rickyday
25-07-2009, 21:19
Well managed to reboot the server and connect via RDC, not sooner had I connected, the server shutdown unexpectedly again (BSOD I presume)

Heres the info from Event Viewer.

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

Im going to Google this one.

rickyday
25-07-2009, 20:44
Quote Originally Posted by fozle
Ricky, when the server was up were you running anything on the server, virtual machines for instance?
No the server was hardly configured just a fair bit of disk access, but heavy disk access shouldnt crash (BSOD) the server, i have others that are a lot busier than the OVH one and they are rock solid.

I really think this is a hardware issue, perhaps alarm bells shouldve rang when i was first informed there was issues with the installation of this server.

I really like OVH im your best fan!
But Windows Server and OVH just dont seem to work, or perhaps its just me.

(I dont have the time for Linux sadly)

Edit ive done a hard reboot and even recieved an email saying the server is not responding to pings after that.......bad times

A lot of the defect emails explain theres a problem, but then the ticket has been closed saying even tho there was a defect, there isnt now??? and OVH have no idea? so its closed, something is wrong somewhere, Just look at the amount recieved since i left home this morning at 9am.

rickyday
25-07-2009, 20:39
Well all was well until today which is when I finally got around to configuring the server.

Why oh why is it such a problem with a Windows box and OVH

I have no such problems with other Windows Servers

Please help me with this OVH, I really am thinking about abandoning OVH for good now and moving to another host, I really DONT WANT TO.

I just cannot understand why Windows is such a problem with OVH servers????? and just wont run stable when under a slightly moderate load.

The rescue mode email says I can use VNC to access server, does this mean VNC only as I tried using RDC and would NOT connect allowing me to run tests.

rickyday
22-07-2009, 12:07
Quote Originally Posted by Marks
yesterday evening, an intervention was carried out to verify the BIOS and after, the installation finished properly. Could you give some feedback on that, please?
Thanks for your help with this guys, I will look into it today

marks
22-07-2009, 09:16
yesterday evening, an intervention was carried out to verify the BIOS and after, the installation finished properly. Could you give some feedback on that, please?

fozl
21-07-2009, 11:14
Ricky, when the server was up were you running anything on the server, virtual machines for instance?

As for the reinstallation, may be a different problem. Had you run a hardware check?

DedicatedPros
21-07-2009, 10:09
What was the issue with the server? Did those emails/tickets mention anything such as motherboard failure, hdd/ram issues etc.?

rickyday
21-07-2009, 10:00
Server at least up again after the 100th defect and now this when installing a new OS

Does not take this long to install an OS.

rickyday
21-07-2009, 08:40
Can OVH give me some information on what is happening with all these interventions on my week old server please?

The installation was delayed initially because there was some kind of issue with the server, (It may still have this issue)

I have now installed Windows 2008 32bit/64bit and 2003 and its constantly crashing, i was receiving a BSOD which further investigation on the web suggested a problem with the BIOS not being ACPI compatible, very strange.

The server has been having defects constantly for the last 8hrs.and this is from a fresh install of Windows Server 2003.
Im sure there is a hardware issue here.

An update please OVH