OVH Community, your new community space.

After reinstall to Proxmox V 1.3 cant install x64 !?

derchris
17-08-2009, 21:37
safe-upgrade
Upgrades installed packages to their most recent version. Installed packages will not be removed unless they are unused (see the section
"Managing Automatically Installed Packages" in the aptitude reference manual). Packages which are not currently installed may be installed to
resolve dependencies unless the --no-new-installs command-line option is supplied.

It is sometimes necessary to remove one package in order to upgrade another; this command is not able to upgrade packages in such situations. Use
the full-upgrade command to upgrade as many packages as possible.

ictdude
17-08-2009, 21:24
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Yeah, be careful with doing an upgrade as it'll break Perl as used by Proxmox and what's in the Debian packages. PS: Use "aptitude safe-upgrade"
What is the difference between the normal and safe-upgrade ?
How is Debian proceed then ? So what if you only need security updates ? What is the best to go ? Then aptitude safe-upgrade ? Some files will be skipped in the safe upgrade ?

Gues this is the answer: http://http://pthree.org/2007/09/24/...-safe-upgrade/

Aptitude Full-Upgrade Versus Safe-Upgrade:

aptitude safe-upgrade will not upgrade packages if:

relied dependencies have not been updated to the required version.
installing the upgrade means removing dependencies that other packages need.

aptitude full-upgrade will update packages unless:
the upgrade removes dependencies that other packages need

ictdude
17-08-2009, 21:17
Quote Originally Posted by NetSage
Well my setup will be for 2 windows KVMs so I'll just run the safe upgrade to be sure :P.
Befor you do this better also backup your VM's to the ftp backup you get from OVH. Just incase Just always be carefull a backup can save you a lot of troubles. I am to long in the ICT to know this ppfff ..Back-up back-up ...if not Murphy's law will hit you one day and then aarrrgg.

ictdude
17-08-2009, 21:12
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
I didn't need to do the upgrade actually (also using 1.3) and I'm running an Ubuntu 9.04 x64 VM without issues. I think this problem is more regarding the KVM (fully virtualized) and this I haven't tested with x64 on my install.
Damn yeah we gotta be carefull here. But i always backup my Vm's ppff. So better always back it up. I fixed the problem now by reinstalling PM again and then download the new KVM upgrade. Like this:
make a shh to your PM box and then:
1. wget ftp://pve.proxmox.com/debian/dists/l...86-3_amd64.deb
2. dpkg -i pve-kvm_86-3_amd64.deb

Then it will update the KVM module and all works again ppff:

dpkg -i pve-kvm_86-3_amd64.deb
(Reading database ... 31040 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace pve-kvm 86-1 (using pve-kvm_86-3_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement pve-kvm ...
Setting up pve-kvm (86-3) ...
Processing triggers for man-db .

Ovh Engineers better slipstream this update already in the "new" Proxmox build if not a lot of users will run into those problems when they reinstall to V 1.3. And this will have a extra load on the support desk

NetSage
17-08-2009, 20:39
Well my setup will be for 2 windows KVMs so I'll just run the safe upgrade to be sure :P.

Myatu
17-08-2009, 20:32
I didn't need to do the upgrade actually (also using 1.3) and I'm running an Ubuntu 9.04 x64 VM without issues. I think this problem is more regarding the KVM (fully virtualized) and this I haven't tested with x64 on my install.

NetSage
17-08-2009, 20:23
Umm since i'm ordering a proxmox server in a little bit here. Can you install x64 OSs then if you run the upgrade?

Myatu
17-08-2009, 20:08
Yeah, be careful with doing an upgrade as it'll break Perl as used by Proxmox and what's in the Debian packages. PS: Use "aptitude safe-upgrade"

ictdude
17-08-2009, 19:53
Quote Originally Posted by ictdude
Problem solved. Solution: https://www.proxmox.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8513 Dutch support gave me this info.

For me this did the trick: (You can read it in the link)

Just update my system with 'apt-get'.

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
This did work. I think after apt -get upgrade some stuff is messing up the system after reinstall OS twice problem:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, root and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

[4640]ERR: 24: Error in Perl code: 500 Usage: $h->push_header($field, $val)

Apache Embperl 2.2.0 [Mon Aug 17 20:43:39 2009]

I will try to reinstall OS Proxmox and only update one package as described in the Proxmox forum must be now next version: pve-kvm_86-3_amd64.deb
I will post it here if it works and how to..

ictdude
27-07-2009, 14:30
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
If you contact support with the server address of this server will look into this, does appear that it could be a BIOS or CPU issue.
Problem solved. Solution: https://www.proxmox.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8513 Dutch support gave me this info.

For me this did the trick: (You can read it in the link)

Just update my system with 'apt-get'.

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade

Neil
27-07-2009, 09:29
If you contact support with the server address of this server will look into this, does appear that it could be a BIOS or CPU issue.

ictdude
25-07-2009, 22:26
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
What is your server address and were you using the OVH Distribution if so we only offer that in 32Bit.

Did you originally use your own version of Proxmox?
Thnx for the reply. Its a bestOff server x64 machine. Because i needed to get my vm's running asap i did rent a second bestoff. And i think i will keep those two for redundancy. Proxmox will migrate servers easy. Last time support took more then a week to fix the problem. So for the time being all Vms x64 run at the second bestOff server x64 machine. At this moment i reinstall the problem server and see if it no accepts x64 machines. Befor it did. If problem is still there i let the support know.

Problems still there after reinstall:

Server is x64 its a best off. Gues i have to contact support good i have a second bestoff...

Neil
22-07-2009, 09:16
What is your server address and were you using the OVH Distribution if so we only offer that in 32Bit.

Did you originally use your own version of Proxmox?

ictdude
21-07-2009, 23:26
After reinstall to Proxmox V 1.3 error

When installing a x64 Linux distibution in KVM error:
Error: Your CPU does not support long mode. Use a 32bit distribution !!!??
in V 1.1 i could install x64 now i cant !!!! only 32 bit !??

So after reinstall promox V 1.3. i cant install a 64 systen !!!???
So now i cant restore my x64 VM's !!!! Big problem !!!