OVH Community, your new community space.

Setup Time

Neil
24-07-2009, 21:16
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
I guess it all depends how lucky you are. I havn't needed any support yet. I'm trying to keep it at way
Well, we are standing by

freshwire
24-07-2009, 21:04
I guess it all depends how lucky you are. I havn't needed any support yet. I'm trying to keep it at way

Andy
24-07-2009, 13:05
By slow, people mean 24 hours, or on a weekend 72 hours. I've generally had no issues. If you need quick support, phone them

darkfyre
24-07-2009, 11:18
Ive read a lot of reviews saying support is slow on OVH

Well my very first ticket answered in an hour.

Last night, i got my new machine and installed my kernel then rebooted and the system failed to come back up. I assumed it was the raid checking disk for errors. after a while i hard rebooted - this didnt bring my system up. I tried rescue mode and still nothing.

30 minutes or so later i get an email saying operation motherboard replaced as detected faulty.

honestly thats the fastest support ive ever had.

so support at OVH in my opinion is not slow, they replaced hardware as soon as they knew there was a fault.

darkfyre
23-07-2009, 17:02
Marks - you must have magic fingers as my server is ready just as i read your message.

I do agree with you, ive had servers from leaseweb, choopa, poundhost, racksrv and blacklotus just to name a few in the last five years or so (some of which i still have) and the average tunraround is usually 2 days. You got my box up in less then 24 hours - thanks.

however it may be worth making a note on your website about whats the 1 hour and 72 hour availability mean ?

thanks

marks
23-07-2009, 16:47
There availability in the website reflects the number of servers that could be made available within an hour opposed to 72 hours.

That is, if there is 0 servers in 1 hour, you can be sure that you won't have it that quick, but if there are, it's highly possible that you'll have it within 1 hour, but not guaranteed.

That's because to deliver servers in 1 hour 100% sure, requires much more infrastructure that we have. Most of the server will be that quick, but there is a small percentage of installations that require some intervention, and that somehow is not expected.

So, those servers shown in the availability are really there in stock, ready to be ordered, but the installations can yet come up with problems.

Yet I think that delivery within is a very good time comparing to other companies :-)

darkfyre
23-07-2009, 16:21
I didnt get an email with the hostname or login info.

I got the hostname from the 'order status' section where it says the hardware has been assigned and the next step is to install FreeBSD.

I only hope they dont stop work at 5pm

update - ooh, ive just noticed a new rsa key is assigned so they are playing with the box ! looks like i should be setup tonight! *excited*

this is what i do when i should be studying, ccna exams on monday and im buying and playing with servers! just so i dont have to study

Tz-OVH
23-07-2009, 16:19
I've never received a hostname (IP) without the login info at the same time.

Sure its not in the same email?

DedicatedPros
23-07-2009, 16:08
That's still not that bad, I've waited 4-5 days before Try explaining that to an angry client lol

darkfyre
23-07-2009, 15:30
the reply to my support email was pretty good, just over an hour.

I guess mine will be ready soon as the server dss key changed recently so they prolly just installed the OS.

woot, ive been looking forward to this box since yesterday

DedicatedPros
23-07-2009, 15:24
I agree, but you also have to take into consideration that OVH has divisions in 11 (right?) countries, so this could get a little mixed up, and the fact that that's just a general guideline. I just order an EG BestOf yesterday around 11am, and ended up getting it this morning (the site said 1 hour), its just the way things are

Though I think the all around time of processing requests at ovh could be faster (not just the orders, but also the emails for vKVM/rescue-pro, and quantity options in the manager would be nice, its painful ordering failover ips the way the system has it now).

darkfyre
23-07-2009, 14:27
hi - This is not a moan because my server isnt ready yet, more of a clarification on terms on the ovh.co.uk website and a note for other potential customers.

I decided to buy a dedicated server last night, the ovh.co.uk website said

33 servers available within 1 hour
13 servers available within 72 hours

Cool - ill have my server up and running in no time, so i ordered and paid by debit card (because ovh.co.uk said 'instant activation' if pay by debit card) - even better, ill 100% have my server within the hour.

A few mins later I received an email saying order placed and payment received, along with a page to check my order progress.

I have been given a server hostname (which resolves to an IP) - so I thought, cool, the hardware has been assigned and they are installing the OS.

When I open a SSH to the server im prompted for login info .. so I think "cool, they will email this any minute"

Anyway, almost a day has passed and my 1 hour server isnt available. I emailed support and was told it can take 72 hours ..

My question and I realise this is only community support is

1 - why do ovh say they have X amount of servers to be setup within 1 hour when this doesnt seem to be correct, am i misunderstanding it?

Just seems to me like they got me all excited about getting my hands on a new box quick just to have me wait longer than they said before i ordered. Also, the hardware is obv connected and a hostname assigned, so im guessing its waiting on someone installing the OS .. so there is no delay in availability.

Meh- Im happy to wait 72 hours, but for future buyers who fall in the 'setup in 1 hour and instant activation if you pay by Debit card' - be careful and dont sit up preparing all your 'install and secure freebsd notes' just to go to bed disappointed.

To be honest - its better to give customers realistic expectations about setup time up front, not advertise something then hide real setup times in small print.