OVH Community, your new community space.

My thoughts on vKVM

IainK
27-04-2008, 13:53
If you wouldn't mind, Andy, could you please take note of your DNS servers next time your accessing via vKVM and also whether or not it replaces your NIC with a tunneling adaptor on Windows.

On Linux it completely replaces the network card and I can't get online.

Andy
27-04-2008, 12:26
vKVM has never worked properly for me when I've used it. The mouse doesn't line up on the screen properly and if you move it too fast it comes out of the VNC window and back onto your own machine as your normal mouse. You then have to move your mouse around the outside of the VNC box and enter at the bottom in order to continue moving the mouse upwards. Its totally stupid.

With regards to no internet, every time I have tried it I have had internet no problem.

IainK
26-04-2008, 23:19
Hopefully OVH staff will read this and maybe comment, or at least take note:

Firstly has anyone noticed that a few of the stock installed operating systems do not come with the en_GB.iso88591 locale, meaning that when a user with Windows XP (English British) keyboard signs in to KVM and gets assigned the "keymap: uk" via java, the characters are not mapped correctly, at all.
e.g. The (#) symbol is a number 3.

This problem is rectified when the en_GB.iso88591 locale is installed and default (which it really should be on a UK server!)

Also the views expressed on the forums saying it's terribly slow and unusable are completely off the mark, at least in my experience. I reboot with vKVM and have my access details exactly 3 minutes after the hardware reboot. I have a 20mbit down/768k up connection, so nothing fancy.
I find it very usable, typing is almost real time, the only delay can be with scrolling line by line.

The tunneling network card is a little weird though.
Because eth0 isn't up the Internet isn't available so can't download fixes/patches.
I presume in a dual NIC box this wouldn't be a problem.

Overall though, it's a great tool! Especially when you don't happen to have OpenSSH installed