OVH Community, your new community space.

2 (3) domains "suspended"

DedicatedPros
07-08-2009, 17:43
Well you forgot to mention that third domain, I think it speaks for itself really (I did lol at the name but that does not help you )

fozl
07-08-2009, 17:27
Quote Originally Posted by over9000
10.2 (b) (ii)

(ii) used to send unsolicited marketing communications or in a
manner inconsistent with the generally accepted standards of
conduct relating to the use of the Internet or with any
applicable law or regulation.

I'm sorry, that bears no relation to the domain name(s) that are in question here.

The guy who got me to register the domain is actually black himself, I know this as I just spoke with him.

Can someone just please tell me how to get the domains transferred?
Actually the article above does justify the suspensions in this case:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incitem..._racial_hatred

This offence refers to:

* deliberately provoking hatred of a racial group
* distributing racist material to the public
* making inflammatory public speeches
* creating racist websites on the Internet
* inciting inflammatory rumours about an individual or an ethnic group, for the purpose of spreading racial discontent.
I think that with the third domain name you registered, ni**erbeater.co.uk, it's reasonable I think to ask that you contact Nominet to arrange moving your domain names elswhere. Ovh do not want to be involved in breaching the above legislation and it should be possible to avoid this kind of unpleasantness in future without becoming embroiled in a freedom of speech and censorship debate. The process of moving your domain names is quite straight forward, and can be done via Nominet.

over9000
07-08-2009, 03:27
10.2 (b) (ii)

(ii) used to send unsolicited marketing communications or in a
manner inconsistent with the generally accepted standards of
conduct relating to the use of the Internet or with any
applicable law or regulation.

I'm sorry, that bears no relation to the domain name(s) that are in question here.

The guy who got me to register the domain is actually black himself, I know this as I just spoke with him.

Can someone just please tell me how to get the domains transferred?

derchris
07-08-2009, 02:48
Well, have a look at the Terms for Domain registrations.

http://www.ovh.co.uk/customerspace/t...OMAIN_NAME.pdf

10.2 (b) (ii)

So this is pretty clear to me.

over9000
07-08-2009, 01:24
Another thing is that I think that is very strange that this all happens when I phone tech support and complain heavily about my RPS going down all the time.

It seems that this has been done because of my complaints about the service. I tell you now, I most certainly will not be doing more business with OVH when the RPS contract ends.

How can you treat your customers this way when they complain?

Them domains have been registered for 8 months, and the day I complain is the day you decide to do this.

Please just tell me how I need to fix my domains as I have an unhappy customer wanting to know when he will be able to access them and get his sites back online.

over9000
07-08-2009, 01:05
Also, you have not provided me with information on how to do this through nominet.

Please can you advise me on what I need to do to get my domains sorted out through nominet?

over9000
06-08-2009, 23:48
Hi,

I don;t understand why you have to be difficult.

Please can you allow me to transfer the domains so that I do not have to complain to nominet. It is not your place to censor domain names in this fashion and it is bang out of order for you to do so.

I would like a reply as to what you are going to do: either allow me to transfer the domains, or stay as you are and be awkward and make me take the nominet route.

Please get back to me.

Myatu
06-08-2009, 15:38
Quote Originally Posted by darkfyre
this is actually the first time iver ever heard of a registar locking domains based on the name of them. Ive only ever heard of registar's refusing to host these domains, not lock them :-S
First time I've heard that too, but I can understand OVH's reasoning.

What I wonder now, is when will OVH consider a domain name offensive? For one, each person's tolerance for "a bad joke" vs. "racism" is different.

Next, what if the domain was registered in a foreign language? Let's say that by chance it's something horribly bad in French, but it's perfectly fine in the domain owner's country of origin, let's say Sweden...

OVH could consider it offensive, and suspends it. Then the Swedes are all up in arms about it because, according to them, it is not offensive?

Anyhow, guess it's time for ammending your ToS, darkfyre... "I (we) will not register domain names which are .... "

Here's an interesting example regarding domains... One is registered as "penisland.net". Now, you could consider that to be an X-rated adult website. However, someone in marketing didn't think this through because is the website for Pen Island.

darkfyre
06-08-2009, 11:48
i dont think they allow .co.uk domain registration .. also hes not got a problem with hosting, he hosts them himself and ovh didnt pull the plug on his hosting.

Just barred the domain names - very strange

unclebob
06-08-2009, 11:41
http://prq.to would probably host your domains

darkfyre
06-08-2009, 11:36
If i understand what S0phie said was - we wont release your domains so you need to go via the nominet route to get them moved to another registar which means a charge of £10 from nominet.

Would it not be in the best interest for ovh to allow a transfer of the domains to another registar without forcing their client to go via nominet, especially when there has not been any apparent breach of terms and conditions ?

If you have any problems transfering them - check out http://www.nominet.org.uk/registrant...in/complaints/ ..

this is actually the first time iver ever heard of a registar locking domains based on the name of them. Ive only ever heard of registar's refusing to host these domains, not lock them :-S

Euan
06-08-2009, 11:30
Seems a bit wierd that OVH would even get involved in this, other than being the domain registrar your terms of services does not say anything about offensive words when it comes to domains.

Obviously what they are using is pretty pathetic but should not be any reason for OVH to get involved. You should probably make this clear in the ToS or registration process that you do not tolerate such things ( rightly so ).

S0phie
06-08-2009, 09:36
OVH does not tolerate domains with racial hatred / offensive words that may harm the dignity of human beings or breach the public order.

We have suspended 3 of your domains. We now recommend you to get in touch with Nominet to get them back.

darkfyre
05-08-2009, 22:49
As they are .co.uk you should contact nominet on 01865 332244 or email nominet@nominet.org.uk for further advice.

but, maybe call OVH first, may just be an error or simple reason for this happening, i doubt they would do anything unlawful.

http://www.nominet.org.uk/registrant...registrar/faq/

good luck

over9000
05-08-2009, 22:47
This is the email that I got from them.

You will find it very strange indeed. They cannot do this, as I registered the domain on his behalf and I am the legal owner of the domains and I have just read the terms and conditions and acceptable use policy and these domains or their registration do not break any rules.

They have also been registered as follows:

Creation date : 2009-01-21
Expiration date : 2010-01-21

State : suspendu

I find it strange to phone technical support today to get help with my RPS being down and having a bad experience in the way of support, I also voiced this, and now this happens?.

Why is this happening to a domain that has been registered for almost 8 months been "suspended" when in the terms and conditions that the domain actually becomes the "goods" of the customer wholly and legally.

On that matter, if I do not get control of the domains back so I can at least transfer them, which I will immediately, I will be looking to take this further as they are my legal property.

darkfyre
05-08-2009, 22:36
transfer them away from ovh then

you are the legal owner of the domain name so all a company can do is block you from using their hosting/dns - but you can always recover your domain.

ive had experince in the past where one of my clients choose a rather offensive domain - (not with ovh) but my host at the time refused to host the dns ... i just moved it to godaddy and its worked a treat since.

ovh cannot block a transfer out of a domain name as far as i know ..

edit - yeah confirmed, "The registrar must provide you with the Auth-Info code within 5 calendar days of your request." so you can easily move providers to lessen the downtime for your client

over9000
05-08-2009, 22:33
No.

It is not the hosting. It's hosted by me on my server, if you read I did mention it.

And he wasn't hosting anything illegal on them in any way shape or form.

It's the domain names that have been suspended, which is my main point. My customers domains have been suspended and there is nothing in the terms and conditions relating to this.

darkfyre
05-08-2009, 22:30
i assume its the hosting which has been suspended? in that case its likely there were files stored which violated the terms and conditions and you would need to speak with ovh directly about that.

a quick solution might be to get some hosting and point your dns to the new host

over9000
05-08-2009, 22:16
Hi there,

I have domains that I have registered on behalf of my customers for their hosting accounts.

The two domains are as follows (I must warn you that one of them contains and offensive racist term, but it was not my choice, and please do not be offended by it):

nig*erwaffles.co.uk

and

lollercaust.co.uk

Now, for some reason, after all this time they have been suspended. Now, these domains were registered on behalf of one of my customers, who has paid for these domains and has links pointing to them and has spent some considerable amount of time building up traffic for his domains and is understandably quite upset that his domains have been suspended. The thing is is that his anger is being directed at me, because I sold him his hosting and his domain names.

Now I can see that the first domain name has an offensive word on it, but this is not the business of anyone other than the owner. The site has only been used for his file storage and does not even contain a website, and when he asked me to set him up, I obviously questioned myself on the domain name, but it's his business after all, and it doesnt affect me or anyone else in any way.

There are far more offensive domain names on the internet in my point of view, and I want some advice as to why this has happened, and the email I received said that the domain had expired despite the warning that had been sent to me. Now, I have not received any warning in relation to these domain names. If I did I could have at least forewarned the guy and had time to consult on the issue with customer support on the issue.

Would someone care to explain to me how I get these domains reinstated, as the way that I see it you cannot take these domain names down just because one os deemed to have an offensive word in it.

And the other domain name, why has that been taken down at all? From what I have garnered from a google search the definition of a lollercaust is as follows:

Comedy on a massive scale

There is also a YouTube channel by the name of lollercaust, so what is wrong with it?

And apart from all that, the internet is all about free speech and who are any of us to limit that right, whether it be based on the selection of domain names or anything else to the matter.

It is the biggest arena for freespeech that we have got and domain names are nothing more that numbers or letters and any customer should be allowed to register any combination of them that they like.

I look forward to hearing a response to this post, and I thank you in advance for your reply.