OVH Community, your new community space.

MS Server 2008 UK IP

Gabe
18-08-2009, 12:03
Quote Originally Posted by Darren
By the way - I take it you are using the Data Center edition of 2008 then to enable the virtualisation or have you done this under proxmox?
I use DC for the unlimited virtualisaion rights, but you can run HyperV on any version of Server 2008 (maybe not web?).

1 vm with standard
4 vms with enterprise
unlimited with DC

The windows licencing situation is the same regardless of your choice of hypervisor.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/a...alization.aspx

Darren
18-08-2009, 11:24
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Did you reboot after adding the IP's? Turn your firewall off completely while testing.
I did yes, but I have also done the trace and the failovers ar enot ending up at my primary IP address, so I've raised a ticket on this. Once they ping I'll start again.

Andy
18-08-2009, 11:21
Did you reboot after adding the IP's? Turn your firewall off completely while testing.

Darren
18-08-2009, 11:16
Thanks Gabe, I've done the trace and neither failover IP's I have added are routed to my server IP....
By the way - I take it you are using the Data Center edition of 2008 then to enable the virtualisation or have you done this under proxmox?

Gabe
18-08-2009, 10:47
yup - i have failovers working on 2008. added a loopback adapter, assigned the failover IP, enabled RRAS for routing.

Im not sure if you need RRAS if you are just running a standard server, but as I am using virtualisation I need it to allow my VMs to route through the host server.

Also, do a tracert to the failover IP from your home / work computer & check that the last sucessful hop is the primary IP of your server. This confirms that the failover is routed properly & that the problem is down to the way you have configured your server.

I have on occasion had a problem where a failover isnt properly routed by OVH. The first time this happend I spent ages looking at my config before I worked out what the problem was. I guess this is pretty rare but its worth doing the check to potentially save hours of frustration!

Darren
18-08-2009, 07:23
Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
The only way I have got this working on Windows is by using virtualisation. The guest OS is assigned a UK IP and connections made from it appear to be from the UK. Your Server 2008 licence covers you for at least one Windows guest, so if you are prepared to take a small performance hit this might work for you.

or... you could try this http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/forcebindip/ never used it myself so cant say how well (or not!) it works.
Thanks, currently struggling t get the failover IP to even ping, tried both the loopback approach and the adding an IP to an existing network adapter as Andy mentioned in one of his posts I think. Also tried diabling firewall but with no luck. Have you got a failover working on server 2008? was there anything additional that needs doing other than mentioned in the IPAlias notes for server 2003?

Gabe
17-08-2009, 22:02
The only way I have got this working on Windows is by using virtualisation. The guest OS is assigned a UK IP and connections made from it appear to be from the UK. Your Server 2008 licence covers you for at least one Windows guest, so if you are prepared to take a small performance hit this might work for you.

or... you could try this http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/forcebindip/ never used it myself so cant say how well (or not!) it works.

Andy
17-08-2009, 15:22
Ah OK, I was just thinking on the basis of the site appearing to be from the UK in searches on Google for example.

freshwire
17-08-2009, 14:43
Outgoing IP is required for example if you use the system as a proxy when wanting to appear to be in the UK.

Andy
17-08-2009, 12:59
Shouldn't it only matter what the incoming IP is? I believe the bots would look for that rather than the outgoing. I could be mistaken though.

freshwire
17-08-2009, 11:40
It is possible. But I don't know how for windows.

See (linux): http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2311

Darren
17-08-2009, 11:30
The topic of how to achieve an outgoing UK IP has been touched upon in various posts but I am unable to find a post that explains if this can be achieved and how to set this up under server 2008.
Is anyone able to shed some light on whether :
a) its posible to configure an outgoing UK IP address
b) how this would be achieved under MS server 2008

any ideas much appreciated......