OVH Community, your new community space.

MX Record problem...

impstimp
23-08-2009, 11:43
Hi,

It's finally fixed

CNAME records were actually causing part of the problem along with incorrect details in the hostname. Thanks to everyone for their help, especially Monkey56657, he was a great help all the way through, cheers buddy

freshwire
22-08-2009, 11:58
I'm guessing it won't update.

$ dig mx @dns1.registrar-servers.com --------.com

... comes back blank.

As I sent via email:

> Set the MX as this:
>
> hostname = -------.com
> mailserver host name = mail.-------.com
> mx pref = 10
>
> then set an A record as this:
>
> hostname = mail.-------.com
> ip address = xx.xx.xxx.xxx
>

impstimp
22-08-2009, 11:27
The trailing . is what namcheap adds in on the end of each record

I've changed again on your recommendations and will leave to see if it fixes...I hope so

impstimp
22-08-2009, 11:20
Hi,

I wrote to namecheap about this also. They sent me a reply and I made the changes but still have this problem... Not entirely sure what's up with it

freshwire
22-08-2009, 10:44
At the moment (visible from outside) he has:

CNAME mapping domain.com to domain.com
A record for domain.com to

Nothing with MX. I provided for him the correct setup but I have no idea what he's doing right now.

Myatu
22-08-2009, 07:20
Quote Originally Posted by impstimp
HOST NAME MAILSERVER HOST NAME MAIL TYPE MX PREF
@ mail.domain.com. 10
mail mail.domain.com 10
The 2nd line is incorrect. There's no trailing dot/period following "mail.domain.com" -- this might be a typo on your end. If Namescheap is using Bind (and I don't know as the config shown isn't in standard Bind format), then this could will be translated into "mail.domain.com.domain.com" due to that missing dot.

Also, if it was correct with a trailing period, then this line would mean that mail to "someone@mail.domain.com" gets sent to "mail.domain.com". Notice the "@mail.domain.com". If this is not your intention, or your mail server will not accept/understand mail sent to "someone@mail.domain.com", then this line is not needed.

You should also make sure you have an A record (never CNAME) for "mail.domain.com".

Lastly, you also need an A record for "@", which is likely what is causing the 451 error. That is, "mydomain.com" doesn't resolve to an IP addres as there's no entry for it in the DNS server (perhaps?)

freshwire
21-08-2009, 12:44
Quote Originally Posted by impstimp
mail sent.
Replied.

impstimp
21-08-2009, 12:43
mail sent.

freshwire
21-08-2009, 12:38
This is one of my email accounts yes.

impstimp
21-08-2009, 12:36
this is your mail ?

freshwire
21-08-2009, 12:33
If you prefer send the message:

impstimp
21-08-2009, 12:27
I'd rather not, its adult domain and I tihnk you understand what I mean in the post without having to post real domain

freshwire
21-08-2009, 12:19
email@mydomain.com

yet you say domain.com in the MX record

If you can provide your real domain name it might help.

impstimp
21-08-2009, 11:59
Hi,

We're receiving this error from a lot of hosts about mails we send:

451 #4.1.8 Domain of sender address does not resolve

The domain is setup at namecheap, we're using the namecheap DNS, we have no problems with the websites and subdomains, its just the MX record I believe that's causing the problem, this is what we have at namecheap:

HOST NAME MAILSERVER HOST NAME MAIL TYPE MX PREF
@ mail.domain.com. 10
mail mail.domain.com 10

We have also an A record setup for mail / IP Address

Any suggestions, are we missing something here? Do we need to be adding anything to the server?

Thanks a lot for any advice / help anyone can give